Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want to see an automatic option for the ZL1?
Yes 1,312 66.30%
No 667 33.70%
Voters: 1979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #43
HopeRidesAlone

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
if i could afford it i would go for the manual more fun and you have full control but with how good the autos are now it be great to offer it seeing how in the ss they run faster 1/4 mils times
HopeRidesAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:58 AM   #44
Orbit Orange

Drives: '04 Pontiac GTO & '09 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Welcome to the site. Stick around for a while. In the mean time you can learn a ton about the car that could be taking the place of those question marks in your sig.
Thanks for the welcome. I've lurked for quite some time while being more active on some GTO and G8 sites. I would say that an auto ZL1 would be in ADDITION to the cars in my sig.

I have visions of buying a lightly used auto ZL1, swapping the pulley with a tune, doing a higher stall converter with some DR's or slicks and running some 10's down the quarter. It's good to dream.
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #45
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
YES. It totally includes the wife in the package. Otherwise, it's just excluding half the decision makers.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #46
GoodTimes

Drives: 1968 Camaro, 2002 Grand Am GT
Yes please!
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #47
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Well the decision here seems pretty clear. I'm not psychic and don't have any insider knowledge but I think you can bank on GM offering an automatic ZL1.

Think about this, how many Corvettes do you see driving around and how many GT500 Mustangs do you see driving around? The cost of a base C6 is pretty close to the cost of a GT500 but far more people buy Corvettes. I can only speak for Arizona but I see Corvettes daily...I can't remember the last time I saw a GT500 on the road. There are two reasons for that: the GT500 doesn't have a setup that makes it useable for daily driving and Ford doesn't offer an automatic. With the ZL1 GM has created a car that is easily usable for daily driving. If they offer it with an automatic then not only will they beat the GT500 performance wise but they will absolutely destroy it in sales numbers.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #48
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon View Post
Well the decision here seems pretty clear. I'm not psychic and don't have any insider knowledge but I think you can bank on GM offering an automatic ZL1.

Think about this, how many Corvettes do you see driving around and how many GT500 Mustangs do you see driving around? The cost of a base C6 is pretty close to the cost of a GT500 but far more people buy Corvettes. I can only speak for Arizona but I see Corvettes daily...I can't remember the last time I saw a GT500 on the road. There are two reasons for that: the GT500 doesn't have a setup that makes it useable for daily driving and Ford doesn't offer an automatic. With the ZL1 GM has created a car that is easily usable for daily driving. If they offer it with an automatic then not only will they beat the GT500 performance wise but they will absolutely destroy it in sales numbers.
But this is the NEW GM.... remember....

And I'm not sure those numbers are accurately reflected. Though it's nearly 2 to 1 in favor of the auto, I think, OF THE PEOPLE WHO WOULD ACTUALLY BUY A ZL1, many of the auto guys would go with a manual if it were the only choice. They can drive one, they just prefer not to. Some it would be a deal breaker for, but so be it. Though I see better cars being made, as far as outward operation, I don't see much difference in method.

To get a more acurate idea of how an auto would sell, you'd need to poll people who would and could buy a ZL1. I'm in that category, but I already got my car and refuse to trade up. Mine is as fast and a few more dollars I can throw some more suspension on there. This thing won't sell as well as hoped.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #49
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro54 View Post
I have an automatic in my SS now. Not had one GT500 owner laugh yet as I have passed ALL their asses. I VOTE YES.
Putting your foot to the floor and keeping the wheel straight isn't exactly being 'involved'. Yeah, you're fast, but without having to apply the appropriate gear to the right situation removes a level of driver participation.

There's nothing wrong with that. But I need that involvement, or I may as well drive a Focus and save $25K for women and booze.

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #50
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
But this is the NEW GM.... remember....

And I'm not sure those numbers are accurately reflected. Though it's nearly 2 to 1 in favor of the auto, I think, OF THE PEOPLE WHO WOULD ACTUALLY BUY A ZL1, many of the auto guys would go with a manual if it were the only choice. They can drive one, they just prefer not to. Some it would be a deal breaker for, but so be it. Though I see better cars being made, as far as outward operation, I don't see much difference in method.

To get a more acurate idea of how an auto would sell, you'd need to poll people who would and could buy a ZL1. I'm in that category, but I already got my car and refuse to trade up. Mine is as fast and a few more dollars I can throw some more suspension on there. This thing won't sell as well as hoped.
Seems like you don't have a lot of faith in the new GM. The new GM wants to sell cars and in order to sell the most vehicles they need to offer an automatic transmission. Once again I reference the number of Corvettes on the road vs. the number of GT500 Mustangs. If they price this car right and offer an automatic transmission I can see this being a huge success as far as sales. You have to realize that offering a manual only car eliminates a huge segment of potential buyers. If you read through the responses on here you will find that many of those who have voted yes have said that they will purchase the car if an automatic is offered (I am one of them).

Of course this car will not sell the same numbers as the lower end models but you have to judge it's success on it's own. I believe whole heartedly that (especially if offered with an automatic transmission) this car will outsell the GT500 by a significant margin. In my opinion the most interesting stat will be if it can sell more than the base model C6 Corvette.

Oh and btw...in the words of fbodfather...you should "have faith"

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #51
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 SS's View Post
If my wife could drive it....it'll be an easier sell,yes on the Auto.
i really don't care though but i have a feeling that a lot of the people screaming about wanting an automatic are doing it for the above reason lololol, i think that's hysterical, maybe cause i'm not married. lololol

i personally would want to see the car be kept in just a manual version. i feel like it adds to the persona of the car.
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #52
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon View Post
Seems like you don't have a lot of faith in the new GM. The new GM wants to sell cars and in order to sell the most vehicles they need to offer an automatic transmission. Oh and btw...in the words of fbodfather...you should "have faith"
Well, selfishly, I gotta say, I already have my car so it's not gonna change my life if GM doesn't sell that many ZL1s.

It's not that I dont' have faith in the new GM. It's just that I see them not offering the auto tranny and I see more autos being sold in the SS and so I wonder whta the heck their thinking is.

Now, in all fairness, I have noticed and said myself that most of the stock time slips in the top ten are LS3s and that's because 80% of the cars AT THE DRAG STRIP are LS3s. So maybe GM is thinking in this fasion. But I still say think they's sell more autos.

Last edited by PQ; 02-11-2011 at 05:53 PM.
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #53
SpeedDemon21

Drives: 69' Z/28 Camaro Black on Red
I don't how to vote. I like manual trans, but the automatic will help probaly sell more cars. I want to see these sell faster then the gt500. On the other hand,it is kinda setting a stanard.
SpeedDemon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #54
FastEddie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 IOM LS3 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
i personally would want to see the car be kept in just a manual version. i feel like it adds to the persona of the car.
^ +1
FastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #55
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
dont wanna get too off topic but i

just wondering here. who cares if this car sells more then the GT???

seriously?!?!
do you people work for GM? Do you guys own that much stock in the company?

it looks like GM has built a beast of a car. this version of the car looks bad ass. Hopefully they don't do what most car companies do, which is to end up offering a watered down version of the concept as a production model !! that's what you guys should be worried about, not worried about outselling the damn mustang !!

WHO CARES !! Are you guys gonna pull up to cruise nights with Tshirts that say "We outsold the GT !!"

come on !!
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #56
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
Real men drive stic lol