Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
formaxboxers

Drives: Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS/RS
PCV catch can

I've read several things about using a pcv catch can, so my question to all the performance guys on here is: I've got a LS3 ordered and I'm wondering if I should put one on it or just leave it alone?

Got screwed by original dealer in Eufuala, Oklahoma on November 3, 2009.
Found new one at Paddock Chevrolet and drove 2400 miles roundtrip to pick her up in Buffalo, New York on Nov. 5, 2009.
formaxboxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Ping Ron @ Vengeance...he'll give you some solid advice.

They installed one in mine, I think it's part of their standard when modifying LS motors...
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
formaxboxers

Noone else have any input on this subject?

Found new one at Paddock Chevrolet and drove 2400 miles roundtrip to pick her up in Buffalo, New York on Nov. 5, 2009.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
When I had a :cough, cough: Cobra, I pulled the intake manifold to have it ported and was really amazed at how much oil was plainly visible inside the intake manifold. When I put it all back together, I installed a PCV catch can for peace of mind.

Here's a link to one designed for LS engines. It looks like the real deal, read the write ups. There really is a "science" to designing a REAL catch can. It's not just about having a can to catch the oil, you need to allow the oil/air mixture to condense into oil droplets so they can be caught in the can, and the clean air to flow through. It's a little pricey, but it will be the one I go with when I replace my factory intake.

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/C6Catch_Can.html

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
formaxboxers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post
When I had a :cough, cough: Cobra, I pulled the intake manifold to have it ported and was really amazed at how much oil was plainly visible inside the intake manifold. When I put it all back together, I installed a PCV catch can for peace of mind.

Here's a link to one designed for LS engines. It looks like the real deal, read the write ups. There really is a "science" to designing a REAL catch can. It's not just about having a can to catch the oil, you need to allow the oil/air mixture to condense into oil droplets so they can be caught in the can, and the clean air to flow through. It's a little pricey, but it will be the one I go with when I replace my factory intake.

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/C6Catch_Can.html
Thanks for your input. I have looked at their catch cans, but was wondering what everyone else thinks about using them.

Is it a good decision to use one on a factory intake?

Old 10-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
antivenom

Drives: Too many to list
Good idea to use a catch can. I pulled my throttle body at only 500 miles, and there was a noticable amount of oil film on the back of the throttle blade as well as inside of the manifold. Not to mention the oil that got through the ports and burned through combustion.
antivenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

I've had my catch can on for about 2k miles...I'll empty it tomorrow and let you know what I find...
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Old 10-06-2009, 11:55 PM   #8
SSouthernboy

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
I've had my catch can on for about 2k miles...I'll empty it tomorrow and let you know what I find...
If possible, could you post up pics of where you mounted it. I'm thinking of ordering one and was curious about where they mount up.

Thanks.
SSouthernboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
E85LSX

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I also think the catch can is a good idea, the last thing you need is oil vapor entering the cylinders. But instead of a catch can I'm thinking about scavaging the crankcase through the exhaust system. When I try this I'll let you know if it works, how much vacuum it pulls ect.

E85LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #10
Camar0wn3d
formerly "wh0rsep0wer"

Drives: 2016 1SS Summit White
It would make sense to use one - I'll probably put one on...I just have two quick questions - how often do you need to drain the catch can and what happens if you don't do it often enough?

2012 2LS - Black A6 (SOLD)

2016 1SS Summit White A8
Camar0wn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #11
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Catch can picks and oil 'caught' after 2500 miles

Took a few minutes to get pics of the catch can and emptied it to see how much oil was in it after 2500 miles.

I'm not real satisfied with the current bracket, but I'm waiting to sort out my CAI issues before remedying this little cosmetic annoyance.

I was surprised by how much oil was in the can...obviously I didn't expect to fill up the center portion of the rattle can lid that I used...

Old 10-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #12
SSouthernboy

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Wow, really didn't think it would have had that much oil after 2500 miles, definitely ordering one now. Thanks for posting the pics.
SSouthernboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #13
formaxboxers

I believe that makes up my mind also. Thank you for sharing and posting pics.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #14
DaddySS
Kept The Faith

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Here's my thoughts: Oil vapors from the engine are going to happen, especially on a high performance high reving aluminum block. The old pcv systems plugged into the intake where the air fuel mixture generally did a pretty good job of washing the oil out of the intake. Mind you the oil vapors weren't good for performance then either but fuel and engines were different.

Now you take those vapors in put them in an air only intake and you have a mess - as soon as the vapors hit the cooler air in the intake and the cooler composite manifold they condense and the vapor that doesn't condense affects the octane rating of your fuel.

So with that in mind, I think a catch can is definitely a good idea. I mounted mine on the 4th gen radiator support away from the engine (a bit cooler) and ran the hoses to it so it looks stock. Works great, looks great.
DaddySS is offline   Reply With Quote