Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
bigssc
Account Suspended

Drives: Black 2013 Camaro 2SS (auto L99)
something ive noticed about Camaros

is it just me or is everything stock versus stock faster than an SS? let me explain.. as i was looking up specs of new 392 srt8 chargers, challengers, 5.0 mustangs, etc. i found that almost all of them are faster STOCK. im not talking about 1LE's just bare bone SS's. whats up with that? whats even more funny to me is the new charger/challenger is around 4,300 pounds and still has faster (stock) 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. and it only has 70 more hp and tq than an L99 and only 35 more hp and tq than a manual SS. is it just our cars are tuned poorly from the factory? i know once you do basic bolt ons and a dyno the SS is nothing to underestimate but im just talking stock versus stock right now. i can already see some of the troll comments coming lol this is all from my research and opinion so please leave the butt hurt at the door its just something i noticed. and i love my SS by the way, i love everything about it, i was just noticing some numbers i read and saw on other forums.
bigssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Some mags get better times than others don't worry too much about it.
If you want to equalize things do lightweight 18-19" wheels with wider grippier rubber that is 2-3" shorter in height. You will be surprised what that does for standing start and rolling acceleration.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
Class for Class, the Camaro SS is not in the same league as the Challenger SRT8. It would be more realistic to compare the Camaro SS to the Challenger R/T.

As far as the Camaro SS being outclassed by the Mustang GT 5.0, they (Ford) built a hell of a car.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
My SS is fat and fast enough.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
SS ORANGE CRUSH SS

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
My SS is fat and fast enough.
I agree.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
I noticed the same. But I bought my SS because frankly, the car is just beautiful and fun. If I ever decide to race it, my mods and their mods pretty much throw stock out the window and equalize the playing field. Don't know anyone who races stock, so no need to worry about those others.
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Just remember. You are talking literally tenths of a second difference between all 3 cars.

Less time than it takes me to say the word Camaro.

Also just a couple of years ago at launch. The Camaro smoked the Mustang of the time and beat out the Challenger for way less money.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Someone's always faster. Just mod your car to your likes/needs. The Camaro, IMO is better looking than the Charger, Challenger and Mustang.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
FLGator75
Don't Tread on me!

Drives: 2017 Yellow Camaro RS/V-6.
Send a message via ICQ to FLGator75 Send a message via AIM to FLGator75 Send a message via Yahoo to FLGator75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCompiler View Post
I noticed the same. But I bought my SS because frankly, the car is just beautiful and fun. If I ever decide to race it, my mods and their mods pretty much throw stock out the window and equalize the playing field. Don't know anyone who races stock, so no need to worry about those others.
Too each their own poison so to speak. I purchased my 2013 2LT/RS for the exact same reason.

It's fast enough for me for the time being & it's just as beautiful as the SS.
FLGator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #10
bigssc
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverds View Post
Class for Class, the Camaro SS is not in the same league as the Challenger SRT8. It would be more realistic to compare the Camaro SS to the Challenger R/T.

As far as the Camaro SS being outclassed by the Mustang GT 5.0, they (Ford) built a hell of a car.
it is in the same league though price wise. the camaro ss and charger super bee are the same price about 40k. my friend has one and he paid 41k out the door. the interior is ugly as all hell because the super bee is the stripped down edition of the srt8 which is funny because it used to be the most expensive one on the older charger. but as far as ford goes the mustang being 300 pounds lighter makes a big difference. but i think the camaro is better looking than all the current pony cars.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #11
bigssc
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Just remember. You are talking literally tenths of a second difference between all 3 cars.

Less time than it takes me to say the word Camaro.

Also just a couple of years ago at launch. The Camaro smoked the Mustang of the time and beat out the Challenger for way less money.
very true. so it comes down to the driver and driving situation, i agree with you.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #12
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigssc View Post
it is in the same league though price wise. the camaro ss and charger super bee are the same price about 40k. my friend has one and he paid 41k out the door. the interior is ugly as all hell because the super bee is the stripped down edition of the srt8 which is funny because it used to be the most expensive one on the older charger. but as far as ford goes the mustang being 300 pounds lighter makes a big difference. but i think the camaro is better looking than all the current pony cars.
A 1ss doesn't come even close to the price of 41k and is exactly the same performance wise to a 2ss.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #13
bigssc
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
A 1ss doesn't come even close to the price of 41k and is exactly the same performance wise to a 2ss.
yes thats true but those cloth seats .. lol haha but once again ur right
Old 08-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #14
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
Your unfairly comparing different levels of cars.

The Camaro ZL1 should be compared to the Challenger SRT8 and Shelby GT500.

The Camaro SS should be compared to the Challenger R/T and Mustang GT.

The Camaro, comparing the appropriate version, beats the Challenger on all levels. In a straight line, the Mustang wins all day; however, put the Camaro and Mustang on the track and the Mustang won't be able to keep up.

I don't know what you're reading, but the Camaro is not the slowest car. The Challenger sucks when it comes to performance, and everything else in my opinion. The only thing the Mustang has is raw straight line power, it can't corner like a Camaro.

This is just one example of many.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...k/viewall.html

Oh, the 1LE has also beat the M3 and M5 around the track, and that is no easy feat.