Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #15
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
No manufacturer will ever offer a manual remote start as standard.

Clifford (now owned by DEI) offered a manual remote start when its G4 alarm systems came out. At the time I worked in Car Audio at an unnamed electronics chain. Installers put the first one we ever sold from another store into a 91 Mustang GT Convertible. It had all these things to supposedly prevent you from starting in gear, but in the end it STILL bypasses the clutch switch. The owner (the very next day) remote started his car out of his garage, across teh street and into his neighbors garage. We ceased carrying said module immediately.

Aside from the fact that if the ebrake is as great as the one in my C5 Vette, I am likely to find my car crashed into my inside garage door if I dont leave it in reverse.

No thanks!
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #16
Riderover40

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2SS LS3 w/RS
Manual Autostart

I put one in my wife's 06 Kia Sportage. 49.99 at Canadian Tire sale price, it had the clutch bypass built in. Piece o' cake and I wired her power doors to work keyless ! For safety sake ensure you follow the autostart makers instructions, and as long as the ebrake is actuated it wont go anywhere. There is a risk that for some unknown reason it could fail. In my driveway I will always park it close to the house at the front of the driveway. Only being a foot away from the siding with lumber structure behind it I wont see much damage if the worst thing happens......Here's a thought. I have been driving my vehicles for 33 years and I have yet to have the ebrake fail by not holding. If anything I have had them stick a couple of times on my old 75 chevy caprice. Bottom line is that the system is a safe as you make it. A new Camaro parking brake properly maintained is not going to fail unless it is defective.

Installed correctly the autostart will not "reset" unless you follow a prescribed order of shutting the vehicle down which includes setting the park brake. Then tomorrow morning when you want to warm it up ...... the autostart "will not engage" unless the emergency brake lever is actuated let alone you think you had followed the shutdown procedure the night before!!!

I am getting another 49.99 jobby for my new SS !
Roto Fab CAI, Magnacharger MP2300, Kooks HO SS 1-7/8" LT's, Kook's Catted Connectors, Corsa SS Dual Rear Exit Cat-Back for A6 with Lasered Livernois Signature 4" Dual Wall Exit Pipes, Barton Short Throw. 546 RWHP 517 RWT

This Car Rocks !! "Bring It On" GT-500
Riderover40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #17
Riderover40

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2SS LS3 w/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post
Not to mention, adding an aftermarket remote start will VOID your warranty.

Bad bad bad....
Not so !.....If installed correctly and wired so as not to interfere with the OEM wiring scheme and performance ..... It may viod specific repairs if say "it was found to be wired into the wrong port on the ECM" or something else dumb that caused other issues other then what it is designed for. Many people do not know how difficult it is for a manufacturer to void warranties as long as the modification did not put additional requirement over and above it performance capability and it is installed to reasonable standards.

Your clutch blows up on a burnout. The service rep says it failed becuase your exhaust, tuning, and air box mods bumped the power up to much (say 60 lb/ft) and the clutch couldnt handle it the extra torque.

I can bet that the LS3 clutch design and material make up is actually capable of say 550 lb/ft torque and if you are knowledgable about that kind of thing you can challenge the service rep on it!

You go to the chev service center cause your alternator is burnt out. The rep says that cause you added extra stereo equipment the warranty is void. Well if your Amp can only pump 120 amps and you added equipment that with all of your vehicle's amperage requiement was drawing more then 120 Amps ......then the warranty would be void.

The other issue is that if you do not have the proof in front of you it can be costly to challenge the maunfacturer in court and they know it. Call them up first and speak to the right technician about the mod you are considering , you may be suprised !!
Roto Fab CAI, Magnacharger MP2300, Kooks HO SS 1-7/8" LT's, Kook's Catted Connectors, Corsa SS Dual Rear Exit Cat-Back for A6 with Lasered Livernois Signature 4" Dual Wall Exit Pipes, Barton Short Throw. 546 RWHP 517 RWT

This Car Rocks !! "Bring It On" GT-500
Riderover40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:53 PM   #18
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by arozar View Post
Of course they can pop out of gear!!

i have even seen autos pop out of gear or even the tranny parking break completly break where you could put it in park and still go rolling down the street.
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #19
The Boat
His seafaringness

Drives: yugo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09'Z28 View Post
First, you got an LS6 in your car? I think you mean LS3.
Second, the manual doesn't have remote start because A) if you accidentally leave the car in gear if will move when started and B) the car doesn't depress the clutch for you so it can't even start i the first place.
Hopefully that made sense
Your always supposed to leave your car in gear in M trannie in case your e brake fails... that way it won't roll away to hell
The Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:02 PM   #20
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post
Not to mention, adding an aftermarket remote start will VOID your warranty.

Bad bad bad....
In California (and some other states) it won't unless they can prove the remote start caused something to break that you are trying to get replaced under warranty...
Old 03-29-2009, 11:08 PM   #21
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Okay it's funny story time from me again...

We were working down on the property putting in a culvert... we had the dozer on the hill in park... The E-Brake was on and it was in gear. The brake pop off, it popped out of gear all at the same time, my father and I were at the bottom of the hill positioning the culvert real quick before we used the dozer to cover it up. We here the pop sound and the slight sound of the dozer picking up speed. The squeak of the steel tracks weekie weekie faster and faster, we look up see this D4 Dozer heading straight for us, so we each jump to one side and it plows literally into the culvert, bending it completely in half... Thanks fully no one was hurt, just the culvert, nothing a 2 ton bottle jack could not fix

Old 03-29-2009, 11:24 PM   #22
ZYAL8R

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Dang, so don't leave your dozer running and it won't run into your manual w/remote start!

84' Chevy S-10
91' Chevy S-10 Ext. Cab
90' GMC Sierra Reg. Cab 350 V8
2003 GMC Sierra HD 4x4 Crew 6.0
2005 GMC Yukon 5.3
2008 GMC Ext. Cab 4x4 5.3
2008 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3
This truck man is about to go for something a little more sporty.
ZYAL8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #23
hollywoodGU

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09'Z28 View Post
First, you got an LS6 in your car? I think you mean LS3.
Second, the manual doesn't have remote start because A) if you accidentally leave the car in gear if will move when started and B) the car doesn't depress the clutch for you so it can't even start i the first place.
Hopefully that made sense
i dont have to press the clutch on my MT transmition car to start it
hollywoodGU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:13 AM   #24
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
I went to may fav car audio store here in jax and asked em about adding remote start to a manual. They said it was possible but there was no way to bypass the start if it is in gear.

He then told me a story of us buddy how put it on his manual BMW... And while in Home Depot he was carrying something heavy under his arm which was resting on his pocket. And yes, he forgot to put the car in neutral. And yep when he came out his car had repeatedly hammered the front of the DTS parked in front of him. I also learned that it will try and restart the car every 3 mins if it doesn't' start the first time....

I'm thinking I don't need remote start on a manual that bad.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #25
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
So how does the manual SRT8 do it with push button start

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:16 AM   #26
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
I'm guessing it acts just like the key. It won't start if you don't have the clutch in.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #27
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
When your car comes from the garage, you do not need remote start, it is never that cold.....especially with heated seats. A Toy I would never use.
I would not give up the manual for that lamo feature.