Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 05-22-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
BITCHIN CAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS SS
Can Dealers steal your car? (Fbodfather)

Or anybody else from GM with pull. Can a dealer take your order for MSRP(In writing) and then when the car arrives try to steal your order by charging you a UNAGREED upon markup in an obvious attempt to steal your preorder for themselves. Is this not a way to circumvent the preorder policy? Do we have any recourse? Can anybody help shed light on this. I have preordered from a dealer that has just been chronicled as doing this and am very worried.
BITCHIN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
Sloppy Joe

Drives: 2SS RJT
If you've read a few of the things Dealers have pulled on members of this forum, you probably already know the answer to your question.

Dealers can charge anything they want or pretty much screw you any way they want. Doesn't seem to matter if you have it in writing or not. Whether it will stand up in court has yet to be seen?

Until someone wins a big judgement against a dealer, they will probably continue to screw their customers at every opprotunity. GM probably can't do much to stop it.

Selecting the right Dealer to buy from has never been more important than it is right now.
Sloppy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
Well, it's not officially "YOUR CAR" until you sign on the dotted line and pay in full.

Just putting a deposit on a car doesn't make it yours.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Sad....

that we're now at the stage where the Forum members are finally getting their cars and now there is another wrinkle in the joy of getting a 2010 Camaro.
A few Greedy Ba$tard Stealerships ruining the excitement.

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
JYP PBear

Drives: 2000 camaro
it depends on what you mean by " in writing" if you just have some slip saying it will be at msrp, then yes, they can. If, however, you have something akin to a contract with both your and the sales manager's (or other figure of authority within the dealership) signature on it, then it will hold in court that they have to sell at msrp.
JYP PBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #6
Saving41

Drives: IBM 1SS
Isn't the salesman a authorized agent of the dealership. With the
Owners knowledge, acting on the owners behalf, isn't the owner then responsible for the transactions?

BTW 2 page letter sent to GM Corporation, dealership comments, Chevrolet

http://www.gm.com/utilities/contact_...p?deep=contact
Saving41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
JYP PBear

well if that's the case then the salesman's signature is also binding and will hold up in court. I know general law but as pertaining to dealerships I know next to squat as that is not what I'm going to school for. in any case, regardless of what laws each state has to let dealerships off the hook, it is a contract and that's all that matters.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
I would be worried.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
Saving41

Drives: IBM 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYP PBear View Post
well if that's the case then the salesman's signature is also binding and will hold up in court. I know general law but as pertaining to dealerships I know next to squat as that is not what I'm going to school for. in any case, regardless of what laws each state has to let dealerships off the hook, it is a contract and that's all that matters.
Well, I am not even a lawyer...nor have i recently stayed in a Holiday in...so this is gathered information that was generally more in the form of a question.
I bet you have forgotten more about a lot of things than I could ever hope to remember!
Have a great weekend!
Saving41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:10 AM   #10
Sloppy Joe

Drives: 2SS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYP PBear View Post
it depends on what you mean by " in writing" if you just have some slip saying it will be at msrp, then yes, they can. If, however, you have something akin to a contract with both your and the sales manager's (or other figure of authority within the dealership) signature on it, then it will hold in court that they have to sell at msrp.
They don't have to honor the contract!!....The contract means nothing unless the customer is willing to take it to court and win a judgement.

Most people won't take the time or go to that much trouble. They just walk away. We have seen that happen on this forum more than once already. People get so pissed they just want to put the whole horrible experince behind them and move on. The dealers are counting on that reaction.

You have to actually sue them and win to make the signed contract mean anything. Until that happens, it's just a piece of paper.

Last edited by Sloppy Joe; 05-23-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Sloppy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:43 AM   #11
GRM RPR

Drives: 2005 Chevy Trailblazer LT
If your "Deposit" is NON-REFUNDABLE you should have a very solid case!

2010 Camaro 2SS
Cyber Gray Metallic/Black Interior
VIN: 2G1FT1EW0A9109465

Purchased on 27 May 2009
Sales: Allyson Bailey , Ayers Chevrolet in Dover, NJ

R6P folks have waited for long enough GM!!! Build early orders before any new dealer orders regardless of allocation. Stop treating your most loyal customers so unfairly!!!
GRM RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:45 AM   #12
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRM RPR View Post
If your "Deposit" is NON-REFUNDABLE you should have a very solid case!
It's against California law to have a non refundable deposit.

If you are still interested in getting a Camaro, I'd check with a dealer in Bakersfield (3 way Chevrolet) or go farther south to Temecula (Paradise). They are consistantly in the top 3 dealerships in the state and will be receiving additional allocations.

I know Paradise has 13+ orders in production or awaiting delivery, with about the same number of orders waiting. I ordered on the 1st of May and I'm already near or at 3000. (haven't checked in a couple of days) They are a great and you don't have to deal with any
Old 05-23-2009, 02:56 AM   #13
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
It's against California law to have a non refundable deposit.
Source?
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:01 AM   #14
JYP PBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
They don't have to honor the contract!!....The contract means nothing unless the customer is willing to take it to court and win a judgement.

Most people won't take the time or go to that much trouble. They just walk away. We have seen that happen on this forum more than once already. People get so pissed they just want to put the whole horrible experince behind them and move on. The dealers are counting on that reaction.

You have to actually sue them and win to make the signed contract mean anything. Until that happens, it's just a piece of paper.

which is specifically why I said it would hold in court. what you say is true about it being a piece of paper until you put it into play. money is much the same in this sense. That said, I stick with my previous (amended) statement
that if you have a contract signed by both yourself and an authorized individual from the dealership stating that the car will be sold at msrp (depending on how you go about it it may not need to be signed by you, but that always helps), you can press charges if they breach the contract.