Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
LMR Intake concerns, with pic

With all the concerns about the LMR intake shield not fitting properly, I thought I'd post a pic.
Here's a pic of the shield before I finished the install. As you can see the shield fits really good and matches the shape of the car well.

After I finished.

Last edited by SGOS252382; 08-14-2009 at 05:27 PM.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
thecamaroguy

Drives: 2020 ZLE 67 SS350
You will be very happy with your LMR CAI.

Wait until you hear the change in the sound of your car!
thecamaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
With all the concerns about the LMR intake shield not fitting properly, I thought I'd post a pic.
Here's a pic of the shield before I finished the install. As you can see the shield fits really good and matches the shape of the car well.
That actually looks pretty good...if that's exactly how you received it then they must have changed the template since I receive mine as the cut on mine was clearly different.

Keep an eye were it contacts the paint for rubs. The dealer also pointed out to me today that the upper edge of the piece was creating an indentation in the pad on the hood.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
SGOS252382

Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
That actually looks pretty good...if that's exactly how you received it then they must have changed the template since I receive mine as the cut on mine was clearly different.

Keep an eye were it contacts the paint for rubs. The dealer also pointed out to me today that the upper edge of the piece was creating an indentation in the pad on the hood.

Yes, that's how it arrived. No changes were made.

Actually, most of it doesn't even make contact. It looks like it does, but its just away from touching the car. There's really only 3 main contact points on that one side. The very bottom, the spot where it attaches with the nut, and at the very top end where it butts up against the side of the car.

I don't see rubbing being an issue at all.

You obviously got a pre-production model before they finished making changes. Why?
Old 08-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
I agree. Over time, as the shield vibrates or from periodic handling, the edges that are in contact with the paint will rub and quite possible mar the paint.

If mine, I would get some small vacuum line tubing, preferable the cloth-braided type like those used on classic VW Beetles as they are more plyable/flexible, and measure it to the length of the edge, cut a slit in the middle of the entire length of the vacuum line and attach it to the bottom edge of the shield. The vacuum line will act as a cushion/seal to protect the paint.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
and then the vacuum line, will rub the paint.

put a strip of paint protection film along the area in question.
should only cost pennies.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot ss View Post
and then the vacuum line, will rub the paint.

put a strip of paint protection film along the area in question.
should only cost pennies.
I agree if you use the fancy steel braided ones, will definitely rub paint off. I recommended a cloth-braided vac line. I have had a lot of cars, lots of older cars that have vacuum lines resting against painted parts of the engine bay and never had any issue.
Hmmm..I like your idea of some type of film to put on there.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
When your spending around $400 for a CAI you shouldn't have to do anything.

As of now the LMR CAI is my #2 choice. ADM's is #1 in my book at the moment. However I'm still 6 mths away from getting my hands on an SS and I'm sure there will be more options at that time. Not that we necessarily need more options.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
Yes, that's how it arrived. No changes were made.

Actually, most of it doesn't even make contact. It looks like it does, but its just away from touching the car. There's really only 3 main contact points on that one side. The very bottom, the spot where it attaches with the nut, and at the very top end where it butts up against the side of the car.

I don't see rubbing being an issue at all.

You obviously got a pre-production model before they finished making changes. Why?
Yeah...I don't know either...but I won't have it for much longer (it was a 'band-aid' so to speak anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post

As of now the LMR CAI is my #2 choice. ADM's is #1 in my book at the moment. However I'm still 6 mths away from getting my hands on an SS and I'm sure there will be more options at that time. Not that we necessarily need more options.
Unless you're 'dying' to get one(I was due to the work I had done), you might want to hold off for another month or so...pretty soon I think there's only going to be one clear option...but that's speculation on my part.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Old 08-15-2009, 07:12 AM   #10
SGOS252382

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post

No you shouldn't. I believe he was offered a new intake shield or some other deal, because LMR made a mistake by sending him a pre-production kit.

If you look at the pictures he posted in his thread, his intake shield isn't the same as mine.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #11
JJ2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I am always amazed how people can find the smallest thing to complain about......

The LMR CAI is one of the best CAI for the Camaro to date.....
JJ2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ2010 View Post
I am always amazed how people can find the smallest thing to complain about......

The LMR CAI is one of the best CAI for the Camaro to date.....
I'm sorry...but scratching paint down to the metal is not a 'small thing'. Everyone that has seen it in person has commented how ridiculous it is and how poorly the the piece is cut.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #13
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
No you shouldn't. I believe he was offered a new intake shield or some other deal, because LMR made a mistake by sending him a pre-production kit.

If you look at the pictures he posted in his thread, his intake shield isn't the same as mine.
Well...LMR wanted me to 'call' the shop...they have my contact info and have yet to ask for my address to send me a new piece.

I continue to sit waiting.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #14
SGOS252382

Quote:
Well...LMR wanted me to 'call' the shop...they have my contact info and have yet to ask for my address to send me a new piece.

I continue to sit waiting.

1. Call them
2. Tell them you were sent the wrong intake shield(as discussed on Camaro5)
3. Give them your address
4. New intake shield shows up at you door.