Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-01-2016, 08:47 PM   #1
Matt8892

Drives: 2010 2ss RS. White (RIP) 2012 LS3
Footwell lighting I know it's been done to death. But.

I've literally read every single thread I coukd find on it today. And read mention of this, but nothing to definitive.

Has anyone hooked up their lights to the cigarette lighter. Meaning, tapping into the hot wire of the cigarette outlet. That way, the footwell lighting only comes on when the car is running and goes out automatically when the car shuts off. Then no messing with switches or anything. This is really the route I wanna go with it. Any advice on which wire to tap into.

I've also heard mention of fuse 17 in the drive side fuse box. And that it switched power as well. So I coukd achieve the same exact results as tapping into the cigarette lighter wire.

Any thoughts on this guy's?

Also, in case anyone was wondering, I footwell lighting hook up now with a switch. and it's on off whether the car is running or not. And right after hooking it all up I went away for a week and left the footwell lighting on. And the car didn't die!
Matt8892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:25 PM   #2
eankar

Drives: 2015 1lt
Just tap into the yellow wire coming from the traction control switch. The lights will turn on when it is dark out and go off when it's not automatically. If you want them to come on when it is not dark out you can turn them on by turning the parking lights or head lights on. And you can also control the brightness with the dimmer switch that controls all of the other dash and switch lighting.
eankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:35 PM   #3
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I did something else but for the life of me I cant remember where I made the connection. They come on when the door is opened and off when its closed. They are connected to the interior lighting circuit so can be manually turned on with the interior light dimmer switch. Hmmmm. Where is that wire?

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:39 PM   #4
eankar

Quote:
Originally Posted by patternpilot View Post
I did something else but for the life of me I cant remember where I made the connection. They come on when the door is opened and off when its closed. They are connected to the interior lighting circuit so can be manually turned on with the interior light dimmer switch. Hmmmm. Where is that wire?
Sounds like you used the gray wire by the brake pedal, but it sounds like he wants his lights on when the car is being driven so that would not be a good option.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:27 AM   #5
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I did exactly what you're referencing.

I bought THIS kit off amazon, and it comes with fuse taps/fuses. I just tapped into the fuse for the cig lighter (probably 17, can't recall off the top of my head) and it functions as you're wanting it to.

The LED controller is tucked away in that nook, wires are all ran behind/under the dash, and it comes on with the vehicle either 'on' or 'accessory' When I turn it off, lights go off.

It also has it's own remote, so you can change colors/dim/brigten/turn off with the remote while the vehicle is on if you're heading down the road and don't want them on. A little piece of velcro on the back of the remote, and the opposing piece on the map pocket in the drivers side door makes easy storage/access for the remote, and it's not sliding around inside the center console.

Hit me up if you have any questions, or want pics... It's a REALLY simple install. Literally took me more time to figure out light placement and wire routing than it did to actually do the work. Total time was probably an hr and a half? Maybe 2 hrs including 2 beers?

You could also wire this directly into the cig lighter wiring, but it's a much cleaner/easier install to use the supplied fuse tap.
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:33 AM   #6
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I connected mine to the gray wire. Only come on when the door is opened or I can turn them
on while driving with the dome light switch. Best of both worlds imo.
Attached Images

myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:12 AM   #7
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt8892 View Post
I've literally read every single thread I coukd find on it today. And read mention of this, but nothing to definitive.

Has anyone hooked up their lights to the cigarette lighter. Meaning, tapping into the hot wire of the cigarette outlet. That way, the footwell lighting only comes on when the car is running and goes out automatically when the car shuts off. Then no messing with switches or anything. This is really the route I wanna go with it. Any advice on which wire to tap into.

I've also heard mention of fuse 17 in the drive side fuse box. And that it switched power as well. So I coukd achieve the same exact results as tapping into the cigarette lighter wire.

Any thoughts on this guy's?

Also, in case anyone was wondering, I footwell lighting hook up now with a switch. and it's on off whether the car is running or not. And right after hooking it all up I went away for a week and left the footwell lighting on. And the car didn't die!
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227120
Old 02-02-2016, 09:09 AM   #8
Matt8892

Quote:
Originally Posted by eankar View Post
Just tap into the yellow wire coming from the traction control switch. The lights will turn on when it is dark out and go off when it's not automatically. If you want them to come on when it is not dark out you can turn them on by turning the parking lights or head lights on. And you can also control the brightness with the dimmer switch that controls all of the other dash and switch lighting.
This sounds perfect. So you're saying to just tap into the traction control button wire (yellow wire) that is just to the left of the cigarette lighter outlet?
Old 02-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #9
Matt8892

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemuscle View Post
Mines a late 2010. So according to that thread and vin number, I won't have the plug.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #10
Coop1701

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
I tapped in to the Dome Light. I did that because I only wanted lighting when the doors were open. Works well and the kit I got off of Amazon was only like 42 bucks.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #11
Matt8892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop1701 View Post
I tapped in to the Dome Light. I did that because I only wanted lighting when the doors were open. Works well and the kit I got off of Amazon was only like 42 bucks.
I want them on while driving. Without needing to flip a switch or hit a button
Old 02-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #12
eankar

Quote:
This sounds perfect. So you're saying to just tap into the traction control button wire (yellow wire) that is just to the left of the cigarette lighter outlet?
That's the one
Old 02-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #13
Matt8892

Quote:
Originally Posted by eankar View Post
That's the one
So basically tap the led wires directly into the traction control wire and it all works as you described? No adding fuses or anything?
Old 02-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #14
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
This is the exact approach the Camaro OEM LED Cupholder/Footwell lighting option uses. I bought the option kit box brand new unopened that was in the trunk of a Camaro in a wrecking yard. The OEM kit has a connector that attaches to the back of the power port that is inside the armrest and this provides power to the cup holder LEDs and the footwell lights. Bought that kit for about $75 and installed it myself. Normal option price is $500 when buying the Camaro new (and is dealer installed once the car arrives). Lighting in the kit is fairly subtle -- 2 levels of blue, 2 levels of red, or alternates between all 4 settings automatically. Remembers what setting it was set to last, for the next time the car is started.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote