Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-08-2010, 06:08 AM   #1
Sean_W

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
Sports car advertising taking a turn, but still confused why no Camaro Commercial

Hello,

Ok, so it's common knowledge that most car companies don't advertise their sport cars and such. We never saw commercials for Firebirds, Camaros (past and present), Corvettes. But now, ford is advertising the new mustang really hard. What makes this car different from other coupes they wouldn't have advertised in the past. Is Chevy hurting themselves by not advertising the Camaro, if just for the fact that their compitition is doing just that? Wouldn't the mustang fall under that "We don't need to advertise this" category?

So what am I missing?

2SS/RS Inferno Orange Metalic & Cyber Grey Stripes

My Homepage
http://titanic-model.com
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
Bryan

Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
camaro is kicking their asses in sales at the moment. They need to get some of that back.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
SSyanide

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
The 4th gen Trans Am actually had some of the best modern muscle car commercials I can remember. I think the car companies don't spend money on advertising the muscle cars now because the fan/buyer base is already established, it's the everyday cars they sell that need promoting and hence, get all the $$$ and TV time.
SSyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
I have not seen one Mustang commercial.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I would like to see more Camaro commercials
Old 05-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Hmm, I dunno, you might have heard of those two movies, you know, Transformers and Transformers 2.

What was that, 2 or 3 hours of total advertising for the Camaro?

And considering the two movies pulled in a total gross of over $1.5 billion, I would say the Chevrolet Camaro has been advertised pretty heavily.

Plus, I've seen the Camaro pop up in several different TV shows over the past couple seasons, so I would say GM and Chevrolet are doing a pretty good job at advertising our beloved cars.

And I haven't even mentioned the several TV ads I've seen so far for Chevrolet in general that had quick shots of the Camaro in them.

I think, though, I have only seen one full commercial devoted entirely to the Camaro. So, if that's what you think sells cars, then I suppose Chevrolet hasn't done a very good job in that respect

All-in-all, I would say the odds are pretty well stacked against the Challenger and Mustang. Though, the Mustang has always been a very popular brand name, but I would think that the money Ford is currently putting into TV advertising is to try and make up ground with the major advantage the Camaro has already staked.
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
Amn_Bly

Drives: IBM 2LT A6
Send a message via Skype™ to Amn_Bly
I agree with CamaroSkooter, there are many movies and tv shows that have the camaro in it. Chevy's new "may the best car win" commercials have had a short, very short spot for the camaro. But i do like chevy motto very to the point. Also the camaro has been on top for about a year now, why would you need to advertise the best selling thing out there?
Amn_Bly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
I have seen commercials for Camaros, and Corvettes.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
navmaxlp

Drives: Not a Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
I have seen commercials for Camaros, and Corvettes.
I have as well but, only recently.
navmaxlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The Mustang needs advertising. After blowing all that money on a mediocre redesign in 2010 only to get outsold month after month, Ford needs to recoup that money. Add to that the expense of putting out a new powerhouse under the hood. Ford needs the Mustang to sell. Right now, the Camaro is still more desirable to the casual buyer.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:09 AM   #11
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
I have not seen one Mustang commercial.
Think it was on during american Idol, showed a dark grafite one speeding throu the streets of a city with some kind of modern rock song playing. have only seen it once though

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #12
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
I know most have already seen this a 1000 times, but I still like it, although it never made it to TV.

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
The only thing you are missing is why you advertise.

Now you can certainly make an argument that GM should use the Halo effect of hot cars like the Camaro and Corvette for overall image, but the reason to advertise is to make potential customers aware of you product so that they will want to purchase it. And as of right now, Oshawa is running full bore to satisfy demand for the Camaro.

So if it were your business, would you spend millions to make a commercial and millions more to air it when you wouldn't sell even one more Camaro because of it?

But there has always been discussion on using the Halo cars to do just that, create a Halo for Chevy. We'll see if that happens a bit more with some of the new marketing moves in GM Leadership. I, for one, hope so.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #14
hollywoodGU

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
You only ever see the V6 Camaro in the ads tho, Never the V8....I wonder where they will go with that when the Z28 makes in re-appearance.
hollywoodGU is offline   Reply With Quote