Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #365
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM ZL1 View Post
First of all, I'm sorry to all of my fellow Camaro5 members for not being more prompt on my responses and updates. As can be expected, this process takes awhile to sort itself out, and frankly, I thought a lot of drama was being stirred up.

GM pulled the crash data, passed it onto claims, and finally GM Legal. In the end, they found insufficient evidence to definitively confirm an EPAS failure; however, they highly contributed towards my purchase of the previously ordered replacement 2013, most likely due to the extensive list of issues the 2012 had already displayed.

I'm thankful for those of you who took your ZL1's in and prevented future problems from occurring. I'm glad some individuals benefitted from my venting, and that I didn't just come across as paranoid or annoying.

Again, I apologize for not being more involved in the forum. The conclusion of 2012 was not easy. The number of personal tragedies and a hectic work schedule tends to shift your priorities.

I did get about a months use out of the 2013 before having to put it into storage for the winter and thankfully, it has lived up to the high standard I had for the 2012 that never came to fruition.

I will always be concerned with any thought of a knock, drip, and creak, and if anything ever shows its' face with the 2013, this forum will be the first place I come. Thank you all for your feedback, concern, and continued support.
Thanks for the update CAM! I hope the new 2013 continues to be problem free and I am glad to hear you are doing well after everything you have been through.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #366
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
I did get about a months use out of the 2013 before having to put it into storage for the winter and thankfully, it has lived up to the high standard I had for the 2012 that never came to fruition.

I will always be concerned with any thought of a knock, drip, and creak, and if anything ever shows its' face with the 2013, this forum will be the first place I come. Thank you all for your feedback, concern, and continued support.
Don't be a stranger when it comes to the good times you'll have with your new car. We'll be here for those, too.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #367
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Actually, that nutshell needs to be a bit bigger than you think, depending on whether Chevy has tacked any extra features onto the basic force assist function (like Ford has with their versions of EPAS). These features (drift-pull compensation and active nibble control to mention two that I know a tiny bit about) allow the EPAS unit to introduce small amounts of steering separate from what the driver intends or has any control over.

I'm not trying to claim that Chevy actually has done those specific things or possibly others in the Camaro or even elsewhere in their model lineup, only pointing out that with EPAS the potential for doing so is there. I'd be really happy to find out for sure that Chevy DIDN'T add those things.

Norm
There are a lot of things you can do with EPS that weren't possible with HPS. You bring up some of them. You can actually correct for pulls, vibrations and a lot of other steering issues with EPS calibrations. I don't know if the 2013 Camaros have any of that or not. But the ability to do that lies in the adjustments you can make with the electronic assist. In short, if the EPS fails, you lose these features and simply have manual steering.

On a side note, I've notice on my Audi S4 that the steering feel gets very "vague" at times. Friday after work I started the car and had no power steering assist and the light in the dash was illuminated. Turned it off and turned it back on and had full function again. The biggest concern I have with that is you expect your car to do 2 things for safety. Stop and Steer. If it doesn't go you don't really have to worry about those two. So no one should have to doubt their steering, even if it is just loss of assist.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #368
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
My EPS went out this morning. Car had been sitting for 3 weeks... fired the car up and no steering. Shut off and restared a few times, let it warm up w/ no help.

Came back 3 hrs later and everything was working fine. Headed to the dealer next week. Really makes you uneasy to have this type problem.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #369
Chevy69er

Drives: 2011 SLP ZL-585, 13' Silverado
As a GM lover im happy to see GM finally came through as they promised! Thanks for your update CAM. I hope your 2013 ZL exceeds your expectations and safely provides tens of thousands of trouble free 'spirited' miles!
Chevy69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #370
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
My EPS went out this morning. Car had been sitting for 3 weeks... fired the car up and no steering. Shut off and restared a few times, let it warm up w/ no help.

Came back 3 hrs later and everything was working fine. Headed to the dealer next week. Really makes you uneasy to have this type problem.
Wow that is scary to even think about let alone aging it happen. Hope it gets fixed ight and oesnt ever ome back.

OP gold everything finally got resolved. Sorry for your misfortune hope your new ZL1 is trouble free for a very long time!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #371
rzrbck_zl1

Drives: '13 ZL1 CRT #702; '05 Hemi Ram
Quote:
First of all, I'm sorry to all of my fellow Camaro5 members for not being more prompt on my responses and updates. As can be expected, this process takes awhile to sort itself out, and frankly, I thought a lot of drama was being stirred up.

GM pulled the crash data, passed it onto claims, and finally GM Legal. In the end, they found insufficient evidence to definitively confirm an EPAS failure; however, they highly contributed towards my purchase of the previously ordered replacement 2013, most likely due to the extensive list of issues the 2012 had already displayed.

I'm thankful for those of you who took your ZL1's in and prevented future problems from occurring. I'm glad some individuals benefitted from my venting, and that I didn't just come across as paranoid or annoying.

Again, I apologize for not being more involved in the forum. The conclusion of 2012 was not easy. The number of personal tragedies and a hectic work schedule tends to shift your priorities.

Thanks for the update, and best wishes for the new year.
rzrbck_zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #372
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
There are a lot of things you can do with EPS that weren't possible with HPS. You bring up some of them. You can actually correct for pulls, vibrations and a lot of other steering issues with EPS calibrations. I don't know if the 2013 Camaros have any of that or not. But the ability to do that lies in the adjustments you can make with the electronic assist. In short, if the EPS fails, you lose these features and simply have manual steering.
I don't want to hijack cam's thread any further than to comment that just because you can accomplish various other things with EPAS besides its power assist function does not mean that those things should be done, and particularly not in a performance car for which steering and suspension modifications could reasonably be anticipated. There have been significant issues involving one or more of these "add-ons" elsewhere (and over there it'll run you around $1k to fix something that shouldn't need fixing in the first place).

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #373
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
has anyone tracked if there is any differece between 2012 and 2013 cars with the EPS issue.

I remember reading that this could have been the reason for the quality hold but never saw any confirmation.

I know I read there was a service bullitin to but some dielectric grease in the connection. There was also a person that had a lose batter cable contributing to the issue.

So so far its seem connection issue, and voltage/current issues may contribute to the issue? seems weird that the car would start and run though and the steering have issue.

Seems like dealers are spooling up on this. So far I have been fine but been kind of waiting for it to crop up.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #374
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
has anyone tracked if there is any differece between 2012 and 2013 cars with the EPS issue.

I remember reading that this could have been the reason for the quality hold but never saw any confirmation.

I know I read there was a service bullitin to but some dielectric grease in the connection. There was also a person that had a lose batter cable contributing to the issue.

So so far its seem connection issue, and voltage/current issues may contribute to the issue? seems weird that the car would start and run though and the steering have issue.

Seems like dealers are spooling up on this. So far I have been fine but been kind of waiting for it to crop up.
Wish I knew what that bulletin number is. My dealer was clueless on the phone about this one. I'll check the bat cable before I drive it over there tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #375
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Wish I knew what that bulletin number is. My dealer was clueless on the phone about this one. I'll check the bat cable before I drive it over there tomorrow.
PM godsplumer as it was his car they performed it on I think
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #376
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
You can do a search on power steering failure or godsplumber and his ordeal will show up. I think in his case it was a loose battery cable in the engine compartment, but the info on checking the connector and the dielectric grease is also posted.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #377
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:

We apologize for the frustrations you may be experiencing. Please let us know how the visit to the service department goes.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 01-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #378
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
We apologize for the frustrations you may be experiencing. Please let us know how the visit to the service department goes.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Sure will and thanks. If you have a service bulletin number on this please let me know. They could not find one.

Tags
2012, issue, oil leak, pcv, pos, problem, zl1