Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Gelugon

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Vert
Trunk harness

So i opened my truck the other day and noticed that on the right side the harness has rubbed thru the truck seal. Now I don't really use the trunk its used to store my boot, but i have never even seen any rub marks at all.

I think the harness is possibly vibrating and that is how this happened. As my luck goes i'm now out of warranty, I will replace the seal, but has anyone had this issue, should I post in the general area as well?

This post would be worthless without a picture so here is the one I took as soon as I noticed it. Apparently i'm having difficulty getting the pic to show up?

Last edited by Gelugon; 01-28-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Gelugon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
Jfoster

Drives: 2016 GT vert.
I think it's very common. Ours has started to rub and I think someone had posted an easy fix, but it shouldn't be expensive to replace that seal.
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
crd2daniel

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS/RS LS3
Thumbs up

I had the same problem, I took it to the dealer before my warranty expired, and worked with the service tech, and this is what we came up with. We put friction tape and a small bungee cord to pull the harness away from the seal. The before and after photos.
Attached Images

crd2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:39 PM   #4
Gelugon

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Vert
hmm interesting fix. thanks for the pics i'll look more in to this.

Gelugon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #5
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
I have already had my trunk seal replaced twice under warranty for this. This last time, they adjusted the cable to try to keep it off the seal.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:16 AM   #6
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Just noticed ours has a rub spot too, very similar to the picture above.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:11 AM   #7
javi05

Drives: 14 ss 1le camaro
dealer fixed mine under warranty.. loosened the cable.. thats about it..

2014 camaro 2ss 1LE. blk on blk..stock
javi05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
Convert-11

Drives: 2011 Convertible Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
This is why I love CAMARO 5. I just checked mine and there was a slight abrasion. I'm able to make modifications before any real damage is done. Knowledge is power!
Convert-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
I just went to the dealer this morning to get a State inspection, emissions, finally get the top checked under the recall and a hand wash. Put something in the trunk before I left and noticed the seal was starting to show the rub - right in the middle, affecting upper and lower portions.

I've only driven the car 48 miles since November and the seal wasn't like this in October when I washed the car and checked the trunk. They'll replace it under warranty - it'll take ~ a week to get the seal. At least it wasn't the top...

Thanks to all who've posted about the "seal rub" issue. Great FYI.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:36 AM   #10
Baba

I was at the dealer yesterday to have the trunk seal replaced. New trunk seal installed and looks good. They applied a "bundle" of friction tape wee the cables meet the bare metal of the trunk lid (below the liner) with the intention of keeping the cables away from the seal.

After they returned the car to me in the service lanes, I put something in the trunk, ran over to a friend's house and got home 4 hours later. I opened the trunk and see there's a small tear in the seal at the exact same spot where the cable is.

Called the service advisor to let him know so he can order a new seal. He tells me I have me bring the car in and his service manager has to approve it. More time and waiting.

A new seal that sustains damage within 4 hours of installation with the trunk only having been opened twice since it was replaced, needs to be replaced (as it's damaged) with a better fix for the cause. Interestingly enough, neither my service advisor nor the mechanics were had any knowledge of this issue with any Camaro, nor aware of any top problems - and they're a HUGE GM dealer.

I'm hopeful they'll replace it. Perhaps I'll suggest the "bungee cord" fix "crd2daniel" had applied to his. I'm going to take a close look at this and see what can be done.
3 Pedals

Last edited by Baba; 03-29-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:32 AM   #11
PDILLON

Drives: GMC Slycone - 2011 SS Camaro conv.
Trunk seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
I was at the dealer yesterday to have the trunk seal replaced. New trunk seal installed and looks good. They applied a "bundle" of friction tape wee the cables meet the bare metal of the trunk lid (below the liner) with the intention of keeping the cables away from the seal.

After they returned the car to me in the service lanes, I put something in the trunk, ran over to a friend's house and got home 4 hours later. I opened the trunk and see there's a small tear in the seal at the exact same spot where the cable is.

Called the service advisor to let him know so he can order a new seal. He tells me I have me bring the car in and his service manager has to approve it. More time and waiting.

A new seal that sustains damage within 4 hours of installation with the trunk only having been opened twice since it was replaced, needs to be replaced (as it's damaged) with a better fix for the cause. Interestingly enough, neither my service advisor nor the mechanics were had any knowledge of this issue with any Camaro, nor aware of any top problems - and they're a HUGE GM dealer.

I'm hopeful they'll replace it. Perhaps I'll suggest the "bungee cord" fix "crd2daniel" had applied to his. I'm going to take a close look at this and see what can be done.
I cut a slot about 3 in. in material than a round hole for wire bundle in the trunk lid to give bundle more room and it works fine
PDILLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
Baba

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDILLON View Post
I cut a slot about 3 in. in material than a round hole for wire bundle in the trunk lid to give bundle more room and it works fine
Good info. It's amazing how many folks have implemented DIY work-arounds for some of the problems. Do you have a pic you can upload?
3 Pedals

Old 03-30-2014, 07:21 PM   #13
PDILLON

Drives: GMC Slycone - 2011 SS Camaro conv.
trunk fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
Good info. It's amazing how many folks have implemented DIY work-arounds for some of the problems. Do you have a pic you can upload?
Sorry not smart enough for pictures but a 3in. cut in trunk material is easy - looks ok and works great
PDILLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #14
magiaone

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Conv. Summit White
I checked my 14 - looks like they fixed the routing, mine is much further away from the seal
magiaone is offline   Reply With Quote