Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #85
SupremacyCustoms

Drives: black 2010 2ss/rs camaro
I love the gt35r great turbo and its the same one that we are using in our kit. Jeff, you guys did a great job.
SupremacyCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #86
IPSjeff

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSjeff View Post
If one would like to argue that Turbonetics is superior to Garrett than that is his perogative. Quality arguements aside though, one is cheaper in the current market than the other (When comparing same size / kind) and I am sure that factors in to most consumers decision as to which is best for them.
To "Support" this claim, here is current pricing with a 10-second google search for both the PTE 6265's and the Garrett GT3582's. I used the same site so that pricing isn't "Skewed" in any way (I am sure both can be found cheaper and for more money on Ebay or other sites):

PT 6265 goes for $899 in Billet but non-BB form: http://www.extremepsi.com/store/cust...at=1652&page=1

GT3582 goes for $1270 in BB but non-billet form: http://www.extremepsi.com/store/cust...at=1119&page=1

When a pair of turbos is costing you $1798 instead of $2540 that is pretty good motivation to choose the cheaper alternative

We decided the Garrett was worth the extra coin and THEN added another $798 for the Tial housings on top of that:

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...ss_Steel/11459

Just didn't want to leave a "One is cheaper than the other" claim hanging out there without proof to back it up
Jeff
IPSjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #87
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
Quote:
This is a comparison test on an EVO so take it for what you will, but this a test of your PTE 6265's Vs the Larger (Than 3076R's) GT3582R's in .82 A/R form. Not a good representation in the power making department as compared to the larger 1.03 or 1.06 A/R housings we use, but you get an idea of just how much better the HTA 3582's spool-up compared to the 6265's assuming the same sized housings are used:

82HTA vs the 6265 turbo on the dyno, my results.

I thought that this might be a good comparison to make. Of course I am somewhat biased towards FP, being the founder and President of the corporation, but nevertheless this was a question I wanted answered.

So I searched out a good running GT3582HTA car, and dyno, and a tuner, then procured a PTE 6265 turbo and we did the following test. I got the cooperation of these people by promising not to identify any of them. So I guess I should point out that if you want to believe that I just made all this up out of thin air, you are welcome to believe that, I will not argue against you.

This car has, of course, a full out race motor and is very happy operating at high boost on race gas. Both turbos featured the same type .82 A/R turbine housing.

The 82HTA compressor is a 59mm inducer, while the 6265 is larger at 62mm. Both wheels are billet, but not equal. The HTA wheels are made in 2000 series aluminum while the PTE ones are only 6061 aluminum. Grab your material science text book and look how different the strengths of these two materials are at a typical operating temp of about 400F.

The 82HTA wheel has an inlet area of about 2730mm^2 while the PTE 6265 wheel has an inlet area of about 3020mm^2, that is about 10% greater inlet area for the PTE wheel. 10% larger inlet area that apparently does not necessarily equate to additional airflow.

Both turbos were tested within .5psi of boost pressure and at the same AFR and same ignition timing maps and within 4 hours of each other on the same day. I told the car owner that he could keep the PTE 6265 turbo for free if he was able to get any more power out of it. He could not. Ultimately he returned the turbocharger to me and put his 3582HTA back on the car.

Imagine for a moment that you could line up these two cars (well it was one car but just ride with me for a min here) on the highway in 3rd or 4th gear at about 4500RPM and said GO! The difference in vehicle acceleration would be HUGE. There is over 100ftlb difference in TQ, and that carries all the way thru till about 6krpm or so. This is the sort of difference that that you can feel taste and smell.

Cliffs: I would be willing to bet that in HTA flavor a pair of GT3076R's w/ 1.06 A/R housings to minimize back-pressure and maximize flow will be the ticket for any SS client looking for the best turbo for their stock LS3 / L99. Spool will be much better than the GT3582's used on the prototype car (Which was still very good IMO) and they are flow-rated identically so there will be no drop-off in peak power at all. It is a win-win
Jeff
good GOD you have to rev to limit to get hp, that sux
Old 07-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #88
IPSjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliman93230 View Post
The joy's of having 2.0L of displacement
Jeff
Old 07-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #89
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
I surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post
We already know - Like I said before look at what you get and the design layout - Quality and Pride in workmanship on this kit is key

Nothing needs to cross over - everything is independant until the intercooler

Filter draw cool air and NO WATER - again no mating issues with air filters

Agreeably - they all look the same on top

Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #90
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Quote:

When a pair of turbos is costing you $1798 instead of $2540 that is pretty good motivation to choose the cheaper alternative

We decided the Garrett was worth the extra coin and THEN added another $798 for the Tial housings on top of that:

Just didn't want to leave a "One is cheaper than the other" claim hanging out there without proof to back it up
Jeff
Following this theory - You should all sell your Camaros and purchase ZR1's - that will eliminate the "One is cheaper than the other" claim
Old 07-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #91
Granatelli
Account Suspended

The next 7 kits ship today. All your cards have been charged. Let us know how they work

Last edited by Granatelli; 07-14-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #92
IPSjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post
Following this theory - You should all sell your Camaros and purchase ZR1's - that will eliminate the "One is cheaper than the other" claim
This analogy would be accurate if GM started giving away LS9 upgrades for the price of rust-proofing
Jeff
Old 07-15-2010, 01:12 AM   #93
alab32

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Sheesh... Some battles going on here...
alab32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:51 AM   #94
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliman93230 View Post
Not so bad when you have a 9k rev limit though.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #95
IPSjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by alab32 View Post
Sheesh... Some battles going on here...
I hope I have sprinkled enough sarcasm in to show that is all in good fun on my end. To be honest, I am flattered our kit has got as much attention as it has from other vendors. If it sucked there would have been no need to reference it all
Jeff
Old 07-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #96
klandry

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro Black Bandit
klandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #97
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Great Self Promo - Big Credit for that. I am not sure anyone ever referenced your kit - you just keep referencing it yourself. Dracer98 (who got kick off) was the one that gave factual engineering theory and Physics principles as to why a given amount of boost can only support a given amount of power – then XXXpaintball showed up with like 4 posts and claim A/F ratios were the determining factor as to how much power an engine can make based on boost (which he was wrong)
Old 07-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #98
HELLION TURBO

Drives: Twin Turbo SS
I don't believe I have addressed this in this thread but I believe it to be relevant to this thread's topic. All of our turbo systems are backed by a lifetime warranty on the piping and an almost unheard of one-year no fault/no hassle warranty on the turbos. What does "no fault/no hassle mean"? It means your turbo/turbos will be repaired or replaced within one year of purchase and registration as long as you have not a) removed or tampered with the serial number tag found on the back side of the compressor side of the turbo; b) removed the oil inlet filter; or c) tampered with the compressor shaft nut.

We have had customers leave rags in the impellers as well as launch their vehicles into concrete barriers at drag strips. Through no fault of their own, Turbonetics has repaired and, in certain instances, replaced these turbos under their one year "no fault/no hassle" warranty.

Here is a link to the warranty if anyone is interested in reading through it.

Hellion Power Systems is known throughout the Mustang community as the premier provider of Mustang turbocharging systems and we look forward to working towards and earning that same title in the Camaro community.

Last edited by HELLION TURBO; 07-15-2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: punctuation
HELLION TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote