Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #57
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Any progress report or pics on this kit yet?
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #58
LittleMT
user bann'd

Drives: Chevy SS
the GT35R is a nasty turbo for a 4 banger, my SRT made 637hp with one, and when the boost hits, it is violent. I am very curious as to twin 35r's on the new Camaro. Intriguing to say the least....

Chantilly Lace, the 2011 Rockabilly Jukebox..ADM built..617rwhp, geared A6.
LittleMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:48 PM   #59
SupremacyCustoms

Drives: black 2010 2ss/rs camaro
Not yet but soon.
SupremacyCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #60
SupremacyCustoms

Drives: black 2010 2ss/rs camaro
Keeping everything under wraps until were ready
SupremacyCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:57 PM   #61
dracer98
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Hugger Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Any T/T top mounted options in the works? GM left plenty of room so someone should fill the gap.......
Pleeze - no more top mount turbo mistakes
dracer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #62
LittleMT
user bann'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracer98 View Post
why do you say this? whom did a top mount mistake?

Old 06-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #63
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracer98 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMT View Post
why do you say this? whom did a top mount mistake?
I think what he was referring to was the question or statement by OAG. OAG asked about top mount turbos and Dracer98 was saying do not top mount the turbos - (which I agree with)

OAG says there is plenty of room for top mount turbos but they really do not fit up top very well while still leaving room to allow for easy access to everything. When you factor in how clean the system works and looks when mounting the turbos down low - the choice becomes easy.

Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #64
LittleMT
user bann'd

I am going to purchase a 2011 Camaro in the future, and I will turbo it. So thats why I am reading and posting in all the threads here. At this point I am leaning towards a top mounted turbo, a single, which to me seems like a simplier kit, with less parts, less potential for failure. I don't like the idea of having to use a scavenging oil return pump to pump the oil from the turbos back into the engine, rather in a top mount, gravity now works in ones favor. With that said, my GTO is twin turbo with the turbos mounted down low, so I do have experience with such a setup. Anyways, at this point I am open to any system, but again, I am leaning towards a top mounted system.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #65
Z_Rocks

Quote:
I am going to purchase a 2011 Camaro in the future, and I will turbo it. So thats why I am reading and posting in all the threads here. At this point I am leaning towards a top mounted turbo, a single, which to me seems like a simplier kit, with less parts, less potential for failure. I don't like the idea of having to use a scavenging oil return pump to pump the oil from the turbos back into the engine, rather in a top mount, gravity now works in ones favor. With that said, my GTO is twin turbo with the turbos mounted down low, so I do have experience with such a setup. Anyways, at this point I am open to any system, but again, I am leaning towards a top mounted system.
If I could only point out ONE issue related to Single turbo's disadvantage (and to me is a major one), is the heat generated and radiated from the turbo. There are lots of sensors and critical items there that are made out of plastic which were not designed to withstand the extra heat. That massive extra heat will deteriorate all the rubbers and plastics and eventually the paint on the hood. You need a constant stream of air blowing away the heat from the hot side of the turbo. It doesn't matter even if you wrap it, because you will still get the heat radiation. Heat is the number one destroyer of your parts.
Down blow, there is already a stream of air coming from the radiator fan, while the car is standing, and when is moving you get the natural cooling system from air travel. That's why many people go with STS. However, STS suffers, because lots of heat energy is lots, by the time it gets to the turbo.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #66
LittleMT
user bann'd

good point, the heat is a concern, with that said, and I know I am now about to speak about a different car, my SRT-4 neon with a GT35R snail, shows no ill effects from the heat, as far as sensors or the underhood paint, but again, that is a different car. Anyways good point, I am considering all things, at this stage in the game, we have no proof yet what a single turbo does, as far as damage is concerned to the Camaro so it seems to me that you are speculating, unless you do have video proof of what will occur? None-the-less, I appreciate your input and will consider it.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #67
Z_Rocks

Quote:
good point, the heat is a concern, with that said, and I know I am now about to speak about a different car, my SRT-4 neon with a GT35R snail, shows no ill effects from the heat, as far as sensors or the underhood paint, but again, that is a different car. Anyways good point, I am considering all things, at this stage in the game, we have no proof yet what a single turbo does, as far as damage is concerned to the Camaro so it seems to me that you are speculating, unless you do have video proof of what will occur? None-the-less, I appreciate your input and will consider it.
Actually, you brought up a perfectly designed top mounted single turbo car - SRT4. If you recall, where it was located, behind and engine and how it was shielded from the firewall. But most importantly, if you remember the front opening on the hood and how it pointed the air directly at the turbo, pushing the heat down to under the car. If anyone can build that design for Camaro, then I retrieve my concern of the heat. Same designs were done with STi, Evo and even people who put single Turbo on the Supra. You have to have air blowing at the hot side to dissipate the heat.

It's too early for Single turbos to show heat issues yet, and even when they do, members won't be barging about why their electric wires are breaking a part or rubber hoses are splitting.

If you can create some sort of RAM Air tunnel from the front of the car pointing at the hot side, then you're better off.

Just give it lots of thoughts...
Old 06-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #68
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Last edited by Granatelli; 06-21-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #69
LittleMT
user bann'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post
I could not say that any better!

LittleMT - What problems have you had with your APS kit? To say you are afraid of the scavenge pump failing is like saying you want a mechanical fuel pump in case the electronic one goes out. The chances are few and far between. It is a fallacy that the twin has more of a “plumbing issue”. The time it takes to install the cross over to get both exh pipes up to one turbo is the same time you would spend to install the other turbo. Once the turbo plumbs into the intercooler the plumbing is the same as 1 2 or 4 turbos. It is easy
I have had the kit on the GTO for almost 3 years now. I have one issue now, and that is the cheap hoses APS used on the scavenger oil pump and the return feeds from the turbos. They are all cracked to crap. Now this was due to a inferior hose that APS put in their kit, however, if this was a top mounted turbo system, I wouldn't even have any of those parts to even worry about. With bottom mounted turbos, one must be concerned with a possible failure of the scavenger oil pump, bad hoses, possible leaks. More piece of mind to me with a top mount whereby these parts are not even there. I simply see this as a potential failure point that a top mount kit doesn't owner doesn't have to worry about.

Now, with that said, I still could still wind up with a twin bottom mount kit on my future Camaro and be happy, be it yours or another vendor, I can only stress, use a damn good pump and high quality hoses, even if it adds to the price of the kit.

Last edited by LittleMT; 06-21-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:49 PM   #70
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
If I could only point out ONE issue related to Single turbo's disadvantage (and to me is a major one), is the heat generated and radiated from the turbo. There are lots of sensors and critical items there that are made out of plastic which were not designed to withstand the extra heat. That massive extra heat will deteriorate all the rubbers and plastics and eventually the paint on the hood. You need a constant stream of air blowing away the heat from the hot side of the turbo. It doesn't matter even if you wrap it, because you will still get the heat radiation. Heat is the number one destroyer of your parts.
Down blow, there is already a stream of air coming from the radiator fan, while the car is standing, and when is moving you get the natural cooling system from air travel. That's why many people go with STS. However, STS suffers, because lots of heat energy is lots, by the time it gets to the turbo.
I could not say that any better!

LittleMT - What problems have you had with your APS kit? To say you are afraid of the scavenge pump failing is like saying you want a mechanical fuel pump in case the electronic one goes out. The chances are few and far between. It is a fallacy that the twin has more of a “plumbing issue”. The time it takes to install the cross over to get both exh pipes up to one turbo is the same time you would spend to install the other turbo. Once the turbo plumbs into the intercooler the plumbing is the same as 1 2 or 4 turbos. It is easy