Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
LYCAN
Tattooed K9

Drives: E63AMG
Camaro SS Spare Tire Options For Those Who Don't Know

I know there has been many seperate threads about this, but I want to pass along my wisdom for future questions about this.

What's the deal with the spare? If you have just bought a Camaro SS and looked in the truck you will notice that it doesn't come with a spare tire. It comes with an all-in-one air compressor and fix-a-flat setup secured in a foam disk under the trunk hatch. The SS model does not come from the dealership with a spare tire due to the size of the Brembo brakes it is equiped with. It's an offset issue between the standard GM supplied spare and the size of the brake calipers. However, the other Camaro models do come with one. Since they don't have the larger Brembo brakes they are not hindered from using the spare. So if you have a 1SS or 2SS model don't bother trying to fit a standard spare on it. It will not fit. Many parts departments at Chevy dealerships don't know this, or an not 100% informed on this. So, if you ask them they might not be able to give you a straight answer. I did and they were very vague and puzzled about it. So, now we have cleared this up...if you have a 1SS or 2SS car, the standard GM supplied spare tire will not fit. However, don't despair because their are some options. Tires do go flat, so don't hide your head in the sand and say, "ohhh it'll never happen to me." Knock on wood.

Options: Yes, there is a vendor, Joe, on Ebay who sells a spare tire kit for the Camaro SS that uses a special spacer that will clear the brakes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Spare...Q5fAccessories

Your other choice is to carry a lightweight full-sized 20" wheel running a 245 tire from say Tire Rack. There are some lightweight wheels and cheap tires that you can get under $500. However, you will loose 1/2 of your trunk. But for long trips, this isn't a bad idea. Use your back seats for luggage if you must, but throw a spare back there and secure it. In the event of an accident you do NOT want a spare tire flying forward and hitting you. Please secure it for your own safety. There are a number of ways that you can strap one down in the trunk section. You just have to be a little creative.

Why have a spare? Not having one in my opinion is just dumb. You cannot rely upon OnStar or AAA for save your butt if your tire goes flat. All they will do is send a flat-bed truck to get you and drop the car off at a dealership. Not all dealerships even stock our tires !!! Yep...I found two of them in the DC are that have to order them. That means you will have to grab a hotel room or rent a car and wait for the new tire. The can of fix-a-flat and the air compressor is a noble gesture, but it might not always work, and it's useles for any damage to the sidewall or any damage to the tire larger than a nail.

Summary: The smart thing would be to buy this spare kit or get a cheap 20" setup from Rudy at Tire Rack. If you drive local, then no sweat, but for out-of-town or vacation trips...carry a spare.
Prior Project Cars: 96 WS6, 96 Steeda Cobra, 93/74/99/01ZO6 Vettes, Supra Turbo, and BMW M3.

Last edited by LYCAN; 01-28-2011 at 11:35 AM.
LYCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
ZLcamaro

Drives: SLP ZL
John, Thank you for providing the info on the spare tire options, and the link to a possible solution (even though "JOE" doesnt have any currently listed).
BTW, my '11 not only doesnt have a spare, the battery is mounted in the MIDDLE of the spare hole, not on the side. Is that normal? Thanks, jim
ZLcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
FEN

Drives: BLACK 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLcamaro View Post
John, Thank you for providing the info on the spare tire options, and the link to a possible solution (even though "JOE" doesnt have any currently listed).
BTW, my '11 not only doesnt have a spare, the battery is mounted in the MIDDLE of the spare hole, not on the side. Is that normal? Thanks, jim
Spare goes on top of battery
See pics in post #24
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141121
Eibach 1" Pro Spring Kit
Factory GFX
MPD1 spoiler
painted bowties
15% tint
FEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYCAN View Post

You cannot rely upon OnStar or AAA for save your butt if your tire goes flat. All they will do is send a flat-bed truck to get you and drop the car off at a dealership.
Plus if your out in the hills somewhere and can't get cell coverage, OnStar won't work anyway...

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
jmart53

Drives: 2012 Cruze LTZ RS
anyone know how the air compressor and tire sealent works and holds up? is it a proven product or a "feel safe" kit?
Old 05-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
On trips I'm planning on putting an extra SS front tire/wheel I have in the trunk for a spare. As LYNCAN said, A donut spare or the inflate kit only gets you to a dealer or tire store which may not stock a replacement tire anyway.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
LaSS2Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2 SW and IOM Stripes
They could have still given us a tire tool and jack.
LaSS2Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:53 AM   #8
musclecarsfan
Loves Big Block Power

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Does this kit work on the rear of the car?
Old 06-01-2011, 06:57 AM   #9
Cheshirelaugh

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg_98ta View Post
Plus if your out in the hills somewhere and can't get cell coverage, OnStar won't work anyway...
Onstar uses Satellite, also.
Built 5/15
Delivered 6/19
Picked-up 6/22
Cheshirelaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #10
n116ebo
n116

Drives: 2010 2SS YELLOW TRANSFORMER AUTO
I have the ebay guy spare tire setup. Fits nicely in the spare tire hole. Have not had to use yet and hope I never have to. Peace of mind! Peace of mind!! Peace of mind!!! Happy motoring.
n116ebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
bthomp01

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart53 View Post
anyone know how the air compressor and tire sealent works and holds up? is it a proven product or a "feel safe" kit?
I had to use it a while ago, came out of work and a nail had slow leaked me to a flat in the rear. It worked plenty fine... too good actually. It plugged the leak and I was able to get it from the garage at work to the closest tire shop where the guy could find absolutely no leak.

I ran on that for a few weeks with no leaking until the tire went out of round from the nail, which i still couldn't find. I had just been hit in that wheel a couple weeks earlier and the dealer was able to claim it as an additional repair... so new tire and new compressor for free \m/

However I'd definitely like to have a spare. From what I understand you have NO hopes of plugging a tire after you've put that fix a flat junk in it. After that your only hope is to rip the tire off, clean the hell out of the rim and then replace the tire.

Matte Black Bumblebee Stripes - Unpainted Heritage Grille - Blacked Out Bowties - Stainless Works S-Tube Catback - CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake
Whiteline Rear Cradle, Rear Differential, Front Radius Rod Bushings - BC Racing BR Coilovers - Installed by Whiteside Customs

bthomp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I have a full size spare in the trunk. It is secured using the steel loops provided for securing wheels on non SS/RS cars. See Owner's Manual.

Of course, I also have a scissor jack, wheel chocks and a lug wrench.

The trunk is pretty useless now.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #13
xxlbeerz

Drives: 2010 Black on Black
Why not just buy run flat tires if you're paranoid?
xxlbeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #14
loves2laugh29

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS
2SS Spare

I've seen several people say they've gotten their spare kit through Joe at ebay. The link John had listed is not active. How can I contact Joe in order to get a spare kit?
loves2laugh29 is offline   Reply With Quote