Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #43
Shift

Drives: Me 2001 F150, The wife '11 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
Not that I'm trying to attack you, but how exactly does not having the e-brake give you anymore grip?? Once your foot comes of the brake the car settles either on the gear you're in or on the e-brake. Once it's settled unless something fails it's not going to move. The only thing that's going to affect your grip is the condition of your tires.
The e brake will lock your tires into place, having it only in gear will not. There is a little play in tire rotation when only in gear and the car off. If your on a mild slope and the car doesn't want to sit still (strong wind or something) the wheels will slightly rotate before it breaks traction.

once you start sliding the softer snow behind the tire just gets pushed away, if it rolls slightly it compresses the snow and causes a more chocking type of effect keeping it from breaking loose and sliding.

Of coarse it can still slide away but its just an extra precaution.

If your on a smooth shear sheet of ice there is no hope, but if there is at least something that can act as a chock as tiny as it may be can hold a car from breaking traction.
Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #44
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
This E-brake is VERY tough.

Correct, I've pulled mine all the way up before and the car began to move while on a slope. Yes, you DO have to be STRONG to use the ebrake and in my honest opinion, think this is not very smart.

You should not have to be the worlds strongest man/woman just to pull your ebrake all the way up to prevent your car from rolling away.

Putting the car in gear alone (for a standard) is NOT going to help and is NOT safe. The car CAN still roll if on a hill. ....hasn't anyone here ever tried starting a car by popping the clutch before??? Roll the car down a hill with it in gear and clutch in, release the clutch, and the car will start. It's what you do when your battery dies.

Do not just leave it in gear.

To be 100% sure your car stays put, tug on that ebrake as hard as you can and put it in gear. You will be okay.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #45
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Mine doesn't hold my car either. I know what people say about leaving the car in gear, but a couple of times I just wanted to step out for a minute and let the car idle. If there is any incline, the car will roll. No matter how many clicks I go up on the ebrake.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #46
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
This E-brake is VERY tough.

Correct, I've pulled mine all the way up before and the car began to move while on a slope. Yes, you DO have to be STRONG to use the ebrake and in my honest opinion, think this is not very smart.

You should not have to be the worlds strongest man/woman just to pull your ebrake all the way up to prevent your car from rolling away.

Putting the car in gear alone (for a standard) is NOT going to help and is NOT safe. The car CAN still roll if on a hill. ....hasn't anyone here ever tried starting a car by popping the clutch before??? Roll the car down a hill with it in gear and clutch in, release the clutch, and the car will start. It's what you do when your battery dies.

Do not just leave it in gear.

To be 100% sure your car stays put, tug on that ebrake as hard as you can and put it in gear. You will be okay.
Thats the point, you should NOT have to pull that hard. Mine is properly adjusted and will hold the car without pulling up that much. (maybe 1 or 2 clicks tops)
Also, these things get pulled out of proper limits by the users pulling up too hard from day one. Get it adjusted so it works right, then dont pull up so hard you stretch the cable.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #47
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Same here. I gotta give my ebrake handle a hardcore pull to make it hold. I wish these cars had rear disk and drum. That setup works so much better. This is my first american performance car. I come from Toyota supra and mitusbishi 3KGT. I miss the turbo rush but after a year or 2 latin on this car hopefully ill be on E85 and a couple snails.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #48
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
1969 Firebird 400 4-speed

On my old 1969 Firebird, factory 4-speed, you COULD NOT get the key out of the keyhole on the steering column until you put the car in reverse.

After you put it in reverse, this would also lock the steering wheel. I think I never used the parking brake.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:55 AM   #49
rawj7
U.S. ARMY Aviation Mech

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS 6 Speed
Has Anyone taken theres in? What did the Dealer Service center did if so? I dont have time at the moment but in about two weeks I can take mine in and I'll post what they do to fix this.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:21 AM   #50
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
Strange, mine works well enough to stall the car in first gear if I forget to release it.

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:49 AM   #51
Pumpkin1LT

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
count me in the category of "THIS E-BRAKE SUCKS"...mine is also very "loose"...even when I yank it ALL THE WAY up.

A happy wife is one in the garage getting dirty under her 2010 Camaro!
Pumpkin1LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #52
Scrapppy666

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Operator error! You have to engage the foot brake while lifting up on the e-brake handle. Every car I've ever owned is like that.
This is incorrect, only applies to vehicles with rear drums which also act as the parking brake. The Camaro has internal parking brake shoes which are not affected when you apply the brake and pull the brake lever.

Pittsburgh Automotive Photography
Black on Black 2SS/RS w/ white stripes Dynomax 3" Bullet Catback, CAI Cold Air Intake
Scrapppy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #53
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Seems she exaggerated the damage.
I have the same problem with my wife. Anyway, no issues from any of us here. And the hill was much steeper than it looks. I'd check it out myself though.
Attached Images

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #54
usmc8411
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Operator error! You have to engage the foot brake while lifting up on the e-brake handle. Every car I've ever owned is like that.

That may help with rear drum brakes...because the hydraulic line pushes out the same shoes that the parking brake uses. But, with disc brakes...holding the foot brake does nothing for the parking brake. The parking brake on disc brake cars is actually a small drum brake that is completely seperate from the disc system.

Id bet 100% of the cars that you owned that were not drum brakes were not like that.
usmc8411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #55
SSN8R
Addicted to G's

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SSRS / 2002 Camaro SS NBM
I love how people from NM and TX are lecturing people from up north on when to use a p-brake. IF a car starts to move in the snow/ice it will not stop until it gets to level ground if the p-brake is locked. If it is not set the differential will allow one tire to move independently of the other and possibly regrab traction (as others have said). Similar to the way ABS works locked up brakes do not work well.

The car may not stop either way, but when parking on slight inclines in snow/ice (a practice preferably avoided), the odds are WAY higher it will stop without the p-brake set.

Also, you can double check with FBodFather but, I believe our cars have a P-Brake not an E-Brake (I know this for a fact on my 4th gen).

That is - it is only designed for parking. It is not designed for emergency stopping (IE donuts or 180s). If you try to use if from a roll it jumps like a automatic tranny jammed in park.

FWIW
SSN8R

Last edited by SSN8R; 09-30-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: grammar
SSN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #56
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Ive never had a problem. Ive been working out my right hand/forearm out since I was about 13 so its pretty strong now... Just tug it all the way up and you're good.