Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 03-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
NFL players raising hell about Pay Cut

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ut/?ref=sports

Quote:
In the waning hours of the N.F.L. salary cap Thursday, the players’ union released a letter sent by Pete Kendall, the union’s permanent player representative at labor negotiations, to all players that said the owners’ latest proposal is “a dramatic reduction in player compensation, which is not justified given the NFL’s unprecedented growth and their failure to provide meaningful financial data relating to their expenses.”

No new negotiating sessions were scheduled and the N.F.L. heads into an uncapped season Friday – and toward a lockout next March – with little common ground found in early talks. That is not unusual early in any labor fight. But for the last several weeks, the source of contention has been the impact in real dollars of the league’s proposal to give an additional 18 percent in revenue to owners in the form of credits off the top of the revenue pool.

That, they say, would account for soaring stadium costs and to spur continued investment in things like the NFL Network that, owners contend, ultimately generate more revenue. The union said the players would have to take an 18 percent pay cut. The league said the reduction from the percentage of revenue players currently receive to what they would receive under the proposal would be closer to 9 percent and that, with a rookie wage scale redistributing money to veterans and the expected continued rise in revenue generated, no player would lose money.

In his letter, Kendall, a former Jets offensive lineman who recently retired, provided specifics of management’s most recent proposal. The proposal calls for an additional 18 percent in credits for management off the NFL’s total revenue (owners already receive $1 billion off the top of the revenue pool), to account for expenses like stadium construction. The proposal would allow players to continue to receive nearly 60 percent of remaining revenue, as the previous collective bargaining agreement provided.

Players contend, though, that because the revenue pool would be diminished by the credits given to owners, there would be a 10.44 percent reduction in the salary cap, according to Kendall’s letter. As an example, Kendall writes that a cap of $116 million per club as calculated under the existing deal, would be reduced to $95.12 million under the league’s proposal.

“If the impact of the proposal were to be spread evenly over all player salaries and benefits across the league, each player would have to take a cut of 18 percent in salary and benefits,” Kendall wrote.

Without providing specifics, Kendall’s letter said the union’s current proposal would allow teams to have increased deductions for costs incurred to generate new revenue and that the union has proposed additional credits for stadium construction and revenue.

“But we should not and will not agree to pay for items such as expenses to operate practice facilities or for travel costs as the owners have included in this 18% proposal,” Kendall wrote.

The N.F.L. responded several hours later with a statement saying owners were looking for a system that allows for continued investment to grow revenues.

“NFL player compensation has almost doubled in the last decade because of investments made by the clubs,” the statement said. “If we continue to invest and grow, current players will have higher compensation, former players will have higher benefits, and fans will enjoy a better game. Expenses for NFL franchises have risen faster than revenue in the current agreement and the economics must be adjusted. But, as we have repeatedly emphasized, constructive and creative negotiations can lead to a balanced agreement that will not reduce current player salaries.”
What do you guys think about this? I think NFL players should stop their bitching.

You show me one NFL player who can't support his family because he isn't paid enough. One. A single player.

These guys make insane amounts of money for playing a game... and on top of that, they choose to do it. They choose this Career path just like anyone else chooses theirs.... because they are good at it and have an interest in playing the game. Judging from the increase in Salary Cap (from when it was first implemented in 1994 till 2009) the players salary has tripled the rate of inflation... These guys have nothing to complain about.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
AMEN!!! Give me a freakin break! The problem is their careers don't last long and they do nothing to save & invest the HUGE amount of $$$ they make. So, of course they complain that they need MORE $$$ That's the main reason I don't support any sports...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I'm on the players side on this one.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
What do you guys think about this? I think NFL players should stop their bitching.

You show me one NFL player who can't support his family because he isn't paid enough. One. A single player.

These guys make insane amounts of money for playing a game... and on top of that, they choose to do it. They choose this Career path just like anyone else chooses theirs.... because they are good at it and have an interest in playing the game. Judging from the increase in Salary Cap (from when it was first implemented in 1994 till 2009) the players salary has tripled the rate of inflation... These guys have nothing to complain about.
I could not have said it better.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
So I can sign you to a 5 years contract and you can't go anywhere else and play if I say you can't. But I can FIRE your ass or cut you for minimal compensation.

Don't sound right.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
Crying about only making Millions....WTF How about all the millions of people out of work in the US let alone people like me that have taken a 20% pay cut to have a job.....
Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
While some star QB's have those mega contracts, the guys on the line don't make nearly as much. And as much as the best paid QB's make, the owner makes an awful lot more. So I don't agree in this case. Ordinarily I'd tell pro athletes to quit griping, they're getting paid to play a game which they used to be willing to play for free. Cutting their pay just so the owners can boost their revenue? Nope.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
While some star QB's have those mega contracts, the guys on the line don't make nearly as much. And as much as the best paid QB's make, the owner makes an awful lot more. So I don't agree in this case. Ordinarily I'd tell pro athletes to quit griping, they're getting paid to play a game which they used to be willing to play for free. Cutting their pay just so the owners can boost their revenue? Nope.
I think there are certainly scenarios where player salary has past unrealistic and has moved to the realm of insane... Specifically surrounding the Rookie signings. Teams who don't want to blow 50 million on an unproven prospect (see Raiders and Jamarcus Russel) now have to trade away their high first round picks, all because the salaries of incoming rookies have gotten so out of hand.

PS. The second highest paid position in the league is a Left Tackle...Offensive Lineman.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

This pay cut isn't about reducing owners cost, its about increasing their revenue. Huge difference between the two.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 03-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Quote:
This pay cut isn't about reducing owners cost, its about increasing their revenue. Huge difference between the two.
One in the same actually
Old 03-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
One in the same actually
No they aren't. It make work out that way when looking at profit but they aren't the same at all. If the owners were stugling and running their franchise at a loss, thats a very valid argument to reduce cost. But if one of the goals is to fund new mega stadiums ... I have a very hard time supporting it.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 03-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #12
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Quote:
No they aren't. It make work out that way when looking at profit but they aren't the same at all. If the owners were stugling and running their franchise at a loss, thats a very valid argument to reduce cost. But if one of the goals is to fund new mega stadiums ... I have a very hard time supporting it.
So your more about the intentions of the owners. I can get behind that.

What I was saying is that regardless of whether their bottom line is black or red, less $$ given to player salary is more $$ to run the rest of their business.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
Mailman

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
I am a huge football fan as is my hubby! However, I can't see spending the insane $$$ to go and watch a game. It costs a couple of hundred dollars for a family to watch a game in person at the stadium not to mention water is $6 a bottle.

I have a really difficult time feeling badly for people who make lots of money (admittedly $100,000 is a low salary for a NFL player) for basically playing a game. I also think that the contracts of unproven 'superstars' right out of college is just way out of whack. Why doesn't the league institute a set price for rookies all across the board--this would make everyone's life so much easier. It gives the players time to mature and gives the teams the opportunity that they need for each player who makes the transition to the NFL. I have two words to support my statement: Ryan Leaf. 'nuff said.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #14
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
I am a huge football fan as is my hubby! However, I can't see spending the insane $$$ to go and watch a game. It costs a couple of hundred dollars for a family to watch a game in person at the stadium not to mention water is $6 a bottle.

I have a really difficult time feeling badly for people who make lots of money (admittedly $100,000 is a low salary for a NFL player) for basically playing a game. I also think that the contracts of unproven 'superstars' right out of college is just way out of whack. Why doesn't the league institute a set price for rookies all across the board--this would make everyone's life so much easier. It gives the players time to mature and gives the teams the opportunity that they need for each player who makes the transition to the NFL. I have two words to support my statement: Ryan Leaf. 'nuff said.
I have to agree with most of this.
We don't spend an insane amount to go to a pro football game. The minium wage in the NFL is 300K, but it's all gone tomorrow if you wreck your knee on Sunday. As an admittedly "part" owner in the Packers, we will have a tough time surviving this. Our fan base keeps us alive, there is no billionaire owner to bail us out. And yes, the biggest problem is the astronomical salaries for "superstar" rookies. They need to start at base for the first year, bonuses for performance are OK if limited and then prove yourself.