Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
TGG1SS

Drives: 2012 AGM Camaro 1SS M6 LS3
Throttle Body clean DIY?

Has anyone done this maintenance themselves, the dealer has been recommending this each time i bring my Camaro in for maintenance.
TGG1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Easy to do, just remove the 4 bolts and unplug TB, remove it and use 1 can of carb cleaner. DO NOT spray in the electronics part though.

Best is to install a proper oil separating catchcan and breather kit and you should never need this serivce again as you eliminate the oil ingestion causing this and more serious issues....but then again, your dealer wont make all theat monet with the extra services to charge for.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
I did this the other day real easy...and I do have a catch can there was some muck on it.My car was running sluggish andstarted to miss.But not check light????...Finnaly after of 2 weeks of my car running like crap at the Autocross event the light came on !!!! My buddy had a STS tuner and check the code...# 4 missfire??????......Well long story short after 8k miles my new HP Spark plug wires were shit ..burnt falling apart ..$49 autozone deal back to good as new!!!! car runs great now.....now that I think about it my was running ruff and missing once in awhile for about over a month........But cleaning the TB is easy ...that was the first thing I did..
Old 01-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
SC2150
Account Suspended

DDunerider...are you running the RX breather kit as well? If not theen oil does ingest before the TB and that is an issue. Also, only a few catchcans really are effective in stopping the oil....many let nearly as much through as they catch.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Louis @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 2010 SS/RS 2009 CG Z06
One should figure out WHY there is oil in the TB in the first place. There should be NONE.
Louis @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
SC2150
Account Suspended

Pretty simple....at WOT there is a good deal of reversion through the stock fresh air tube ingested upstream of the TB so that will usually show up on the blade & throat of the TB. The majority is ingested through the OEM PCV into the intake manifold but you want NO oil ever ingested into the intake air charge NA or FI.

We delete the OEM line and use a flow controlled checkvalved breather that only allows the amount of fresh air the ECU can deal with properly not metered by the MAF. We use a differnt flow for V6 & V8. Using a plain breather with no flow control and your fuel trims will be all over the place as the ECU trys to compensate for the mixed data the MAF, MAP, and upstream O2's are feeding it. The proper functioning oil separating can inline in the PCV routing will eliminate oil into the intake manifold but the problem is there are so many marginally functional cans on the market that allow almost as much oil through as they catch and that still creates the problems related to oil ingestion into the intake air charge.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
Ucantctchme

Drives: 2010 ss. 1990 RS the faster one.
Removing the TB is not an absolute necessity. It's a 4in. Opening, you will be able to get 99% of the carbon cleaned out. You can remove it if you want, just keep in mind that the TAC system is VERY sensitive and any damage to the connector terminals will result in The vehicle defaulting to limp mode. I usually put some throttle body cleaner on a rag, hold the TB wide open and wipe it clean. Either way you choose to do it is better than not doing it. These engines control idle differently than in the past and coking in the TB will have noticeable affects on driveability.
Ucantctchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
SC2150
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantctchme View Post
Removing the TB is not an absolute necessity. It's a 4in. Opening, you will be able to get 99% of the carbon cleaned out. You can remove it if you want, just keep in mind that the TAC system is VERY sensitive and any damage to the connector terminals will result in The vehicle defaulting to limp mode. I usually put some throttle body cleaner on a rag, hold the TB wide open and wipe it clean. Either way you choose to do it is better than not doing it. These engines control idle differently than in the past and coking in the TB will have noticeable affects on driveability.
Good point.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
Chad's ZL1
THERAPY

Drives: Red Rock Metallic ZL1
Who sells a good catch can, and is it easy to install?
Chad's ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
DDunerider...are you running the RX breather kit as well? If not theen oil does ingest before the TB and that is an issue. Also, only a few catchcans really are effective in stopping the oil....many let nearly as much through as they catch.
I have a Rx Catch can but no breather..there was a little gunk on the TB to clean,,
Old 01-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
Chad's ZL1
THERAPY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Easy to do, just remove the 4 bolts and unplug TB, remove it and use 1 can of carb cleaner. DO NOT spray in the electronics part though.

Best is to install a proper oil separating catchcan and breather kit and you should never need this serivce again as you eliminate the oil ingestion causing this and more serious issues....but then again, your dealer wont make all theat monet with the extra services to charge for.
u use a whole can? do you just spray it on a rag and wipe it in there to clean out. I have 33,000 miles on my 2010 SS and didn't have a catch can. I just ordered one, but want to clean the TB before I install catch can. Any video or pictures on how to do it?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
SC2150
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddunerider View Post
I have a Rx Catch can but no breather..there was a little gunk on the TB to clean,,
The breather kit eliminates the path through the fresh air tube so thats why. The OEM connection allows oil to enter upstream of the TB so it coats the TB blade, etc.

On the cleaner, no need to use a whole can.....just enough to wipe it clean.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
Chad's ZL1
THERAPY

Old 01-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci