Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
DVAS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
HELP, STUPID Mistake

Okay, so I decided to spray paint some wood trim outside of the garage... Well..... I am sure you know the rest of the story:

It was windy outside and yes, I have (white) over spray all over the the Black SS.... WTF.... I literally just noticed it from yesterday after taking a spin to the gracery store. First drive since and UGH....

Any advice would be MORE THAN greatly appreciated. As soon as I finish posting this, I am going to google for helpful hints, but sure one of you pro's on here got some good advice... Besides: dont ever do that again! LOL.... I know, it was very stupid....... Thanks in advacne for advice!!!
DVAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Rounki

Drives: 2010 CGM SS/RS IO Int.
Might wanna try some clay. Clay bar and some lubricant or soapy water goes a long way.

XS Power 1 7/8 LT Headers
XS Power 3" Cat Back
Vmax TB
ADM Street Intake
H&R Springs
Forgestar F14s
Tuned by HPT
Rounki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
Cristoff

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS in Red Jewel
If it's just light overspray, a claybar may do the trick. If it's heavy I'll digress to Junkman or someone with more knowledge than I have.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Any bug removing product will work and not harm the paint. If it is worse than you can use a cleaner wax, which will also take off the over spray. I have been there and that is what I used. Just wax the car afterward.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Light overspray can easily be taken out with a clay bar. Clean the panel well with car soap and water then Use some detail spray as a lube and clay the hell out of the area. Depending on how dry it is you may have to use a good amount of pressure. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
DVAS

THANK YOU....THANK YOU.... I've been googleing away, since this HAS TO BE removed needless to say. And I am afraid to take it somewhere, I would prefer to do it myself.

Have you heard of: denatured alcohol .... In another post on a Vette forum, someone referenced Painter using this to remove latex paint... The stuff I used to spray was Rustoleum in a can... Some SUPER sticky crap. I'm such an idiot.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
DVAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
Any bug removing product will work and not harm the paint. If it is worse than you can use a cleaner wax, which will also take off the over spray. I have been there and that is what I used. Just wax the car afterward.
SWEET, I also read Bug and Tar remover... Just means that I will have to go back to my #1 Coat of wax... The car only has a little over 1,000 miles and has been waxed about 6-8 times. Only caught in rain once... Looks like I will be stocking up tomorrow at advance auto and coming home and speaning my morning and afternoon in the garage.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
I use it all the time if I am painting the under carriage and somehow get some over spray on the paint. It works well and with a little bit of pressure will take it all off. I had a new car and was driving under an overpass that was getting painted, yea they did it in the day time. Needless to say my Red car had tan over spray all over it. Got the Bug and Tar remover and you could not tell. Good luck.

Note: The longer you wait the harder it is to remove the over spray, and if you park in the sun it will be much harder so do it fast.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
I use a mild polish

Adams, Meguirs, 3M etc.
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
IC1Patton

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Try a 3m rubbing compound and a buffer just make sure its the liquid rubbing compound and a foam pad
IC1Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #11
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
combination of clay bar and bug and tar remover got up some oil based deck stain that somehow ended up on my car last year.

Since you've waxed, there is probably a layer of wax between the overspray and your clearcoat. fear not. and be sure to read the directions on the clay bar packaging, you need to use it on a wet surface, or else you'll just smear clay on your car.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #12
DVAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
I use it all the time if I am painting the under carriage and somehow get some over spray on the paint. It works well and with a little bit of pressure will take it all off. I had a new car and was driving under an overpass that was getting painted, yea they did it in the day time. Needless to say my Red car had tan over spray all over it. Got the Bug and Tar remover and you could not tell. Good luck.

Note: The longer you wait the harder it is to remove the over spray, and if you park in the sun it will be much harder so do it fast.
Thanks... What idiots, painting over pass allowing traffic, during the day at that.... I made the listake yesterday, gonna tackle it in the moring, its garaged and I plan to tackle it in the morning.

Thank you tons... The help here is imeasurable
Old 06-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #13
DVAS

Thanks Gang, I will be sure to be at it tomorrow bright and early, cant get to it tonight. and it IS KILLING ME.... I will let you all know the outcome... It is literally covering the entire car.... not heavily, looks like dusty lighlty sand in air covered almost... So sickening.... i'm sure glad my 4 pieces of wooden trim to frame a mirror are primed (one coat of white paint by can) to hand paint once hung.... Jesus........ thought i was saving time with the trim....
Old 06-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #14
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
I know how you fill. Had my driveway sealed by a guy and I left the garage doors open. Well guess what black overspray all over my camaro, my wifes GT 500, and my Toyota Sequia.
Took a tiny tiny bit of gas on a rack and it came right off. Then washed the car with Adams Car Wash soap. Used the Adams Clay Bar next then the Adams Butter Cream wax. Shines like new...
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote