Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 06-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #29
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI DAVE View Post
I find that tough to swallow due to the mid to high 13 sec 1/4 mile times I have seen from most in the Camaro SS.

Face it..the Camaro SS is not "King of the road".....You could lose to a Mustang GT or Challenger SRT8 or RT

All three cars can hall azz
High 13 seconds for the SS is the same for high 14 seconds for an R/T. That one is so slow dont bring that garbage in here.

The GT is a looser as well. No way that wins in the 1/4 without having a MUCH better driver.

SRT is more of a drivers race. But you put the same driver in each car and he wins in the SS.

The SS is the king until you put a bad driver in there.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #30
wlvrine

Drives: 2013 HW Edition
So what is the best tip for racing some yahoo, that's feeling froggy, at a light, or stop sign??
I doubt you would have enough time for Launch Mode, so what do you guys recommend.
I'm no seasoned racer, so this is why I ask. I don't want to get caught with my pants down.
:-)
wlvrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #31
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlvrine View Post
So what is the best tip for racing some yahoo, that's feeling froggy, at a light, or stop sign??
I doubt you would have enough time for Launch Mode, so what do you guys recommend.
I'm no seasoned racer, so this is why I ask. I don't want to get caught with my pants down.
:-)
launch mode is apparently really slow.

Competative/sport.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #32
HEMI DAVE

Drives: 2016 Z06, 2015 Hellcat Challenger,
I see they have stocked up on more kool aid for some of you fanboys.......

Prepare for a reality check of your invincibility

Last edited by HEMI DAVE; 06-25-2009 at 02:31 PM.
HEMI DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #33
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
SS and SRT is a race; RT and GT not as much. we are talking straight line speed here.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #34
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
I have seen stock 2010GT go 13.1's all day. I would call that a drivers race, exp since I have seen 2010 Maro's at our track do 13.1~13.7's. I have yet to see a new maro break into the 12's stock.

So yeah I would say that a driver race. A 05~09 GT is a different story...unless moded.
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #35
LabRat

Drives: Wheeled Vehicles
Quote:

Oh come now!

Fan Boyz come in all flavors, just like that KoolAid!

I have always said, the Gen5 is just a fat chick away from the Chally SRT8 weight!

Check Your Package may have a whole new meaning soon!!!

LabRat
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #36
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
I have seen stock 2010GT go 13.1's all day. I would call that a drivers race, exp since I have seen 2010 Maro's at our track do 13.1~13.7's. I have yet to see a new maro break into the 12's stock.

So yeah I would say that a driver race. A 05~09 GT is a different story...unless moded.
look up testing done by Hot Rod magazine. they managed a 12.9. so there.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #37
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
stock GT running lows 13s... maybe at sea level or whatever but i dont think they run low 13s on average. people got to be fair here; the camaro is going to run like the 06 GTO, which is low 13s; the GT mustang is going to run mid 13s
Old 06-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #38
Lee9710

Drives: 2013 Summit White ZL1
Send a message via Yahoo to Lee9710
Quote:

Not by that R/T you got there bud........not even an SRT-8 half the time for that matter. A 2010 GT isn't keeping up either Ninjak, raced one and butchered it. I'm not just talking crap here guys.....I have either raced my SS at the track against these cars or have friends that have. I don't go by magazine times, I go by real world times. My SS has taken 2005-2010 GT's easily, R/T Challenger's and Charger's easily, and a SRT-8 Charger easily. The only race was to the SRT-8 Challenger and it was pretty close but my SS still pulled away slightly by the finish. The last race of the night I lost to a 2007 Corvette, and that was not a horrible loss. Many of you call us ''fanboys'' but you are doing the same d**n thing by coming in here talking up your GT's or Chally's. And too many times I see, well that video showed or that mag said........get off that crap and go to the track and watch some people that truly can drive and are not just there to bring a new car out. The funny thing is that all you guys are putting down a Camaro that hasn't even been broken in yet. Let's face it guys......you are getting beat by a car that doesn't even have all of it's power yet.......and Dodge's most expensive Challenger, the SRT-8 which is supposed to be the rival to a GT500, keeps losing to a $10k less car. If you are gonna say that your R/T can beat a car that an SRT-8 has trouble with, you are dreaming pal and the same goes for the GT Mustang. I have seen these races and times from great drivers almost on a weekly basis. And as far as the Mustang has 100 less HP, those same Mustang drivers have no shame talking crap to SS and GTO drivers everyday. If the guys that drive the 100 less HP car can talk crap.......then put up with being classified in the same class of car. GT Mustangs, SS Camaros, and Challengers have been in the same class for decades so dont give me that stuff about 100 less HP.

Proud Owner of the baddest Camaro ever built
ZL1
Lee9710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #39
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Well I am at a track Palm Beach International Speedway, Florida. I have seen 2010 GT's run low 13's. Not a magazine, not internet racing, but real people real cars. I have not seen a stock camaro run under 13. Note "SEEN" as smell the smoke from burnouts, hear the rev's, watch the cars go down the track.

There is a Grey GT 2010 that runs pretty much the same times every time on DR's. He commented on the track pack, and how smooth he can launch with fords new stab control. I have watch the car run, and it can run well. There is also a black maro that runs very well, on DR's and I suspect she will break 13's soon.

Nobody is not saying the camaro cannot run, I have seen it for myself. I WILL say that they can and are being beaten by the cars mention here. Simply because not every REAL person is going to get behind the wheel and run low 13's It's the driver.

Sure the maro is capable of much more, Lee you run all the times it seems. What have you ran ? Have you ran a 12 yet ? Sure you butchered a 2010GT. But what did you run, and what did he run ? If the GT ran a high 13, then they are a poor driver. Average times for that car should be mid 13's. I am saying and still saying, with good drivers, a Camaro will beat a stock 2010GT, but its not going to be a killing. Its going to be 13.1 vs 13.3 or so....and that's not getting butchered.

Against a SRT8 its going to be a drivers race as a SRT8 does not weigh much more than a maro, and has the same power. At Maroso I have seen SRT8's beat Maro's at our track...though the guy will not pop his hood though......
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #40
Lee9710

Im right at 13's so far.......the GTs have been from 13.3 to 13.4 steadily. My big thing was that the R/T was mentioned earlier to be able to take the SS which is damn near impossible unless the SS driver is horrible. Dodge would not make a R/T able to keep up with an SRT-8. If the race goes either way with the SRT-8 Chally and SS Camaro, the R/T stands no chance. Im pretty sure with some better tires I can crack into the 12.9 or 12.8 range. Im gonna try either this weekend or next. The GT Mustang I could see from the lack of weight.........but not the Chally R/T........no way no chance. But there is 1 other SS around here and it is taking the GT also around same times. A good driver can do alot, but not take an R/T Chally and beat a SS Camaro with a good driver.

ZL1
Old 06-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #41
HEMI DAVE

Drives: 2016 Z06, 2015 Hellcat Challenger,
I offer some tangible evidence of the Challenger R/T real world performance at the track....so I am not just talking out of my butt.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums...ck-times-6689/

I have in fact beaten a Challenger SRT8 and a Pontiac GTO with my stock Challenger R/T (close races both).

I have not had the pleasure of trying a Camaro SS yet but I would think its about as fast as the GTO....

I did have a V6 Camaro try me and lets just say I dont think he will try to race an R/T again.

I am not putting the Camaro down at all.....its plenty fast....but dont forget these cars are all only fractions of a second apart....so nobody needs to be pounding their chest
Old 06-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #42
Lee9710

So I see 13.4 in the 1/4 with a modded Chally..........and stock vs. stock you have not beaten an SRT-8 Chally or a GTO unless the driver's sucked. I ran a 12.8 1/4 in my old 05 GTO with drag tires so whatever man, keep on talking.May I be the first to call BS.

ZL1