Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
stretch98

Drives: 2500HD pickup
"Limited availability"?

In the caption on the pic of the Camaro in the GM commercial on the Final Four telecast. What is that supposed to mean?
stretch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
it means that over 14,000 cars are already spoken for. So if people are looking for one they don't expect it to be readily available.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
When they get our 14,000+ cars built and the Avis cars which should have been limited until we got ours, they will start showing up in numbers on the lots. That wont happen until late summer or fall.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
DerbyChamp06

Drives: 13' RAM 1500 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
When they get our 14,000+ cars built and the Avis cars which should have been limited until we got ours, they will start showing up in numbers on the lots. That wont happen until late summer or fall.
And the great unknown is the status of GM over next few months....will they declare bankruptcy, and reorganize?....I saw a quote that the new CEO is making major cuts in work-staff, encouraging early retirement buyouts, etc, maybe closing plants.....How this affects Camaro production is still a big unknown....and hopefully it won't affect quality.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I think Camaro is gonna sink or swim based on long term sales here.

If it's hot it will keep rolling. If they stack up ....

These 14000.... Mean probably 5000 or more Corvettes sitting around somewhere (changed from v to c). And of course the Corvette plant has closed and layed off lot of people. (It's supposed to reopen in a few weeks).
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #6
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
it means that over 14,000 cars are already spoken for. So if people are looking for one they don't expect it to be readily available.
DING!
StarkyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #7
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyChamp06 View Post
And the great unknown is the status of GM over next few months....will they declare bankruptcy, and reorganize?....I saw a quote that the new CEO is making major cuts in work-staff, encouraging early retirement buyouts, etc, maybe closing plants.....How this affects Camaro production is still a big unknown....and hopefully it won't affect quality.
The new CEO is carrying out what the other CEO started with much more emphasis on now, not later. One of his first directions were to start shipping all the Camaro's to the dealers now. I think he wants them out and now. I also think he wants the preorders done as quickly as possible.

I do not think he is a dummy. He knows to make these cars is revenue in his pocket. He needs it now to help with the parts. Hold on to your hats, this is going to be a bumpy ride. I hope it is over quickly. I want the new Camaro as soon as possible.
Update...Build in process, Forged Rods, Pistons and rings, Johnson Lifters, NOVI1500 ECS SC, 13lb boost or more, LS3 Conversion 114/228/241 COMP CAM, Frostbite 4 row Aluminum radiator, 6L80 built, Circle D 6L80 PRO SERIES MULTI 258MM 2D, Stock 3.45 gears, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w/HF cat, X-Pipe, Lingenfelter dual fuel pump, E-85 flex sensor, ATI super damper pulley, Ported TB, 160 therm, Trans cooler, Pedder's sways/end links/sub frame bushings, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Coil overs. HP/TQ pending
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
PewterPhil

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro
My only concern, and it should be everyone's concern, is that GM doesnt produce way too many Camaros and the resale goes to crap. Mustangs in my area are a dime a dozen and the resale value is suffering for it.
I do believe that the nicer SS models will have the best chance to keep their value but if GM goes overboard like it seems Ford is doing now, I worry that our cars will be basically worthless in the future.
3000 = Accepted By Production Control: 3/28/2009
3300 = Scheduled For Production: 5/9/2009
3400 = Broadcast:5/13/2009
3800 = Produced: 5/22/2009
4150 = Invoiced: 5/25/2009
4200 = Shipped: 5/25/2009
5000 = Delivered To Dealer: 6/9/2009

Ordered: Victory red, black stripes, RS/SS auto, sunroof, painted engine cover.
PewterPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
PewterPhil

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
I believe that there is a really good chance that GM will file for bankruptcy. I believe from a strictly business perspective, it is their only move. If that does happen and once it reorganizes, I'm buying as much stock in the new GM as I can afford.
3000 = Accepted By Production Control: 3/28/2009
3300 = Scheduled For Production: 5/9/2009
3400 = Broadcast:5/13/2009
3800 = Produced: 5/22/2009
4150 = Invoiced: 5/25/2009
4200 = Shipped: 5/25/2009
5000 = Delivered To Dealer: 6/9/2009

Ordered: Victory red, black stripes, RS/SS auto, sunroof, painted engine cover.
PewterPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #10
NVMY68SS
Drives #296

Drives: 1968 Camaro SS - 350/5 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog View Post
The new CEO is carrying out what the other CEO started with much more emphasis on now, not later. One of his first directions were to start shipping all the Camaro's to the dealers now. I think he wants them out and now. I also think he wants the preorders done as quickly as possible.

I do not think he is a dummy. He knows to make these cars is revenue in his pocket. He needs it now to help with the parts. Hold on to your hats, this is going to be a bumpy ride. I hope it is over quickly. I want the new Camaro as soon as possible.
Yeah, so where are they? LOL I'm still sitting at 3800 for the last 20 days.........along with a lot of others.
#296 Delivered 6-1-09 Dynoed 10-3-09 384.56HP 387.65TQ with the bolt-ons listed, no tune.....yet!
Roto-Fab CAI (Install pics here), Doug Thorley Shorties, Flowmaster American Thunder 409S Cat Back Vid
NVMY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch98 View Post
In the caption on the pic of the Camaro in the GM commercial on the Final Four telecast. What is that supposed to mean?
It was the same for the Sky in 2007 when it came out, they always put Limited availability at the end of the commercials or in the print ads. Just because of the number of pre orders and what the production schedule was going to be. I am sure once all the pre orders are filled and production is up to full capacity then that little note will dissapear.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #12
DerbyChamp06

Drives: 13' RAM 1500 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog View Post

May be a very bumpy ride indeed! Let's hope for the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewterPhil View Post
My only concern, and it should be everyone's concern, is that GM doesnt produce way too many Camaros and the resale goes to crap. Mustangs in my area are a dime a dozen and the resale value is suffering for it.
I do believe that the nicer SS models will have the best chance to keep their value but if GM goes overboard like it seems Ford is doing now, I worry that our cars will be basically worthless in the future.
I understand your concern re: overproduction, but I have this uneasy sense that for time-being, they will under-produce Camaro for the next few months....just because things are so unsettled, and they may play it conservative, and take a "wait and see" approach....I sure hope not, cause I wasn't in a position to preorder, and would REALLY like to buy one off lot by late summer, at or below (wishful thinking) MSRP.

Quote:
I believe that there is a really good chance that GM will file for bankruptcy. I believe from a strictly business perspective, it is their only move. If that does happen and once it reorganizes, I'm buying as much stock in the new GM as I can afford.
Yes, think you're right. But it may be a scary few years before they are stable again....just hope Camaro-availabilty doesn't become a victim of that instabilty.
DerbyChamp06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
, I worry that our cars will be basically worthless in the future.
A car is not an investment. I'm buying this car because I am a Camaro nut.
I could care less what it it worth 10, 15 or whatever years from now. Hopefully it does keep it's value, but I'm not gonna sweat it because I got mine and I ain't selling it.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:33 PM   #14
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
May be a very bumpy ride indeed! Let's hope for the best!

I understand your concern re: overproduction, but I have this uneasy sense that for time-being, they will under-produce Camaro for the next few months....just because things are so unsettled, and they may play it conservative, and take a "wait and see" approach....I sure hope not, cause I wasn't in a position to preorder, and would REALLY like to buy one off lot by late summer, at or below (wishful thinking) MSRP.
I think that has been part of the problem... wait and see that is... reminds me of Spaceballs, "Why are we preparing were always preparing just go!!, Just go... uh sir you might wannna wooohhhooooo!!" LOL Honestly IMHO I think GM has been too conservative over the years with their designs and their ability to move forward. When I heard the news that the concept Camaro was going to production I just about died! But our wait shows us that Ford and Chrysler were on the ball already (well maybe not so much Chrysler, it seems they rushed) Anyway I will say I am glad it is here now, and I am glad they have taken the steps they have to bring us our Camaro and the wait justifies the product in this case!! I hope the Camaro sets the standard for how GM designs and builds cars, along with the Volt. High quality and precision to compete with the foreign cars! I have high expectations and hopes for GM's future and I am of the belief that a Bankruptcy is inevitable for them, but again it may be a good thing. And like Pewter Phil says I am buying as much stock as I can afford too!!