Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #589
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
That Kia stinger commercial cracks me up “fueled by youth” but advertised by an old dinosaur LOL Emerson Fittipaldi what young person ever heard of that relic. the word Kia and performance shouldn’t even be in the same sentence.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #590
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Interiors??

My opinion, but as long as the interior looks attractive to me, and holds up over time that is all I really care about. Maybe a certain interior doesn't have the "expensive" materials to match certain cars, but I can tell you there are lots of premium cars with "expensive" materials and I think the interior is just un-attractive. I think overall, GM has been doing well lately in designing attractive interiors.

I don't understand how anyone can say Camaro interior is a bad or low rent interior, especially when you consider the entire package. I'm in a 1SS which is OK (I like it, and its better than my 5th gen was, even with some extra options added) but the 2SS/2LT is a nice place to be. Lots of leather, attractive design, and stitching in just the right places to add that extra touch of attractive "bling". It also has a vast array of features to play with in that interior.

I also like the Kia Stinger interior a lot also. But its not b/c of the materials they used. Its b/c of the look. So maybe they used real metal or whatever. I don't care, and I don't think most normal (aka not rich) people do either.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:04 PM   #591
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
Kia Stinger?

Funny that came up. I think it's a total hit. 0-60 4.5sec GT. 50k with sooo much more equipment than a loaded 2SS.

AWD for you Northerners - I prefer RWD - Stinger offers both. Styled by previous Lamborghini designer. Suspension and steering tuned by the former head of BMW M division.

10 year powertrain warranty, 5 years B to B. KIA ranked first in initial quality. $6500 in KIA factory lease incentive for GT

Watched a bunch of Youtube reviews - it's for real in every way. Note that it is a GT not a sports car.

The hatchback design will help sedan sales when they really need it.

3, I'm guessing your clubs will fit in here

LOL, I checked and they do.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:11 PM   #592
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
If you think the grade and quality of materials that goes into a Kia Stinger is any higher than a Camaro, then I think you are delusional. It's all the same composites, all made in the same factories. In fact, the same holds true for luxury vehicles in the price range you mention. These "luxury" materials you mention are just the same composites, except fluffed up with air and foam to make them feel softer and denser. There is nothing inherently "nicer" about them. They are no more natural. They aren't wood. They aren't real rubber. They aren't metal. Most of the time, cars in the 50-70k price range have an interior that is extremely over-rated. People like to think because they spend 70k on a car that they have a luxurious interior. It's a mirage. I've sat in Audi, Mercedes, Volvo's where everything is "soft touch" and superficially seems nice but after a while, you take a look around and wonder, how much nicer is it really. Not by much. Soft touch materials are hard to clean. They hold on to dirt and stains far more readily. They are much more susceptible to abrasion and scratches. And really, these materials are just as fake and plasticky as anything else. You just get tricked into thinking it's "nice" because it's pumped full of compounds to soften and fluff everything up. I'd love to see a breakout of the precise costs of each interior dash and trim piece and compare it to a luxury car in the 50-70k range. My prediction is that the luxury car maker is spending just a tad more on materials, but charging significantly more for them. And if you go find an old audi or mercedes in a wrecking lot the interior looks just as degraded as any other car, sometimes more so. They don't last longer, in fact quite the opposite. It's all designed to look and feel all nice and snuggly on the lot so you'll pay 20k more.

The 6th gen Camaro has a nice interior, it does what it needs to do with a minimum of extraneous junk. It's clean, simple, and functional. It wipes down easily. It's durable and utilitarian. It reflects who is buying a Camaro--mostly working people who want to have a bit of fun and want a lot of performance for their dollar. That's the market and that is what the interior is going to be designed around.

Is the ZL1 over-priced for what it is? Absolutely!
Is the 1SS? Or the 1LS? Not really.
LOL, used to manage the "subjective evaluation" process for GM and if that makes me delusional then fine.

At $70,000 it is not a competitive interior. If all you care about is the wonderful LT4 under the hood then fine. A $70,000 interior isn't important to you. But for some, it is.

Anyone that is suggesting (I mean letting GM off the hook) on an interior that is that same in a $27,000 base coupe being the same as in the $70,000 ZL1 is being verrrry generous to GM.

You have an interesting view on interior materials. A bit incorrect, but interesting. Quality of materials is not an off the lot experience. It lasts for years and years.

As I said, even Bob Lutz was pretty clear that genuine wood was not required as half the people couldn't tell the difference. I still laugh at that presentation.

Keep in mind the C7 was all about "genuine materials" because it matters. It matters when you want to compete with the best in the world.

Rationalizing why it's ok for the Camaro to have an "ok" interior is just letting GM off the hook.

Porsche, BMW, Audi, MB all have outstanding cars and performance cars as well. And they somehow manage to do it with great material choices.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #593
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
LOL, used to manage the "subjective evaluation" process for GM and if that makes me delusional then fine.

At $70,000 it is not a competitive interior. If all you care about is the wonderful LT4 under the hood then fine. A $70,000 interior isn't important to you. But for some, it is.

Anyone that is suggesting (I mean letting GM off the hook) on an interior that is that same in a $27,000 base coupe being the same as in the $70,000 ZL1 is being verrrry generous to GM.

You have an interesting view on interior materials. A bit incorrect, but interesting. Quality of materials is not an off the lot experience. It lasts for years and years.

As I said, even Bob Lutz was pretty clear that genuine wood was not required as half the people couldn't tell the difference. I still laugh at that presentation.

Keep in mind the C7 was all about "genuine materials" because it matters. It matters when you want to compete with the best in the world.

Rationalizing why it's ok for the Camaro to have an "ok" interior is just letting GM off the hook.

Porsche, BMW, Audi, MB all have outstanding cars and performance cars as well. And they somehow manage to do it with great material choices.
There is no point in comparing a ZL1 1LE to a luxury track car with similar performance like an AMG GTR or 911 GT3. Sure you get a nicer interior but those cars are over $150k. There is no free lunch.

I feel like you're projecting because you bought a Cadillac ATS which has a worse interior than the cheaper Camaro, and have begun to regret it.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:56 PM   #594
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:

I would gladly pay more for a higher level interior (3SS ?). Chevy is giving $300k performance for $70k. It’s not a luxury car...but still quite good.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:02 PM   #595
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
My wife has a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD EX... Basically middle grade with leather, heated seats and etc. Almost every interior part of that car is equivalent or better than my Camaro in terms of quality, and it was 10K less. Granted, I didn't buy the Camaro for it's interior, I could have bought a Golf for that. I bought it for performance. And in GM's defense, the parts that get touched, like steering wheel, shit knob, elbow pad... are all excellent quality. Yeah, I swapped the 1SS knee pads for the leather wrapped, but that's likely the only thing I'll touch (are the hard plastic window sill things replaceable?).
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:14 PM   #596
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
If you are looking at just performance you are going to be correct. The camaro will come out on top in that comparison. Believe it or not there are people that cross shop a ton of different vehicles in the same price range. And for some people, it doesn't always come down to performance.

Example, and I have said it before on here. A buddy of mine when he got his first good paying job wanted to buy a new car. He had always loved performance cars, loved spirited driving. He was looking at SRT 8 Challenger's. Ended up buying an Infinity G37 because he wanted the "luxury" car look/feel/prestige etc etc. The G37 was good enough for his spirited driving and at the time he bought it(this is going back probably 6 or 7 years), it's interior blew away the Dodge in his opinion
I agree totally. I too owned a G37 for that same reason. I wanted a sporty luxury car. My point is that the camaro was never intended to be a luxury car. It was built for style and performance. There are plenty of cars out there to choose from, but folks should know what they want out of a car and the price they are willing to pay.

Is the interior perfect? No. But I do think it is darn good for a non luxury sports car that performs as good or better than cars twice it's price or more.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #597
Cgocifer

Quote:

All those cars you mentioned are way more expensive comparatively. Lol that's the point. A BMW, MB, Audi that performs like a $45k 1LE would cost 70k +. A BMW, MB, Auidi that performs like a $70k ZL1 would cost $140k.

What is cool about a Camaro is that it is known as a working class, blue collar American Icon that now can hang with or destroy world class, high dollar cars. If that means some plastic trim bits and parts bin switches and knobs have to be used to keep the price down, so be it. There is nothing more satisfying than embarrassing some suit with his driving gloves in his 6 figure car on the track or otherwise.

The Camaro is not intended to be a direct competitor to those other fancy cars. In fact, even if it was and all the materials and etc. we're upgraded to match, nobody would buy it. I doubt anyone would pay BMW, Audi, or Mercedes (equivalent performing version) prices for a Camaro.

The Camaro brand will never have the name prestige that many buyers of those other cars want.

It is what it is. A blue collar, American muscle/sports car that almost anybody can buy or at least actually have a fighting chance to buy. It just happens to perform like a super car now (1LE at least).

Hey, I have No illusions. I know that I'll probably never own a super car or even a 911 for that matter. But at least I kinda know how one of those feels to drive thanks to my Camaro 1LE.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:44 PM   #598
Cgocifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
My wife has a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD EX... Basically middle grade with leather, heated seats and etc. Almost every interior part of that car is equivalent or better than my Camaro in terms of quality, and it was 10K less. Granted, I didn't buy the Camaro for it's interior, I could have bought a Golf for that. I bought it for performance. And in GM's defense, the parts that get touched, like steering wheel, shit knob, elbow pad... are all excellent quality. Yeah, I swapped the 1SS knee pads for the leather wrapped, but that's likely the only thing I'll touch (are the hard plastic window sill things replaceable?).
And the Sorrento does zero to 60 in what? How about the track times? Lol I think you get it though based on the rest of your post. ;-)
Old 02-15-2018, 01:28 AM   #599
Tenfive

Drives: 2017 1SS camaro ,2SS a 68 + 08 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
And the Sorrento does zero to 60 in what? How about the track times? Lol I think you get it though based on the rest of your post. ;-)
Exactly !!

A KIA is the ****ing walmart of cars .

And Ford is the Kmart !

Both are made cheaper than dirt .
Tenfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:43 AM   #600
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Quote:
I don't think anyone wants to let GM off the hook. We all expect that they are going to take customer input and make improvements. From what I've seen, the majority of Camaro owners actually like the new 6th gen interior. There is a vocal minority, of whom you are a part, who are very focused on luxury interiors. And that's great. If your words are heard by Chevrolet and it motivates them to improve the quality of interiors in the next generation, great, we all win. But I think the general consensus here is that, we are fine with the non-luxury interior so the car can stay affordable.

It's no different with the trucks. When they revealed the 2019 silverado a few weeks ago, the internet was on fire with hate directed towards the "horrible chevrolet interiors". People are constantly hating on Chevrolet interiors, but its usually not Chevrolet customers doing that. The reason they didn't change the Silverado interior that much is because they interviewed Silverado owners and they said, "We like the current interior." I own a 16 Silverado, and, like my Camaro, the interior is utilitarian and functional. And if you gouge a dash panel, the replacement panel is going to be dirt cheap.

I'm honestly surprised you don't like the upper trim level camaro interiors. Have you actually sat in one and driven it for a while? I mean, the 2LT/2SS are pretty plush inside, it's really not a huge difference from your ATS. Even my 1SS, to me, feels stellar. I went and inspected the materials today in my car, and actually, even the hard plastics are pretty good. They feel dense and substantial. The leather-wrapped steering wheel is fantastic, the shift knob is leather wrapped with metal trim. The cloth seats are even super nice, much nicer than most other new cars these days. There are some design choices people take issue with (no storage?) But really, on materials and overall layout, it just works. I like it. And remember, you get the beautiful steering wheel and shifter on the 1LS, a car that you could buy for around 25k.

I don't expect that anyone could talk you into liking it (especially if you're comparing to euro luxury brands). But I think if you drove it for a week you'd understand.

Last edited by protovack; 02-15-2018 at 02:03 AM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:55 AM   #601
SliChillax

Drives: Camaro ZL1 A10, F-Type R, RR Sport
I've got a BMW M235i which brand new costs the same as a 2SS Camaro, has less options, worse performance, worse chassis, worse interior quality and you guys are complaining about the Camaro, wow. Some of you are ignorant and spoiled.
SliChillax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:09 AM   #602
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
I don't think anyone wants to let GM off the hook. We all expect that they are going to take customer input and make improvements. From what I've seen, the majority of Camaro owners actually like the new 6th gen interior. There is a vocal minority, of whom you are a part, who are very focused on luxury interiors. And that's great. If your words are heard by Chevrolet and it motivates them to improve the quality of interiors in the next generation, great, we all win. But I think the general consensus here is that, we are fine with the non-luxury interior so the car can stay affordable.

It's no different with the trucks. When they revealed the 2019 silverado a few weeks ago, the internet was on fire with hate directed towards the "horrible chevrolet interiors". People are constantly hating on Chevrolet interiors, but its usually not Chevrolet customers doing that. The reason they didn't change the Silverado interior that much is because they interviewed Silverado owners and they said, "We like the current interior." I own a 16 Silverado, and, like my Camaro, the interior is utilitarian and functional. And if you gouge a dash panel, the replacement panel is going to be dirt cheap.

I'm honestly surprised you don't like the upper trim level camaro interiors. Have you actually sat in one and driven it for a while? I mean, the 2LT/2SS are pretty plush inside, it's really not a huge difference from your ATS. Even my 1SS, to me, feels stellar. I went and inspected the materials today in my car, and actually, even the hard plastics are pretty good. They feel dense and substantial. The leather-wrapped steering wheel is fantastic, the shift knob is leather wrapped with metal trim. The cloth seats are even super nice, much nicer than most other new cars these days. There are some design choices people take issue with (no storage?) But really, on materials and overall layout, it just works. I like it. And remember, you get the beautiful steering wheel and shifter on the 1LS, a car that you could buy for around 25k.

I don't expect that anyone could talk you into liking it (especially if you're comparing to euro luxury brands). But I think if you drove it for a week you'd understand.
Well stated. I love my 2SS and feel its very posh for a Camaro.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote