Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 11-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #29
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Looks cool but.....ouch!
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #30
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOULI306 View Post
Absolutely true! The convertible is made stronger on the underside. Ans my guess is that the sills are actually a part of the stiffness of the car.

As everybody is saying, it looks amazing but you could have more body twist because of this mod. And hopefully the stresspoints will not appear as cracks!
true the convertable is made stronger on the bottom side, but how does that help when the cars flipped over, anyway, being an aircraft mechanic and having to do many mods and mods to structures, i looked inside the area very well, orginally i was going to make the channel out of steel, but once i saw inside and saw that the braces went left and right in the door sill area, i did not think it was necessary, but it easy enough to keep an eye on. if anything changes i will mod as needed. thx for your input

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
Looks cool but.....ouch!
i love it.

Lupe
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #31
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by overhaulengines View Post
true the convertable is made stronger on the bottom side, but how does that help when the cars flipped over, anyway, being an aircraft mechanic and having to do many mods and mods to structures, i looked inside the area very well, orginally i was going to make the channel out of steel, but once i saw inside and saw that the braces went left and right in the door sill area, i did not think it was necessary, but it easy enough to keep an eye on. if anything changes i will mod as needed. thx for your input

i love it.

Lupe
I simply asking how it affected the integrity. I don't know if it does or doesn't. You've certainly examined the area more than I have.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #32
overhaulengines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
I simply asking how it affected the integrity. I don't know if it does or doesn't. You've certainly examined the area more than I have.
sorry bro, sometime it hard to tell when someone is asking a legit question or being sarcastic , my bad. like i posted above, i did look in the door sill channel and i could see the braces in front and to the rear of the cut. i dont think it will be a problem, i have modded aircraft with aluminum braces and had to make bigger holes and the motors on the aircraft make why more than 426HP, of course all the aircraft paper work is Faa/engineer approved mods
thanks for looking and posting.

lupe
Old 11-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #33
jeepguy_1980

Our aircraft have electroluminescent form lights, which are really thin strips of light. I think something like that would be pretty sweet too.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #34
overhaulengines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
Our aircraft have electroluminescent form lights, which are really thin strips of light. I think something like that would be pretty sweet too.
kool, what type of aircraft you work on? i mainly work on small general aviation, sm single and light twins, engine overhauls is what do, but we do mods while the aircraft is in for an engine overhaul.

could those light somehow fit under the plexiglass of someother clear material? thanks for the input.

Lupe
Old 11-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #35
jeepguy_1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by overhaulengines View Post
kool, what type of aircraft you work on? i mainly work on small general aviation, sm single and light twins, engine overhauls is what do, but we do mods while the aircraft is in for an engine overhaul.

could those light somehow fit under the plexiglass of someother clear material? thanks for the input.

Lupe
I don't work on them, so I don't know much about them. But they look very flat. I fly the MH-60S for the Navy. These strips are .5mm thick (1/64 of an inch).
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2010, 09:51 PM   #36
overhaulengines

that is way to cool, thanks for serving bro

lupe
Old 11-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #37
Jocoo26

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I have used something similar. If this works, no cutting in the sills will be necessary. I will post pics and feedback when completed.
Jocoo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #38
overhaulengines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocoo26 View Post
I have used something similar. If this works, no cutting in the sills will be necessary. I will post pics and feedback when completed.
kool, cant wait to see what you come up with. you know, it's emblem pro's that has lighted door sills and they look very nice, but they are flat looking. i know most dont like the idea of cutting into there car and i understand that. for me, since its what i do for a living, it doesnt bother me. but i love how you can look down into the door sill, its deep, i cant explain and i cant pick it up in a picture, but its cool to look into the door sill and see it lite up. thanks for looking and for your input,

lupe
Old 11-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #39
Jocoo26

What kind of adhesive did you use to reapply the chevrolet lettering to the plexiglass? Is it removeable if necessary? Im looking for whatever kind of adhesive GM used in the first place to adhere the lettering. Any info?
Old 11-20-2010, 09:10 AM   #40
overhaulengines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocoo26 View Post
What kind of adhesive did you use to reapply the chevrolet lettering to the plexiglass? Is it removeable if necessary? Im looking for whatever kind of adhesive GM used in the first place to adhere the lettering. Any info?
hello, i just used 3m spray adhesive. It's holding fine as of now 2-3 weeks later
Old 11-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #41
SSMOKINHOT
obseSSed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Very nice!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #42
Jocoo26

Just finished! No cutting! Check it out. Great Mod Lupe, thanks for the inspiration.
Attached Images