Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
SandiCandi

Drives: 2010 Camaro
AN OPEN LETTER TO GM - And in the end....

All of the negativity that’s been posted on this forum and other threads are down to two simple things that companies somehow never seem to quite understand no matter how many MBAs and management consultants they employ. It comes down to a lack of communication and an understanding of how customers expect to be treated.

Those who were the "Early Oderers" of the 2010 Camaro expected that they would be the first to:
1) Have a realistic methodology of finding out, up to the minute, the status of their cars. There is so much distain for the 800 number that it has become the joke of the Camaro forums.
2) Expected that their cars were going to be among the first built.
3) Expected that their cars were going to be among the first to be delivered to them.
4) Expected that they would be given some special consideration because they were the first to put their hard earned money down on a car that they never actually saw, never sat in or drove, in an economy that has been the worst in 60 years, and are hearing almost daily the possibility of bankrupcy.
Instead, only some have received a letter and a picture, the infamous “Welcome Kit”. There are many more who ordered in October who are still waiting.
Yes, no one said the world is fair, but there hasn't been an attempt by GM to try to make it a bit fairer for those who are trying to back them - their CUSTOMERS!
So yes, the “early orderers” are 100% right for feeling they are not being treated fairly.
You can argue technicalities such as they didn't "buy a car" it’s just a place holder in the ordering process; that they were unrealistic in thinking their cars would be the first to be built, delivered, etc. But honestly, what percent of us are knowledgeable about the whole automobile ordering, manufacturing and delivery process. And because only a tiny fraction might know, then at the very least GM had a responsibility to send out communications to make it clear to the best of their ability what we were to expect. And they didn't. Not knocking “fbodfather”, but it is unfair that he could only offer hints at what was going on. GM employs people that are supposedly experts in Communications - what happened?
And yes we understand there is probably a significant amount of turmoil going on in GM, but this is just one car and probably one of the most significant one that is coming out in a decade, and it was GMs golden opportunity to show how they can get it right with their customers. They did not.
Perhaps the whole fiasco with the "launch" of the Camaro will be a business school study of what went wrong and how to avoid doing it again, or in another car company.
So GM, you have lost a lot of respect from your most loyal followers and customers, created some bad blood and rather than making the end of what would seem like Christmas Eve for the most forgiving among your customers, it’s been more like a bad bar fight amongst us.
I seriously hope that this thread makes it way to GM brass and soon. You owe us an explanation. We deserve nothing less. Perhaps the press will want to take notice and raise the issue to a higher tenor.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:
Notice how OP posted and bailed?

I suspected when I started this thread there would be criticism of my comments. And I wanted to wait to get a sense of what the reaction would be before responding. But first, let me say up front, my sincere apologies if anyone was offended.
Here's my concern - as I look back on the prior threads and postings that there was a lot of excitement and good natured kidding around by the members and moderators about the 2010 Camaro. Even the threads about the ambient lighting were, well, "interesting".
But in the last few weeks the fun has been quickly slipping away. And those who are the most angry are those who have, real or imagined, been left with the feeling that they have not been given the facts from GM. And I wanted to speak out to voice my concerns for them and myself. I DO want my car to be perfect. I DO want to get it when its fully baked and ready for prime time. And I wish all the dealers had all the info. And I don't want to attack GM - they need all the help they can get. BUT, we're all spending a lot of money for a relative unknown, all we have is some good(?) second hand info, but IN MY OPINION GM should have done more at the most critical time in its history, it should have been able to step up to the plate and knock one out of the park in following thru on its communication. And remember there are a couple of hundred members on this and other forums, but over 14,000 who have ordered. What do they think, where are they getting info from - correct or incorrect?
Anyway, thanks for letting me say my piece. You are all a great group and my prayers is that very soon each and every one of us will get our perfect children and we'll start posting pictures and boasting about them and their adventures. And the fun will return. And fbodfather, DON'T EVER LEAVE US! Peace, SandiCandi

Last edited by SandiCandi; 04-14-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I'll play devils advocate and say Chevrolet is not a make to order company. They are trying to get it right. They care about the customer.

In your defense those are strong points and I would be going nuts if I was buying one this year.

But Chevy is a lot company not a take out pizza delivery. The competition are going to be selling well stocked on lots not custom ordered. If you try to order a Mustang most Ford salesmen would laugh at your and spend as much energy and money as they can to get you to take one in stock or the pull one already built.

I would be willing to bet the staff and the mgmt would like nothing more than to get the ball rolling here. Not to have you upset.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiCandi View Post
All of the negativity that’s been posted on this forum and other threads are down to two simple things that companies somehow never seem to quite understand no matter how many MBAs and management consultants they employ. It comes down to a lack of communication and an understanding of how customers expect to be treated.

Those who were the "Early Oderers" of the 2010 Camaro expected that they would be the first to:
1) Have a realistic methodology of finding out, up to the minute, the status of their cars. There is so much distain for the 800 number that it has become the joke of the Camaro forums.
3) Expected that their cars were going to be among the first to be delivered to them.
4) Expected that they would be given some special consideration because they were the first to put their hard earned money down on a car that they never actually saw, never sat in or drove, in an economy that has been the worst in 60 years, and are hearing almost daily the possibility of bankrupcy.
Instead, only some have received a letter and a picture, the infamous “Welcome Kit”. There are many more who ordered in October who are still waiting.
Yes, no one said the world is fair, but there hasn't been an attempt by GM to try to make it a bit fairer for those who are trying to back them - their CUSTOMERS!
So yes, the “early orderers” are 100% right for feeling they are not being treated fairly.
You can argue technicalities such as they didn't "buy a car" it’s just a place holder in the ordering process; that they were unrealistic in thinking their cars would be the first to be built, delivered, etc. But honestly, what percent of us are knowledgeable about the whole automobile ordering, manufacturing and delivery process. And because only a tiny fraction might know, then at the very least GM had a responsibility to send out communications to make it clear to the best of their ability what we were to expect. And they didn't. Not knocking “fbodfather”, but it is unfair that he could only offer hints at what was going on. GM employs people that are supposedly experts in Communications - what happened?
And yes we understand there is probably a significant amount of turmoil going on in GM, but this is just one car and probably one of the most significant one that is coming out in a decade, and it was GMs golden opportunity to show how they can get it right with their customers. They did not.
Perhaps the whole fiasco with the "launch" of the Camaro will be a business school study of what went wrong and how to avoid doing it again, or in another car company.
So GM, you have lost a lot of respect from your most loyal followers and customers, created some bad blood and rather than making the end of what would seem like Christmas Eve for the most forgiving among your customers, it’s been more like a bad bar fight amongst us.
I seriously hope that this thread makes it way to GM brass and soon. You owe us an explanation. We deserve nothing less. Perhaps the press will want to take notice and raise the issue to a higher tenor.
...I...I think I love you! Great post!!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
camaros and vettes
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2008 Corvette
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TO SANDI CANDI THAT IS!! HE HE

Last edited by camaros and vettes; 04-14-2009 at 06:41 PM. Reason: left something out
Old 04-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
GLBL WMR
Booya

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS
Although I don't necessarily agree with some of your specifics, I totally agree with the underlying main points.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
sorry, but i totally dissagree with you.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
sooner25

Drives: 1985 Iroc Z, 2010 2SS/RS
Totally agree. I don't want to be totally negative because I love the fact that I am going to be able to buy a Camaro, but I'm getting really tired of all the people saying we are "lucky" to be able to buy a Camaro. Maybe I'm a little behind, but from my perspective, being "lucky" is not giving a company my hard earned money.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
I'd like to see another company that has done a roll out like this, at the scale GM has. JMO.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
alex33x

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
I'll play devils advocate and say Chevrolet is not a make to order company. They are trying to get it right. They care about the customer.

In your defense those are strong points and I would be going nuts if I was buying one this year.

But Chevy is a lot company not a take out pizza delivery. The competition are going to be selling well stocked on lots not custom ordered. If you try to order a Mustang most Ford salesmen would laugh at your and spend as much energy and money as they can to get you to take one in stock or the pull one already built.

I would be willing to bet the staff and the mgmt would like nothing more than to get the ball rolling here. Not to have you upset.
Actually your really off there, I've had 5 mustangs 3 of those I special ordered and customized to my liking. It took exactly 3 weeks for my last car which is the one I currently have to get built and shipped.

So no the salesmen dont laught at you they work with you to get you what you want.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiCandi View Post

You got balls baby! I commend you for voicing your concerns but keeping it civil.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #11
piddlewink

Drives: 2lt Red jewel vin#6632
I Have been on this site every day since march and I finally decided to register. Ordered oct 16 and have been sitting at 3000 for about 3 weeks. I agree with SandiCandi 100%.Nobody knows whats going on with delivery or tpw.Many rumors
Old 04-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #12
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Umm i really dont think EVERY other car company does this, and no ford wouldnt "laugh in your face"... like alex stated above my experience was similiar i bought my car brand new as well...
Old 04-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #13
Cmurf_SS
"SLOMARO"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
While I dont feel negatively toward GM, I do feel that the process should have been communicated to those not "in the know". Whether that be the dealers responsibility or GM's is up for debate. Along with that debate, should come the one regarding what GM's standards are for their dealers. It has been very suprising to me.. a first time GM "PRE-ORDERER", at the amount of negative dealers there have been comments about. You always expect a few bad apples, but the sheer number of either ignorant, or irresponsible dealers out there does make me question GM's standards.

However, I do not want to make this sound like a trash GM comment, because its not. Every business has it's qwirks, this could have been a great opportunity for GM to exceed everyone elses standards of service and prove their commitment to customers. Did they in the vehicle itself?? In my opinon ABSOLUTELY!! Did they when it comes to the process?? I think it could have been better.

Either way, I am looking forward to eventually getting my Camaro and attempting to sell as many people as I can on the car.. I want to see a 2011 model, a Z28, a "vert" and many more Camaros for years to come.

Dyno'd before VARARAM TUNE unit at 390hp
Old 04-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #14
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex33x View Post
Actually your really off there, I've had 5 mustangs 3 of those I special ordered and customized to my liking. It took exactly 3 weeks for my last car which is the one I currently have to get built and shipped.

So no the salesmen dont laught at you they work with you to get you what you want.
Did you need some warm milk to go with your Ford? Sorry but my point is valid. Ford is going to sell you cars already built. That's how they roll.

Has nothing to do with Camaro which has been out of production for years vs an active line just making minor changes.

Closed Thread