Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

View Poll Results: How much would you pay?
Nothing - I'm out of here... 45 93.75%
$5 1 2.08%
$10 0 0%
I will pay whatever to play COD... 2 4.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #43
Keedy
Should have waited...

Drives: 2004 Mazda RX8
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpanda305x View Post
Bs. if they do it. i am not paying 1 penny. because the fact that servers are shitty. always lagging out and shit. annoying people and downs and shit.

fuh that!
What servers?

Seriously, CoD has the general gaming public so snowed into thinking its the greatest shooter since Doom that if they put a monthly or yearly subscription fee into their next title, it would work for that one title. If it didn't, they'd have to cut it from the follow up and nothing would be lost (the follow up title would be announced as not having it, and people would flock again) but if it did there'd be no turning back.

Wanna know how i know? Servers.

Go back and find the debate on dedicated servers vs peer based networking. Thousands of people saying they won't buy the game no matter what without dedicated server support, and then millions of people buying the game first day.
Keedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #44
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Yeah... looking forward to seeing what the 'new' InfinityWard will be putting out. Heard a good chunk of the original staff followed the pres and vice pres to the new company.
And yes, there is a looong long list of companies that have been bought out by the giants. RIP Westwood Studios.
I too, want to see what direction they go next! Last I heard they, the group that left, are currently helping out with the new Medal of Honor game. I also want to see what Bungie does next, since Microsoft kept the rights to the Halo franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
This is where Online Gaming began. 15 years ago you couldn't conveniently play most games online without subscribing to some sort of service that would host them. Then QuakeWorld showed up and online gaming got turned on its ear, soon Dreamcast came out with a Network Adaptor, and the PS2 and Online Gaming was free to try and yank players away from their PC's. Now that Consoles have a far better position when it comes to blockbuster games, Online play doesn't need to be a gimmick used to sell machines. I'm not surprised pay-to-play is back, just like unlimited internet service is being cut back to data limits, same as the beginning of home internet service.
I forgot about the early history to online gaming. I guess will see if history will repeat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
Its all the fault of UO [utopia online] one of them very early into the gaming world to charge ya $60 for a game and $15 a month to play it.

and the problem is folks paid up without question to be first in the online world.

WOW re-energized that movement even more

ONly games I paid to play, were free online games that were good, that had both free and paid play. After a while you want to know what paid is like when you have fun with a free account.

shattered galaxy is like that sg.com

Massive online player battle game that is free to play and a blast, you soon want to know what paying is like and it rocked, but got to busy to pay n only play 1-2 times a month, but your account last forever.
I missed the golden age of MMO's; I was living on a ship. The only games we had were solitare, freecell, and mind sweeper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
I don't see this happening. They would be a lot smarter to simply put advertisements in the lobby between games. Millions of viewers and consistent viewing throughout the day, plus it won't take away from the popularity of the game. If they do charge a subscription fee, I will be pretty mad.
I could see this option explored also. When online gaming is as popular as it is, people are going try and make every buck they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpanda305x View Post
Bs. if they do it. i am not paying 1 penny. because the fact that servers are shitty. always lagging out and shit. annoying people and downs and shit.

fuh that!
I like your avatar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keedy View Post
What servers?

Seriously, CoD has the general gaming public so snowed into thinking its the greatest shooter since Doom that if they put a monthly or yearly subscription fee into their next title, it would work for that one title. If it didn't, they'd have to cut it from the follow up and nothing would be lost (the follow up title would be announced as not having it, and people would flock again) but if it did there'd be no turning back.

Wanna know how i know? Servers.

Go back and find the debate on dedicated servers vs peer based networking. Thousands of people saying they won't buy the game no matter what without dedicated server support, and then millions of people buying the game first day.
Exactly! They have nothing to lose. They charge people to play online and if people pay, they make money! Money that they would have otherwise not made. If nobody pays, then they drop the fee. They only have to invest in some software to track our accounts and collect our money.

Last edited by Jay_LHD3; 09-23-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #45
Entaille

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigearl View Post
Whether or not I'd pay a monthly fee is completely dependant on the service level I'd get by paying for it. If I got a seriously hot connection, it may be worth a few bucks. There are a lot of costs involved with hosting high quality servers.
they hardly have any servers. its all player hosted and matchmaking these days for the actual game play aspect - the only bandwidth intensive portion.. they are even pigeonholing the pc players into that shit.

let pc players control their own player hosted servers like every other FPS. we do a way better job of getting rid of hackers then any amount of crappy coding they can throw out.

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote