Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
arabiannight975

Drives: '10 Jeep Srt8, '12 Camry,'10 Accord
Anyone moved to JEEP srt8 (or driven one) to ZL-1 ?

Alright, so here it is!

I have a '10 Jeep SRT8 and as you all know its a beast! Respected by almost all cars cuz of its crazy launches thanks to the AWD.
Mine is stock, I love it!!!
I seriously love the shape of Camaros but in general I don't like the power of a SS. Cuz I have raced tons of them, mostly stock and they don't really show much power!!! So I don't like them much! ( no offense to anyone, they are great cars! )
Now comes in Zl1 and its just gorgeous ! and i love the power it produces!

what I wanna know is! If anyone has ever driven a Jeep SRT8 (not the new one its slower). The older one you might know that it launches pretty neat and powerfully cuz of the AWD. So after driving that and then launching ZL-1 does it feel any slower? Like I know alot of wheel spin happens so does it feel slower compared to the SRT?

I am asking Cuz I am planning on getting the ZL-1 As soon as it releases here by the end of next month for what the dealer told me 59,000 $ + !
So I might trade in my SRt for a Zl-1. If they have a Black on Black A5 with Nav.

I am kinda looking forward to seeing if the rumor about Challenger getting a 6.2L SuperCharged engine too! Cuz if they come out with a Challenger thats quicker in a line then a ZL-1. then I am going for it! Cuz I have always believed Challengers are the best looking of the three!!
arabiannight975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
The 6.2 won't be out for quite some time. I would say 2014 at the earliest. Stock for stock the ZL1 will smoke an SRT Jeep. If your use to driving the awd platform it will have a different feel for sure. For myself, I was never really impressed with the SRT8 Jeeps. I sold mine after only three months of ownership.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabiannight975 View Post
Cuz I have always believed Challengers are the best looking of the three!!
I don't see how, when compared, one can prefer the chubby black car on the left.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
lopoetve

Drives: 2001 Firebird Formula, 2011 Triumph
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverds View Post
I don't see how, when compared, one can prefer the chubby black car on the left.

I have to agree with the dude prior - the Challenger is a better looking car, imho. Of course, I ordered the ZL1, but the Dodge is gorgeous.
lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:

Comparing the two in that pic, the weight is very close. they are both Chubby. An SS is only 184Lbs less than an R/T. It's the HP difference that means the most. As far as the looks, I love the looks of both. The funny thing is that the Camaro looks bigger in that Pic.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
2010redcamaro

Drives: camaro jeep srt8 2010 gtr
i have a jeep srt8 and one of my buddies took me for a ride in his zl1 last weekend. The jeep is easier to launch so it will probably hit 60 before a zl1. because its awd 3.73 grearing and auto trans you cant really mess it up. so to answer the question when my buddy launched his zl1 i wasnt really impressed but when it got going it was moving
2010redcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Right now IMO the ZL1 is the better overall car but it cost more. if you really like the looks of the challenger that much better mod one.

when I see that pick above I just see two amazing looking cars. I could go day to day over which one I really like better.

wieght wise it is a wash and the 392 is capable of a similar 1/4 i am sure form a roll it would get smashed. The ZL1 also mods eaier IMO. 3k to 600whp.

handling wise though you will always being playing catch up in the challenger and if you ever did make it is good it would proabbaly ride horrible.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #8
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Comparing the two in that pic, the weight is very close. they are both Chubby. An SS is only 184Lbs less than an R/T. It's the HP difference that means the most. As far as the looks, I love the looks of both...
I realized after I posted that one cannot question aesthetics preference. There is no accounting for "taste". I too, like them both. Which is why I snapped the pic. The "aesthetics" banter is just entertainment.

Chubbiness wise, the reality is that the Challenger is 7 inches longer, 3 inches taller and equally as wide as the ZL1 by published specs. Clearly the Chubby Challenger takes up more space. However, there is irony in calling one or the other "Chubby" because the difference is agreeably, insignificant.

However, while not questioning anyones else's aesthetic preference (again), I humbly feel that the chopped roof, the more aerodynamically angled "C" pillars and rear window, as well as all the other aerodynamic treatments of the ZL1 lend to it looking more "fit" than the Challenger. It just looks more streamlined.

Quote:
The funny thing is that the Camaro looks bigger in that Pic.
A crop of each of the vehicles reveals the Challenger is 17 pixels longer and 13 pixels taller than the Camaro in that pic. I suspect the reason the Camaro looked bigger to you is because you zoomed in to admire it more closely .

All in good fun...
Old 09-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

A crop of each of the vehicles reveals the Challenger is 17 pixels longer and 13 pixels taller than the Camaro in that pic. I suspect the reason the Camaro looked bigger to you is because you zoomed in to admire it more closely .

All in good fun...
Lmfao
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
snapp32e

Drives: '81-Z28/'07-Tundra/'12-ZL1/'13-Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010redcamaro View Post
i have a jeep srt8 and one of my buddies took me for a ride in his zl1 last weekend. The jeep is easier to launch so it will probably hit 60 before a zl1. because its awd 3.73 grearing and auto trans you cant really mess it up. so to answer the question when my buddy launched his zl1 i wasnt really impressed but when it got going it was moving
I'd have to say your buddy hasn't learnt how to launch yet then. I don't know of an SRT8 Jeep that can go 0-60 in 3.8.
ZL1 #612
snapp32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
arabiannight975

Quote:
The 6.2 won't be out for quite some time. I would say 2014 at the earliest. Stock for stock the ZL1 will smoke an SRT Jeep. If your use to driving the awd platform it will have a different feel for sure. For myself, I was never really impressed with the SRT8 Jeeps. I sold mine after only three months of ownership.
Yes, seems like a late 2013 production. So I am looking towards the Zl-1 . But since in Saudi Arabia, what happens is you can not get a custom built car. A dealer will order 10 cars in each batch on random setting and they will be sold as it is. I am not too optimistic about finding a black on black A5 with nav.

Hmm Well probably difference of choices, but I absolutley love it. Though I hate its weight, if they were a little lighter then they are one crazy rides!
the AWD on the jeep with its 425 Hp makes up really nice launches and to be honest I have never seen a SUV that beautiful, I smoke cayynes all day long and range rovers. Its a bang for the buck car.

Quote:

No doubt ZL-1 Is a gorgeous car, but the car above you are comparing to is a R/T .

and I am pretty sure alot of people will agree with me that a challenger looks the most muscle of all. Yes performance wise its not as good as a ZL-1 but looks wise its just gorgeous. Stands out on the road!

[IMG][/IMG]

They both are beautiful in their own sense! ( So is a mustang but they are way too lets say repetitive . Like Porsche , lack of new designs.)
Old 09-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
arabiannight975

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
Right now IMO the ZL1 is the better overall car but it cost more. if you really like the looks of the challenger that much better mod one.

when I see that pick above I just see two amazing looking cars. I could go day to day over which one I really like better.

wieght wise it is a wash and the 392 is capable of a similar 1/4 i am sure form a roll it would get smashed. The ZL1 also mods eaier IMO. 3k to 600whp.

handling wise though you will always being playing catch up in the challenger and if you ever did make it is good it would proabbaly ride horrible.
Yes, Zl-1 is a better car I agree. And the bad thing about the Challengers ('11 -present) is that they can not be tuned or supercharged. So regardless of the money, it just isn't possible to take that car to its maximum.

So I guess ZL-1 over challenger anyday in performance plus Challenger is HUGE. Its really hard to turn it at high speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapp32e View Post
I'd have to say your buddy hasn't learnt how to launch yet then. I don't know of an SRT8 Jeep that can go 0-60 in 3.8.

I am not really sure, but Camaros get a lot of wheelspin and Jeep doesn't. As soon as you floor it , it gets going! Where as a camaro will spin alot and its hard to keep its back in a straight line. I will have to drive one to know if they can launch better. Yes after the launch it wil smoke the jeep srt8! cuz of the weight and power difference !
Old 09-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
2010redcamaro

Drives: camaro jeep srt8 2010 gtr
Quote:
a stock one no, a procharged one like mine will. 95% of zl1 owners arent going to launch there car to hit 60 in 3.8 seconds
2010redcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
arabiannight975

If I can get this jeep, then bring on any car in the world ! LOL
just look at it launch ! <3