Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #43
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
Can't comment on the MPG for the Camaro, but I can attest to the amazing job GM has done withOUT AFM. Cases in point: My '03 Z06 would get 31 MPG cruising on the highway in 6th gear. My '06 Z06 got 28 MPG, same scenario. A 7.0 liter, 505 HP motor getting that is amazing. Flip side - had a SLK55 AMG for a while, and paid a $1300 guzzler tax on it. It's 5.5 liter, 355 HP motor only got 18 MPG on the highway in 7th gear...
Look at the drag and weight of each vehicle, as well as the gearing. Also, the EPA always says 'your results may vary' . They have a certain set of conditions for the test. If you are cruising in top gear you will get better mileage than they advertise in the test.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #44
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
I am glad that I opted for the manual, but seriously I am very suprised that this is that much of a problem. We have afm on our 2008 tahoe ltz and it is great, MPG for trips is awesome and you NEVER notice it coming or going out of 4cyl mode. How could the same concept on two different vehicles be so drastically different. The 'Hoe is a tank and still has plenty of power for acceleration and towing, with 75 hp less than the camaro?
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #45
ORANGE U NV

Drives: The Wife Crazy
The Camaro L99 has plenty of power and maybe that's the problem w/ the AFM. The AFM is so aggressive that only if you are accelerating is it using all 8 cylinders. Maintaining your speed / mild accelerations along with coasting/stopping/idling it's basically a large displacement 4 clinder engine ( and sounds like it ) that has 3.1 liters in reserve when you need it.............but 85% of the time you don't really need that power. I guess I'm old school, I paid for a 6.2L and I want to use and hear all of the 6.2L, the entire time I'm driving, not just when I put my foot in it.
As for using the paddles for shifting....it gets old in town (which is where the AFM is most annoying) and try having a conversation with random little "clicks" mixed in.
At least it can be fixed, just not the option I wanted to do.

2010 2SS IOM/IOM L99 Black Rally Stripes, Polished Wheels, Loudmouth II, Rotofab CAI, IOM Heritage Grille,Tune by Jeremy Formato (Fasterproms Tuning).
ORANGE U NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #46
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
My AFM shuts off when in S mode (manual shifting).

I read the post about this so I tried it today. When cruising (6th gear), tap shift down to 5th gear and then back up to 6th. After that I have no AFM in manual mode as long as I leave it in manual mode/tap shift mode.

I not a big fan of manual mode (when going WOT the computer shifts the car a lot better/faster than I can), but it was great to driving to work without any AFM noises.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:52 AM   #47
ZombieEatsYou

Drives: "Bmblbee" 2010 RY 2SS/RS. VIN 12043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
I am glad that I opted for the manual, but seriously I am very suprised that this is that much of a problem. We have afm on our 2008 tahoe ltz and it is great, MPG for trips is awesome and you NEVER notice it coming or going out of 4cyl mode. How could the same concept on two different vehicles be so drastically different. The 'Hoe is a tank and still has plenty of power for acceleration and towing, with 75 hp less than the camaro?
It wasn't real noticeable (kudos to GM exhaust engineers), but with an aftermarket exhaust is was unlivable.
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:23 AM   #48
Darin Morgan
Reher Morrison Racing

Drives: Inferno Orange SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieEatsYou View Post
It wasn't real noticeable (kudos to GM exhaust engineers), but with an aftermarket exhaust is was unlivable.
Right on! The stock system killed the tone (and power) of the engine so bad, who the hell would want the damn thing! I bought a muscle car and I want it to sound the same as the muscle cars that came before it. With the resonators and multiple catalytic converters the car was silent. Once the after market long tube headers and large diameter exhaust where installed it broadcast the engines natural higher level sound and increased power by 25hp. It also broadcast the unbelievable DRONE of a flatulent fat man when the AFM came on!

I had to get rid of it.

P.S. The Mustangs sound MUCH better in stock form than either the L99 or LS3s.
2010 Camaro SS/RS IOM, 475rwhp 415ft/lbs Cam-232°/245° .612 .612 113LSA. Precision 3500 stall, New Era CAI. Reher Morrison Heads, Manifold and TB. Ferrea H-stems, dual springs, Ti-retainers. American Racing long tubes-Xpipe, High flow CATs, "S"type Borla's. 160F Thermo.
VVT ACTIVE! Thanks to New Era Performance!

Darin Morgan
-Induction R&D-EFI calibration
Reher-Morrison Racing Engines
http://www.rehermorrison.com/rmSale3.htm
Phone 817-467-7171
cell 682-559-0321

Last edited by Darin Morgan; 11-03-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Darin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:47 AM   #49
JoshJ81

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I thought it already had a similar minimum speed
Mine will kick in at 5mph, it doesn't matter what speed your at. It depends on RPM+TIME in RPM+Throttle position=AFM zones. Have AFM set to 55 mph and turned off completely with T/C off and in Comp Mode! Geez GM let us enjoy our exhaust upgrades!

K&N Air Intake System
Muffler Delete
JoshJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #50
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ject View Post
On a more serious note, In the end we could always just tune it to only be active when in Drive.
Most people don't want to void their warranty though...and even something as simple as tuining out the AFM will void your powertrain warranty per the GM bulletin about tunes...

As far as GM tuning it out...they might have to go back and revise mileage standards and if so...would the government require them to send all AFM owners a bill for additional gas guzzler taxes? Just a far-fetched idea...but we've seen stranger things happen with the government...
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #51
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Drives: 2010 SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSARME View Post
Doesn't going into M mode stop it? I've been seeing that since I started driving around in M mode my MPG have started to go down....
No. Only if you downshift and let it rev higher. I was actually the one that posted the discovery about highway cruising and downshifting to 5th then back to 6th. FOr whatever reason, the AFM will not kick back in until you slow down, shift gears more and speed up. The highway cruising is not the issue for me - it's the low RPM/low speed annoyance.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #52
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
I don't understand you guys. Granted when other than highway cruising, AFM is annoying as hell for all the reasons you've stated. But if you start in M, the first time you use a tapshift button to up shift or downshift from any gear at any speed, the AFM is defeated until you leave the M mode. The tranny will automatically go to 2nd when you come to a stop, but you will have to push a button to up shift all the time. What’s the problem with that? I mean, how removed from the driving experience do you want to be? I didn’t want to hassle with a clutch and gearshift, but pushing a button to shift actually makes driving a lot more fun. I can accelerate to a point, hit the tap and apply some throttle, and it sounds like I just shifted a manual....and all I had to do was push a fricking button....I love it! Maybe you should have bought the Yaris Pink threatened to buy but never did.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #53
SS-screamer

Drives: SIM RS/SS L99
The problems with tap shifting all of the time is as follows:

1. shifting and turning corners
2. I'm 6'3" and my knee has hit the shifting button when turning before.
3. Engine bogging when slowing down but then needing to accelerate.
4. Slowing down and downshifting to keep enging from bogging when about to start accelerating again only to have the car automatically downshift right as I do. This resulted in me going into 1st gear which threw me forward in the seat and inadverdently slamming on the gas and almost hitting the car in front of me.

Feel free to add to the list.
SS-screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #54
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Drives: 2010 SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrunner View Post
I don't understand you guys. Granted when other than highway cruising, AFM is annoying as hell for all the reasons you've stated. But if you start in M, the first time you use a tapshift button to up shift or downshift from any gear at any speed, the AFM is defeated until you leave the M mode. The tranny will automatically go to 2nd when you come to a stop, but you will have to push a button to up shift all the time. What’s the problem with that? I mean, how removed from the driving experience do you want to be? I didn’t want to hassle with a clutch and gearshift, but pushing a button to shift actually makes driving a lot more fun. I can accelerate to a point, hit the tap and apply some throttle, and it sounds like I just shifted a manual....and all I had to do was push a fricking button....I love it! Maybe you should have bought the Yaris Pink threatened to buy but never did.
You admit that it's annoying as Hell...Bottom line is that AFM should not behave the way it does. It is senseless.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #55
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-screamer View Post
The problems with tap shifting all of the time is as follows:

1. shifting and turning corners
2. I'm 6'3" and my knee has hit the shifting button when turning before.
3. Engine bogging when slowing down but then needing to accelerate.
4. Slowing down and downshifting to keep enging from bogging when about to start accelerating again only to have the car automatically downshift right as I do. This resulted in me going into 1st gear which threw me forward in the seat and inadverdently slamming on the gas and almost hitting the car in front of me.
Feel free to add to the list.
1. Granted, difficult to do with the steering wheel out of center position, so when that instance comes up I momentarily go to A and back to M, then after the turn hit a tapshift button and AFM is off again. Some effort, yes, but still less than a manual.
2. I'm 6'2"....never had that happen.
3. Yes, of course, that makes it very much like a manual, but easier to cope with than having to use a clutch pedel and gearshifter! sheech
4. Anticipate the need to downshift, like a manual, and no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
You admit that it's annoying as Hell...Bottom line is that AFM should not behave the way it does. It is senseless.
It can be annoying, but the annoyance is easily eliminated....oh yes, that damn button pushing still remains. Just messin' with ya, Tomato. Don't get me wrong, while I don't find AFM as bothersome as you and others, I'd love an AFM delete button! I don't think that would satisfy the EPA though.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #56
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I still don't understand the complaints, nor the logic behind an AFM "off" button......and I've read them all....

Aw well....:(