Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #15
Balue

Drives: 2013 SW 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventura 2015 1LE View Post

Not looking to run every weekend just wanted hit tracks such California Speedway, ButtonWillow, and others every so often.

Just mainly looking for track day schedules and possible club events.

Thanks
I have been running and a few others on the board with Speedventures they have an Autoclub Speedway event next weekend I wont make it but plan to make the Oct one. We had a big C5 turnout in May http://www.camaro5.com/camaro5-membe...-over-fontana/

http://www.speedventures.com/
Balue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:09 AM   #16
KRich2587

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1LE
great job OP my first track was buttonwillow as well. ran a 2:06.5 there stock. personally i love the goodyears, and have a two more sets laying around. now that im cammed i havent been back but im dying too and break the 2 minute mark. hopefully we'll run into each other at an event i haven't run in a while as im waiting until i install my oil cooler and lower tstat i ran into cooling issues at acs in may.
KRich2587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #17
Ventura 2015 1LE
Ventura 2015 1SS 1LE RS

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Thanks for the info
Ventura 2015 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:23 PM   #18
Infantryman11C
High Angle Hell

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
I think this might be a good thread to post this.....I'm looking into getting into road course and driving schools and soon track days. Anyone know of anything near Louisiana that either they attended or have heard about?

Brothers don't always have the same mother
Always remembered, Never forgotten
Infantryman11C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #19
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
I think NASA will be at NOLA about the middle of September, and Hooked On Driving has dates coming up at Roebling Road and Atlanta Motorsports Park.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #20
Infantryman11C
High Angle Hell

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I think NASA will be at NOLA about the middle of September, and Hooked On Driving has dates coming up at Roebling Road and Atlanta Motorsports Park.

Norm
Thanks for the info Norm

Brothers don't always have the same mother
Always remembered, Never forgotten
Infantryman11C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #21
Spoolin

Drives: 2014 SW 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balue View Post
Nice job and nice SW 1LE! My bro and his buddy were up there last weekend in their Miata's running on the newly paved track. I would have been up there with them in my 1LE but it was comic con weekend and I couldn't make it.

Where in CA are you at?

Next even I plan on doing is auto club the first week of Oct. when it hopefully wont be 1xx degrees out. You plan on running autoclub at all?
Hey, thanks for the compliments! I'm in Northridge I commuted to button willow 2 hours each way on both days! Was pretty comical to me to drive that far, beat seasoned track guys and drive back. There were alot of Miata's there that day but I'm sure I saw your brother at some point as I was watching everyone and trying to learn as much as I could.

Are you going to Fontana this weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by td195f View Post
I just replaced my Eagle F1 G2s with BF Goodrich g-Force Rivals just before my last track days. Very, Very Happy with the results. Tire Rack rates these tires as better than the Goodyears, also more expensive, but by far not the most expensive in the extreme performance category. Also BF Goodrich is owned by Michelin so you get there engineering and experience.
Got it, I will keep those in mind for next time. I pulled the trigger on some stock replacements, figured I still had a lot to learn before I should start swapping the car's shoes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCobra View Post
Good speed. Did the white Mustang in the first video give you a point by?
Yes he did but it was such a late/half-assed one that I don't think he expected me to take it!!
I'm a little nervous about tailing people much closer than I already am, I was trying to pass him for quite a while but since I was giving him a "DMV approved" cushion I don't think he knew I was waiting to pass him, so when he gave me the little wave I took the inside line and cut that corner. I was actually surprised at how well I was able to take that corner being off-line and all. Kudos and props to the 1LE for keeping me on the track and out of the dirt!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by umiami2312 View Post
That looks like a fast track and i'll bet you had a lot of fun. Road courses are addictive and so intoxicating because every corner/lap is a little different. The goodyears are super sticky and great on the track, I would keep the square setup for the handling especially if you are going to continue to track it. I replaced my goodyears with Pilot Super Sports and they were also phenomenal on the track. I got 12K out of the Goodyears, and expect to get 20-25K out of the PSS.

I noticed you said the car was bone stock. If you want an upgrade that will keep you a little safer on the track do some stainless steel brake lines with DOT4 fluid. You won't have to worry as much about your brake pedal going to the floor. I went a little further and did the CTS-V brake upgrade too, which gave me even more confidence to stomp on it during the straights and know I can stop when I get to the corner.
Stainless steel brake lines are on my tomorrow to-do list. Hopefully I can find them and get them installed. Also doing some Tow-hooks, changing oil, installing my front valance and a few other misc things.
Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Thanks for sharing this, so awesome to see a 1LE along with great driving, doing what it was designed to do!
I'm not sure about the "great driving" aspect of it but thank you very much! I'm stoked on learning as much as I can as fast as I can. Next week is Fontana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventura 2015 1LE View Post
Hey Guys,

Just getting my feet wet with my 1LE and would like some info on the clubs or schedules. It's been 10+ years since I tracked a car and that was in the southeast. I live in Ventura County in SoCAL.

Not looking to run every weekend just wanted hit tracks such California Speedway, ButtonWillow, and others every so often.

Just mainly looking for track day schedules and possible club events.

By the way Spoolin your a quick learner for sure posting times that are within the range of an Z06 and seasoned driver.

Thanks
I was in the same boat as you about 2 weeks before going to this event, after PM'ing a few guys on here and reading people threads I looked up "Speed Ventures" and "Hooked on Driving". They each have web-sites with the dates of their events. "Hooked on Driving" confused me (via email correspondance) with their Novice groups and I wasn't able to attend an event because of it but so far "Speed Venture's" been a blast.

Hope to see you out there soon! Let me know if you make it to any of the events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRich2587 View Post
great job OP my first track was buttonwillow as well. ran a 2:06.5 there stock. personally i love the goodyears, and have a two more sets laying around. now that im cammed i havent been back but im dying too and break the 2 minute mark. hopefully we'll run into each other at an event i haven't run in a while as im waiting until i install my oil cooler and lower tstat i ran into cooling issues at acs in may.
Hey thanks Rich! Yeah it was such a fun thing to experience! They say it's a super technical track, but since I have nothing to compare it too and it's all I know, I think I did well. I was actually pretty pissed that I didn't get a chance to get a whole session in of flogging the car and I think there's alot more room for me to improve but I won't be able to go back there for a little while, I'll have to see when their next track event is.
I have a list of mods that I want to do to my car but don't want to get ahead of my learning curve so plan on keeping it stock for the rest of the summer/Fall.
I look forward to meeting all the SoCal track guys and learning what I can. So much fun! I'll be at Fontana this weekend if your around.
Spoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:24 AM   #22
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin View Post
Yes he did but it was such a late/half-assed one that I don't think he expected me to take it!!
I'm a little nervous about tailing people much closer than I already am, I was trying to pass him for quite a while but since I was giving him a "DMV approved" cushion I don't think he knew I was waiting to pass him, so when he gave me the little wave I took the inside line and cut that corner. I was actually surprised at how well I was able to take that corner being off-line and all. Kudos and props to the 1LE for keeping me on the track and out of the dirt!!
Given that the white Mustang dropped at least one right side tire off at 12:35, a little more than normal following distance was probably in order - at least until it looked like he'd regained his composure. But a "DMV approved" following distance is too far back for your intentions of passing to be clear, particularly if the driver of the car you want to pass doesn't have a whole lot of experience either, or if there are places where he's easily opening the gap up. I've had instructors tell me to get up closer, and that's been when I was barely more than two lengths back.

A pass initiated from too far back will eat up a lot of track if the car being passed stays too deep in the throttle, and having to pass an extra 3 or 4 car lengths on top of the one that's his car plus a couple in front and only 1 or 2 behind is significant (at least 3+2+1+2 vs 2+1+2 or 8 vs 5). I think if you'd gotten down to the distance you see at 14:05 a little sooner (say, before 13:50) and not let him open it up that he'd have given you a point-by no later than when he passed the flag station (14:12-ish).

Fortunately, it did seem that when the Mustang driver finally got around to pointing you by that he did co-operate by not only getting out of it but getting on the brakes earlier than necessary for the corner. I'll give him that much credit - possibly it had occurred to him that you might have to be hard on the brakes barely after getting clear, or even that going into a corner off-line might require you to be slower than you'd otherwise be going.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #23
Balue

Drives: 2013 SW 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin View Post
Hey, thanks for the compliments! I'm in Northridge I commuted to button willow 2 hours each way on both days! Was pretty comical to me to drive that far, beat seasoned track guys and drive back. There were alot of Miata's there that day but I'm sure I saw your brother at some point as I was watching everyone and trying to learn as much as I could.

Are you going to Fontana this weekend?
No I wont be running Fontana this weekend. My brother is a two time leukemia survivor and this weekend is our annual f**k cancer party celebrating him remaining cancer free. But we will be up there on the first weekend of October.

My brothers miata is white w/black hard top, huge wing and teal accents. Now his buddy Ryans you cant really miss. It is red and black and has a huge shark mouth on the front with insane aero work.
Balue is offline   Reply With Quote