Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-06-2024, 05:55 PM   #1
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
GMPP/ Chevy Dove Tail Spoiler Owners

Hi all,

I’m looking to see if anyone has an early 5th Gen Dove tail (three piece from GM) spoiler original installation template, or possibly whom to contact to acquire one…

Thanks for any ideas or info you can offer…

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 06:30 PM   #2
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
I have one. I kept it from my current dovetail for future potential endeavors. (I decide to buy another car and install a used spoiler) If we could find someone to reproduce it I would volunteer it up but I don’t want to let it go otherwise, if that makes sense. The side pieces are pretty hard to install without the template but I have done it before on my first ABM SS.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 07:03 PM   #3
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
I have one. I kept it from my current dovetail for future potential endeavors. (I decide to buy another car and install a used spoiler) If we could find someone to reproduce it I would volunteer it up but I don’t want to let it go otherwise, if that makes sense. The side pieces are pretty hard to install without the template but I have done it before on my first ABM SS.
Is there a print shop anywhere local that might reproduce/copy it…

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 03-06-2024, 07:43 PM   #4
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:

I almost bought one for my 2011 2LT/RS before I sold it but Dang! didn't realize it was that desirable an option or add on!

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 10:33 PM   #5
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Is there a print shop anywhere local that might reproduce/copy it…
Yeah I will gladly look into that. even if it was copied over to paper I think it could still be made to work. I’m sure Hesster is looking for one, and if anyone else needs one and I can indeed get them reproduced, I’ll gladly share them. I was in a similar boat about 5 years ago when I was trying to install the dovetail on my old car, no one on here had one at the time.
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:40 PM   #6
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Yeah I will gladly look into that. even if it was copied over to paper I think it could still be made to work. I’m sure Hesster is looking for one, and if anyone else needs one and I can indeed get them reproduced, I’ll gladly share them. I was in a similar boat about 5 years ago when I was trying to install the dovetail on my old car, no one on here had one at the time.
Thank You Sir…

I wore out my contacts at GM, limited as they are, and no luck… I think having it printed out on paper would be just great… I think my original template was paper… Bit of painters tape and away I went, and yes, I was hoping to find one for Hesster…

Old 03-07-2024, 07:15 AM   #7
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Hi Guys -

My plan is to first mount the center and position it correctly, then reinstall the DL, this will allow reference for locating the Wings. I understand it just bolts into the existing holes as is.

I was thinking of using some flexible plastic protective wrap and tracing the pattern from the bottom of the outboard Spoiler Wings, including the mounting studs, then laying that on the Quarters to get a idea of hole location.

Similar to how I traced the Firebird from my T/A to see if it fit the ZTA Hood.

AB - you show a pic of the template in one of the threads, could you maybe take a close up pic of the Wing portion as reference?

Don't wanna rush drilling holes, and in the wrong location.

Thanks, appreciate all of the help!
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:37 AM   #8
Aqua Blue RS/SS

I can definitely do that. It’s in a tote in my shed. I will see if I can dig it out this afternoon and get some pictures. I can tell you that the side pieces are kind of weird to get right the look like the studs should fit the quarter one way but they actually fit a little different once you get the side piece bolted down. It’s hard to explain over text but I fought this a good bit on my first car. Also bear in mind that the template will get the holes close but you may still have to “manipulate” them a little. I had to open them up some even using the template.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:24 AM   #9
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Quote:
I can definitely do that. It’s in a tote in my shed. I will see if I can dig it out this afternoon and get some pictures. I can tell you that the side pieces are kind of weird to get right the look like the studs should fit the quarter one way but they actually fit a little different once you get the side piece bolted down. It’s hard to explain over text but I fought this a good bit on my first car. Also bear in mind that the template will get the holes close but you may still have to “manipulate” them a little. I had to open them up some even using the template.
I know what you mean when I held them over the Quarters. The Center section seems to fit ok to the DL, so I will get that remounted as a guide for the end piece's orientation.
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:38 AM   #10
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Another thing, when the time comes make sure and put blue locktite on the mounting nuts/studs. They will back off if you dont.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:27 PM   #11
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Another thing, when the time comes make sure and put blue locktite on the mounting nuts/studs. They will back off if you dont.
I never had that issue, but then I was removing it and reinstalling it twice a year…. I can certainly see it….