Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-05-2014, 08:16 AM   #1
velocity149

Drives: 2014 2SS RS LS3
Camaro, More Than Just A Car

I am probably not the first to say this, but I find my car to be more than just a car. Waking up in the morning for work is just that much more fun, knowing I get to drive to work in her. I have yet to name her, but have decided that I am going to be a little easier on it starting this summer. I bought the car with the intention of DD'ing the thing, but after doing so, I feel I would rather try to make it last a few more years, by getting a second car for work commute, and boring driving. I am going to get something good on gas, and 4 door (probably an old VW golf). Love the car, and am glad to say, that I am in the position to have her as just a "toy".

Moral of the story: I finally get the thought process of the guys that don't DD their Camaros.

Thanks for reading

Brian

Thank our veterans for peace today, Support our troops for peace tomorrow. RIP Dad, 1962-2012 SYOTOS
velocity149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
tjk_art

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity149 View Post
I am probably not the first to say this, but I find my car to be more than just a car. Waking up in the morning for work is just that much more fun, knowing I get to drive to work in her. I have yet to name her, but have decided that I am going to be a little easier on it starting this summer. I bought the car with the intention of DD'ing the thing, but after doing so, I feel I would rather try to make it last a few more years, by getting a second car for work commute, and boring driving. I am going to get something good on gas, and 4 door (probably an old VW golf). Love the car, and am glad to say, that I am in the position to have her as just a "toy".

Moral of the story: I finally get the thought process of the guys that don't DD their Camaros.

Thanks for reading

Brian

tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #3
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Mine was used for 500+miles a week, now I have a company vehicle, and the Camaro became a "toy" , so I traded her in for a fully loaded Vert, now when I take her out it is for pure enjoyment.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #4
Mr.Jgunn65

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2/SS
Amen Brotha.
Mr.Jgunn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
BruHop

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE,RS,NPP,Recaros in SW
I am with you. Seems frustrating to sit idling at a light to only move forward to the next light. i drive mine weekends only and look forward to doing so. In addition to the fact that door dings are a strong possibility where I work. 2 door POS Honda Civic is my sacrifical DD. really makes you appreciate the Camaro.

Last edited by BruHop; 05-05-2014 at 10:46 AM.
BruHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:

Thanks for reading

Brian
It's all in perspective. I just came from driving a pretend car for my work commute. It looks like a great idea on paper until you realize there's nothing enjoyable about it, and you're driving a car you're not really in love with, to a job you're not necessarily always in love with, either. Having a hot car to drive on both ends of my work day really keeps me engaged.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
HollyVenus
The girl with the 2 Danes

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS LS3
I DD mine and I have to say I am happy with that... sure I would love to put some more time into mine however I travel for work and I get what someone above called a Pretend car while I travel and it's just not the same (I love travelling for my job, and every once in a while I get the luxury of being upgraded to a Camaro) but I really enjoy having a fun ride to and from work!
Old 05-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I DD mine. We'll see what happens at the end of the season though. If I keep throwing stuff at it, I might make it a fair-weather DD and get a beater S10 for daily and moving stuff around.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:

Thanks for reading

Brian
Glad to hear you love your Camaro!

Now I'll play devil's advocate. You love driving your Camaro and it actually makes getting up for work more fun because you get to drive it. So in response to this you are thinking of getting a crappy DD car and take that fun away from yourself?

I've done the commuter car thing in the past and I don't recommend it. I ended up putting too much time and money into the commuter car to make it more enjoyable and ended up selling the car I was trying to 'save' because it seemed pointless to have a car I never drove.

Life is too short to save your car for the next owner. If you have a car you love to drive you should drive it all the time!
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #10
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
It's all in perspective. I just came from driving a pretend car for my work commute. It looks like a great idea on paper until you realize there's nothing enjoyable about it, and you're driving a car you're not really in love with, to a job you're not necessarily always in love with, either. Having a hot car to drive on both ends of my work day really keeps me engaged.
I love both my cars. Bought my Pontiac G6 brand new back in '06 and haven't let her go since so keeping her as DD is great, love that car. The G6 has a 210hp V6 LX9, enough to have a little fun, keep the MPGs up there and keep me out of trouble . Sole purpose of the G6 is to "take the pain" of daily driving and sitting in a parking lot for 8-10 hours at work plus a 40 min traffic heavy commute and keep the Camaro nice. I drive the **$$ out of the Camaro on the weekends and twice a week to work though and love it! The 2 times I take my Camaro in are the happiest I am at work, go for a drive at lunch and just let problems melt away. Its a fantastic treat and I'd hate to lose that about the Camaro and have it become "another car".

In the end, I love driving both my cars, why I have both

I can see the Camaro being a great DD but all up to what the owner wants to do
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #11
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Picked up mine for the sole purpose of being a dd. The Z06 was my daily but im getting ready to sell it for a newer Zr1 vette (wont be my dd). Life is too short (as mentioned earlier) to not enjoy every second of it (my opinion). Personally I would never have a pos beater for commuting it would make me miserable. The 2ss ls3 (im going to mod it out a bit) is the perfect fun car as a dd for me. These are awesome machines and im gunna enjoy mine as much as possible ☺
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #12
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Picked up mine for the sole purpose of being a dd. The Z06 was my daily but im getting ready to sell it for a newer Zr1 vette (wont be my dd). Life is too short (as mentioned earlier) to not enjoy every second of it (my opinion). Personally I would never have a pos beater for commuting it would make me miserable. The 2ss ls3 (im going to mod it out a bit) is the perfect fun car as a dd for me. These are awesome machines and im gunna enjoy mine as much as possible ☺
I agree if you have a daily commute, especially a longer one why not have something you enjoy driving and being in?
Old 05-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #13
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Well like I said a few posts ago, I have my company truck/work van provided for me for my line of work, so Heck, I just drive that for work all the time, if someone is going to provide it for you then you really have no choice but to drive the Camaro for pleasure on the weekends or whatever. Now.....if I didn't have a company vehicle then I would love to use my new vert as a DD. On my last job I drove it FOR the company but I loved every mile of it. It still had really good trade in value for a car with 51000 miles on it and just two years old, so I say to heck with it......drive the piss out of it! I was just one of the fortunate ones to have a company vehicle now to put all the "work" miles on.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #14
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Mines a weekend cruiser I love it it's like another child (that I secretly love the most) and take care of more than myself. I get crap from people all the time why don't you drive it instead of making it a garage queen. I simply say first I'm 6ft 3in tall and driving it with car seats is an absolute no go at any station, second I want to take good care of what I have, there's more money in wheels alone than most people have in their entire car. So for me it is more than a car that's why I bought it this is my very expensive hobby that I can enjoy, no not every day but that's the way my life is, someday yea I'll get to take it out everyday. Until then I'll enjoy it when I can.