Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 11-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
convertible guys that have had their tops replaced.. how long did dealer take?

My 2012 was brought in yesterday morning @ 7am for a top replacement.

The dealer outsources to a local upholstery/convertible top shop. I actually know the shop and had interior work done there on my 300c back in 2008

They do quality work so I wasn't too concerned..

However I just got the call that the top is done.... I was expecting and told 3-4 days, and this was 24 hours later..

update post #15

Last edited by Mr. iNCREDIBLE; 11-21-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Hey, that is great news. Please let us know how it turns out, with pics if possible.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
pocketcthulhu

Drives: 2014 2ss/RS 5th gen Camaro #2
for my 2011 I dropped it off middle of the day Tuesday and they had it back Thursday afternoon, they also used an outside shop.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
For a great installer it is a 1 day job.

Cycle the top several times and visually inspect when up and down before you accept it.

The front should be parallel to the top of the windshield. The rear should not touch any of the trim when down.

It should be tight when closing the latch. The arms may stick up a little until the fabric stretched out a bit.

good luck!
Old 11-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by not View Post
Hey, that is great news. Please let us know how it turns out, with pics if possible.

yeah I plan on posting up the experience.. need to have records for all the other guys out there with the top issues.

if it had not been for the posts here I would never have known about some of the issues (being this is my first drop top).

because of this forum I had my dealer document every rub mark every time I went in for service. As a result they finally said (after 14 months and 3 attempts to fix) yeah that's not right lets replace it.

------

I won't be able to get the car until tomorrow morning, dealer closes before I get out of work.. But I will post up..

just seems less than 24 hours is awful fast compared to what I have read here.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
For a great installer it is a 1 day job.

Cycle the top several times and visually inspect when up and down before you accept it.

The front should be parallel to the top of the windshield. The rear should not touch any of the trim when down.

It should be tight when closing the latch. The arms may stick up a little until the fabric stretched out a bit.

good luck!

thanks for the info, I will be inspecting it top to bottom, inside and out..
Old 11-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
pocketcthulhu

Drives: 2014 2ss/RS 5th gen Camaro #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
thanks for the info, I will be inspecting it top to bottom, inside and out..
I would highly recommend that, as they busted some stitching putting mine back together... I just haven't done anything about it yet.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
Twintitan

Drives: 2012 convertable camaro
I wish I was so lucky. I really hope yours turn out great!!!
Twintitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
One thing you may want to look into before your car is outsourced is the shop GM certified? If not, the dealer might be in breach of implied warranty. What they do is farm it out to shops and bill a certain rate, get the car back and submit the paperwork to GM for reimbursement then pocket the difference.
This is why we have seen so many different install issues. Some are fine, others are just horrible. Just a thought and you may want to ask the question if they are certified or not before they rip your car apart.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #10
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Well I am going through it now with a local top shop. The guy was supposed to be experienced with these tops but he doesn't know how to adjust it. Says there are no adjustments. I also noticed a gouge in one of the side panels that wasn't there before and he claims it was. I told the dealer yesterday I was through talking to this guy they can handle it. I also told him not to call me to pick it up until it was completely fixed. If I go and it's still not right I will be taking it to the next level.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #11
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
One thing you may want to look into before your car is outsourced is the shop GM certified? If not, the dealer might be in breach of implied warranty. What they do is farm it out to shops and bill a certain rate, get the car back and submit the paperwork to GM for reimbursement then pocket the difference.
This is why we have seen so many different install issues. Some are fine, others are just horrible. Just a thought and you may want to ask the question if they are certified or not before they rip your car apart.

a little late for that as the work is already done.

wish I would have thought about that yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Well I am going through it now with a local top shop. The guy was supposed to be experienced with these tops but he doesn't know how to adjust it. Says there are no adjustments. I also noticed a gouge in one of the side panels that wasn't there before and he claims it was. I told the dealer yesterday I was through talking to this guy they can handle it. I also told him not to call me to pick it up until it was completely fixed. If I go and it's still not right I will be taking it to the next level.

I haven't had to deal with the shop, it's all between the dealer and them, I am only dealing with the dealer.

however because of some of the things I read on here about issues like damaged panels, the Service Manager and I went over inch of the car yesterday morning and I took pictures of all interior and exterior panels, the trunk, the top up and down, the frame location when it is down and up, etc etc etc and gave (emailed) copies of all the pictures to the SA, we will be comparing the before and after pictures in the morning.

This dealer has always been good to me, it is why I have bought 9 cars from them in the past 25 years and why my friends and family have bought several from them as well, while they aren't perfect 100% of the time, they do go out of their way to correct any concerns I have had.

I have never walked away from the sales or service department feeling disappointed or let down.. They have always made it right IMO..
Old 11-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #12
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
I haven't had to deal with the shop, it's all between the dealer and them, I am only dealing with the dealer.

however because of some of the things I read on here about issues like damaged panels, the Service Manager and I went over inch of the car yesterday morning and I took pictures of all interior and exterior panels, the trunk, the top up and down, the frame location when it is down and up, etc etc etc and gave (emailed) copies of all the pictures to the SA, we will be comparing the before and after pictures in the morning.

This dealer has always been good to me, it is why I have bought 9 cars from them in the past 25 years and why my friends and family have bought several from them as well, while they aren't perfect 100% of the time, they do go out of their way to correct any concerns I have had.

I have never walked away from the sales or service department feeling disappointed or let down.. They have always made it right IMO..
The only reason I have even talked to the guy is because the shop is just a couple miles from my house where the dealer is all the way across town. It was just easier for me to drop it off myself.
Oh my dealer has always made it right, it's just they have nobody that knows anything about the tops so they are totally relying on what this guy is telling them.
I should know more in a day or two.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #13
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
The only reason I have even talked to the guy is because the shop is just a couple miles from my house where the dealer is all the way across town. It was just easier for me to drop it off myself.
Oh my dealer has always made it right, it's just they have nobody that knows anything about the tops so they are totally relying on what this guy is telling them.
I should know more in a day or two.
yeah I can understand your POV.

the dealer I use is over 50 miles away from me, I used to live in the city they are in.

even though there are at least 6 other GM dealers and 3 Chevy specific that I know of between here and there, I will always go to them for service.

the drive sucks, it's an hour down and an hour back, but they always give me a rental at no charge regardless of whether it is an oil change or warranty work, so I don't sweat the drive.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #14
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
The dealership replaced mine in their shop and it took a couple of days. I then had to take it back about 5 times so they could adjust it and get things just right. Now it is correct and I am very happy with the new 2013 top. It's much better than the old one.