Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-21-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
TriGun

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS Ice Silver
This is how z28 should be

I think GM will do a big mistake if they supercharged the Z28. From what i see, a lot of people looking for not expensive, tunable and upgradable cars rather than expensive, pushed to the limit cars (no room fr cosmetic upgrades). Also a lot of people favor turbochargers over superchargers. what I think GM should do for the Z28 is the following:
  1. forged engine internals (pistons, crank,...)
  2. stronger tranny and upgraded torque converter.
  3. better gear ratios.
  4. better suspension.
  5. touchup for the exterior.
  6. Thats it!

by this, the Z28 will not be more expensive than the SS but it has the ability to reach or exceed 700 hp safely (either way: turbocharged or supercharged). As for the exterior i don't mined a different style from the SS, I like different trims to be distinguished from the first look.
TriGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:30 AM   #2
SSCamaroZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
There's no point in the Z28 if it can't best the competition in all aspects of performance though. Your 1LE-like ideas won't do it, there needs to be a big power upgrade. Even an upgraded LS3 won't give it the approximate 120HP more it needs to do it. Also, all those things you suggested will make it more expensive than the SS regardless.
2013 Camaro ZL1 M6 Black/Black 21,000 miles. #6944 of 7956. 1 of 1208 black manual coupes.
SSCamaroZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGun View Post
I think GM will do a big mistake if they supercharged the Z28. From what i see, a lot of people looking for not expensive, tunable and upgradable cars rather than expensive, pushed to the limit cars (no room fr cosmetic upgrades). Also a lot of people favor turbochargers over superchargers. what I think GM should do for the Z28 is the following:
  1. forged engine internals (pistons, crank,...)
  2. stronger tranny and upgraded torque converter.
  3. better gear ratios.
  4. better suspension.
  5. touchup for the exterior.
  6. Thats it!

by this, the Z28 will not be more expensive than the SS but it has the ability to reach or exceed 700 hp safely (either way: turbocharged or supercharged). As for the exterior i don't mined a different style from the SS, I like different trims to be distinguished from the first look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCamaroZ28 View Post
There's no point in the Z28 if it can't best the competition in all aspects of performance though. Your 1LE-like ideas won't do it, there needs to be a big power upgrade. Even an upgraded LS3 won't give it the approximate 120HP more it needs to do it. Also, all those things you suggested will make it more expensive than the SS regardless.
IMVHO - The package you suggests sounds really good, but it's going to be more expensive by virtue of GM taking the time and investing in the engineering to do all this stuff. Z28 is going to be more expensive than SS - that's my opinion, but I can't see it any other way. I don't think they're just going to go through the suspension, maybe make minor powertrain adjustments and add a couple body pieces. Of course, that's what happened with the 4th Gen and that's what Corvette Team is doing with the Grand Sport, so maybe I'm off. However, this was before the Cobra transformed from that limp-wristed supposed 320 horse' IRS obomination that was the last generation, to later Terminators, GT500s from a few years ago, and now the 540 horse' GT500 of today. Mustang has lept out in front of Camaro pretty far, in terms of performance and with all the raving about a Track Pack-equipped GT I think Z28 has gotta' compete directly (well, SS with the GT and Z28 with the GT500). It doesn't matter, a whole not , how the Z28 competes with the GT500 - be it with lighter weight and a little more power, or with something like LSA and some suspension tweaks but I think that's where Z28 has gotta' go - right for the 500 and whatever those crazy Dodge boys have in the wings for the SRT8 (?6.4? or something...)

JMVHO

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:47 AM   #4
TriGun

But why they don't take their time to develop the ultimate camaro ? didn't GM learn from their previous mistakes when they try to rush things in production ?. in the other hand, My idea simplify is not to jump to the top of performance, I think there will be a big gap in between SS and the supercharged Z28 they will have to fill sooner or later, so the camaro competitors to Mustang should be like this:

SS Vs. GT (Street Fun)
Z28 Vs. GT with Trackpack (Street Fun & Track Fun)
ZL1 Vs GT5000 (Street Pro & Track Pro)

like the corvette which i think they have covered all performances ranges and all of them are popular cars C6 - GS - Z06 - ZR1
Old 10-22-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
SSCamaroZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
A car higher than the Z28 = Corvette, in price and performance.
2013 Camaro ZL1 M6 Black/Black 21,000 miles. #6944 of 7956. 1 of 1208 black manual coupes.
SSCamaroZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:39 AM   #6
multiSS

Drives: 69 SS396 chevelle 2010 2ssrs camaro
Z28 was the lighter car. With less torque & HP but handled much better.The SS had the big HP.GM doesnt to go massive HP.What was wrong with the 1969 Z28\302
multiSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:14 AM   #7
TriGun

Quote:
A car higher than the Z28 = Corvette, in price and performance.
for now yes but later they are not, a lot of people talking about very high performance mid engine C7 will be produced in 2-3 years.

Quote:
Z28 was the lighter car. With less torque & HP but handled much better.The SS had the big HP.GM doesnt to go massive HP.What was wrong with the 1969 Z28\302
when any body says "a muscle car" you immediately think of a big HP number, and nowadays sedans like maxima/camry/G8 are all around 250-290HP. so a muscle car to outperform sedans they must be at least 150-200 HP more (400-500hp total). so z28 cannot be less than 400hp.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGun View Post
for now yes but later they are not, a lot of people talking about very high performance mid engine C7 will be produced in 2-3 years.
The C7 won't be mid-engined. That's been confirmed. They thought about it, and experimented, but decided Front engined was best.

Tri-gun, the only thing I see wrong with your proposal is right at the end, you say it won't be any more expensive than the SS. That's, unfortunately, impossible. Other than that - it's a neat idea!!

I'm glad to see so many people have thoughts on this. It will be interesting to see what direction GM takes. Whatever they do -- it's going to kick ass.....many folks look at the SS and think; "that's the best Camaro out there".....truth is, the SS setup doesn't begin to explore the performance potential of this car.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The C7 won't be mid-engined. That's been confirmed. They thought about it, and experimented, but decided Front engined was best.

Tri-gun, the only thing I see wrong with your proposal is right at the end, you say it won't be any more expensive than the SS. That's, unfortunately, impossible. Other than that - it's a neat idea!!

I'm glad to see so many people have thoughts on this. It will be interesting to see what direction GM takes. Whatever they do -- it's going to kick ass.....many folks look at the SS and think; "that's the best Camaro out there".....truth is, the SS setup doesn't begin to explore the performance potential of this car.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 10-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #10
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Any Z28 should have a supercharger on it...JMHO

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #11
99-LS1-SS
Waiting...

Drives: 2009 G8 GXP M6
I don't care what engine they put in it as long as it's the LS9!
Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms and toe rods
Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS View Post
to this post and the last.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 10-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #13
Stewcam

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiSS View Post
My 69 z28 was nice but did not handle well especially with no power steering. I think the new one needs handling and at least an LSA motor.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #14
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS View Post
My check book cares........ That would be one freckin expensive Camaro!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote