Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
bumblebee101
tired of FWD

Drives: 2000 Chevy Impala
Gm Releases 2008 Malibu pricing info!

You know this has got me thinking, if prices are this good for the Malibu, and all those creature comforts are coming out for it in base trim..I can only imagine how well optioned/priced the Camaro will be....

PRESS RELEASE
All-New 2008 Chevrolet Malibu Delivers A Lot Of Value Starting At $19,995

CHICAGO – Chevrolet today announced pricing for its all-new 2008 Malibu midsize sedan lineup, with MSRPs starting at $19,995 for the base LS and for the first time, a hybrid for $22,790. The Malibu continues to drive home Chevy's commitment to dependable, fun-to-drive cars packed with value.

"When we debuted Malibu at the North American International Auto show in January, we promised that its $40,000 looks would cost half as much," said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. "Well, we've kept our word. Customers will see everything we've packed into a sedan starting under $20 grand and think there's a typo on the sticker."

Malibu is built to be the best midsize car in the market, having been benchmarked against the top names in the class and loaded with standard features that many competitors don't offer at any price. The design team focused on the attributes that mattered most to midsize car buyers such as families and commuters.

All Malibus are equipped with a long list of standard features, including six air bags (dual-stage frontal, seat-mounted side-impact thorax and head-curtain side air bags); four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes with all-speed traction control; OnStar Gen 7 safety and security system with Turn-by-Turn Navigation; air conditioning; and XM Satellite Radio.

Along with the LS and Hybrid, the Malibu lineup includes the 1LT and 2LT trim levels and the top-of-the-line LTZ. MSRP for the 1LT is $20,955; 2LT, $22,635 and the LTZ, $26,995. All include the $650 destination charge.

Malibu , arriving in dealerships in November, combines fuel efficiency, performance and a long list of standard amenities wrapped in a design that carries the new face of Chevrolet. It features a strong body structure, precise build quality and refined driving dynamics. It is more than three inches longer than its predecessor, with a six-inch-longer (112.3 in / 2,852 mm) wheelbase.

GM's StabiliTrak electronic stability control system is standard on LT, LTZ and Hybrid models. A number of equipment packages also are available and include features such as power-adjustable pedals, premium seating, uplevel interiors; power equipment groups and a deluxe audio system.

Malibu performance comes from two powerful yet fuel-efficient dual-overhead cam four- and six-cylinder engines, including a standard 169-horsepower (126 kW) 2.4L Ecotec DOHC four-cylinder engine that delivers 30 mpg highway, 22 city ('08 EPA); and an available 252-horsepower (188 kW) 3.6L DOHC V-6 with variable valve timing, rated at 26 mpg highway and 17 city.

The Malibu Hybrid, featuring the affordable GM Hybrid System, also goes on sale in November. Powered by a hybrid version of the 2.4L Ecotec, it is rated at 32 mpg highway and 24 city.

Four-cylinder-equipped models come with a four-speed transmission with overdrive. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard with the 3.6L V-6 and will be available next spring on the four-cylinder-equipped LTZ – the first four-cylinder engine/six-speed transmission combination in the segment.

Other highlights of the redesigned 2008 Chevy Malibu include:

* All-new refined and contemporary exterior with a new grille design and heritage-inspired twin round taillamps
* Upscale interior design with a choice of cloth, suede and leather inside; available two-tone cockpit in a number of color combinations; gauges with Chevrolet blue LED backlighting
* Ambient lighting in areas such as the overhead console and door-pull pockets for a more inviting cabin
* Standard four-wheel independent suspension for a more controlled and confident driving experience
* One of the segment's quietest, most refined driving experiences, thanks to noise-reducing materials such as a liquid spray-on sound deadener, laminated steel, laminated "quiet glass" and composite wheel liners
* Standard theft-deterrent system for vehicle and contents
* Remote vehicle starting (standard on 2LT and LTZ; available on 1LT) and standard universal home remote on 2LT and LTZ
* TAPshift manual shift control, available on 2LT and standard on LTZ
* Sixteen-inch standard wheels on LS and an available family of large wheels, including 18-inch ultra-bright aluminum polished wheels available on 2LT and standard on LTZ
* Available rear power center includes 110-volt AC adapter with three-prong outlet on 1LT, 2LT and LTZ (included and available only with Rear Power Package)
* Available sunroof on LT and LTZ models
* Premium eight-speaker, 210-watt sound system standard on LTZ and available on 2LT.
* Standard tire-pressure monitoring system

"We strive to offer the best value in every segment where we compete, and midsize cars are not different," Peper said. "For example, the Chevy Impala has been one of the biggest success stories in this industry during the past two years, gaining more than two points of market share. Now, combined with Malibu, this gives us a solid one-two punch in midsize cars and puts Chevy back into the car game in a big way."

The Malibu is built at the GM Fairfax Assembly Plant in Kansas City, Kan. The dependability of the 2008 Malibu is backed by GM's five-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty, the best protection package in the industry, providing customers with added peace of mind and value during their ownership experience.
bumblebee101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
Kimosen
Insider Informant

Drives: 2003 Sunfire
I can't help but chuckle a little bit at this, because I just went through the IDL for this info.
Kimosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Very nice find. 19,000 huh? With all that crap in there, too? I can't wait for it to come out onto the streets, it's got a very Japanese-rivaling design. Go GM!!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:58 PM   #4
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
Seems nicely priced. can't be any uglier than the ford taurus!

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:13 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham

Have you seen the new one? to replace the Fusion (So I heard)...it looks like a rounded Fusion... uh - where's the originality, Ford?

Also, Check out Chevrolet.com > Upcoming Vehicles > 2008 Malibu.

They've got a neat new tutorial...

Last edited by Mr. Wyndham; 08-31-2007 at 12:15 AM.
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:34 AM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
That is awesome news! Go GM is right! GM is going to reap in the rewards w/ these two (Impala and Malibu)!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I believe in addition to the new Camaro, GM has another winner on it's hand's with the new Malibu.

I was able to see the new Malibu up close at the Auto Show in Phila. this year, and it is very impressive. If I were in the market for a 4 door sedan, it would be at the top of my list.

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:12 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham

I know I'm beating this in...I'm not trying too, though - I swear. If you go to the site on chevy.com...it shows 4 interior choices. I can say that I've never seen this sort of versatility in an interior before. EVERYTHING can change color...
Old 08-31-2007, 02:24 PM   #9
Kimosen
Insider Informant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I know I'm beating this in...I'm not trying too, though - I swear. If you go to the site on chevy.com...it shows 4 interior choices. I can say that I've never seen this sort of versatility in an interior before. EVERYTHING can change color...
Actually, there are a couple more interior choices; the website doesn't even show the two suede choices that are featured on the 2LT trim package (one step below fully loaded)

The thing that really impressed me is that the Malibu 1LT, which retails for $21K, compares feature-wise (feature-for-feature) to a $23,700 Camry. That $2,700 price difference is going to be difficult to ignore (or at least I sure hope so). Not to mention the 1LT Hybrid, which goes for $22,500, which doesn't include the $1,500 tax credit you get for buying it.

Sorry if I'm rambling. I know I work at a dealership, but I'm etremely excited for this car. I'm thinking about getting one myself!
Old 08-31-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham

It's good that your excited. You can relate to the customers, and point all these things out to them - sell more cars for GM

Has anybody noticed, that GM (Lutz, Peper) have said it should be around 20,000? Low and behold, it's under 20,000(but still within $5)

Now, has anybody noticed that they've often said (on the side usually) that the Camaro should be around 20,000-21,000...hopefully they'll continue this trend.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:43 PM   #11
Kimosen
Insider Informant

Quote:
Has anybody noticed, that GM (Lutz, Peper) have said it should be around 20,000? Low and behold, it's under 20,000(but still within $5)
Oh, but wait, the $19,995 doesn't include floor mats.

I don't know about you, but I like floor mats.

Another (oh... but wait) victory for GM!

Nevertheless, it's still and amazing car at an amazing price.

And hey, I may not get information before any of you guys, but I still get to drive it before any of you. (ride and drive launch events rule).

That means I get to drive the Camaro before you guys, too.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:38 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham

Are you serious? There really aren't any floormats? :eek: *drops jaw in astoundment*
Old 08-31-2007, 04:53 PM   #13
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Are you serious? There really aren't any floormats? :eek: *drops jaw in astoundment*
Lots of cars don't come with floormats standard anymore...
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:58 PM   #14
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I believe in addition to the new Camaro, GM has another winner on it's hand's with the new Malibu.

I was able to see the new Malibu up close at the Auto Show in Phila. this year, and it is very impressive. If I were in the market for a 4 door sedan, it would be at the top of my list.
I thought it was a really good looking vehicle when we saw it at the Philly show too.

Here's a couple pics I snapped of it-

EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote