Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-17-2024, 05:56 PM   #71
trashbasket

Drives: 2010 Camaro
yea so, Im sure my opinion may not mean anything to you, but this is all very badass. Keep going. Good work.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:42 PM   #72
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashbasket View Post
yea so, Im sure my opinion may not mean anything to you, but this is all very badass. Keep going. Good work.
Thanks Brother. Appreciate the acknowledgement. This is a really involved but fun build.
hesster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:26 PM   #73
hesster

Had enough of "Shim-Mania" and Panel Fitting for now, and wanted to get the Rotors/Calipers/Brakes installed before I attack the Rear Fasciia and Dovetail Spoiler.

The car has been in the air with the suspension hanging for a long time, and I don't like that as it may not be kind to the Bushings ("Bushing Wind Up").

As I said previously, I thoroughly cleaned the Caliper Bolts for re-use with a little LT Blue. They are Torque and Angle, like for example 30 Ft Lbs in the Rear, then another 90 degrees. I have a T/A adapter, but it is not friendly in tight spaces and a PIA to use, so I hit the Torque Spec, White mark the Bolt and then a reference dot at 90 degrees, and crank until they line up.

I also Torque White Stripe all fasteners that get worked on, it is a practice that was mandatory and documented in the GM Warren MI Prototype Shop where I worked. You don't miss torquing a fastener, and have a reference for any change over time.

Like a idiot, I had removed the Rear Axle Nuts, not sure why but it may have been on a Saturday and a few "Brewskies" deep event. Got the 36mm replacements, broke out the Kahuna Torque Wrench, and 199 Ft Lbs and a little LT Blue they were back on.

Mounted all the TW's and dropped it on the ground. Was looking to see if any minor changes resulted in the Gaps/Flushs, none apparent as these are stiff cars.

Layed the front Upper Grills in to get a look, they will be painted Black and Gold like a Bandit's. With Pearl in the Gold of course.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2024, 08:48 PM   #74
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Damn that thing is looking bad ass! I haven’t forgotten about the dovetail stuff Ive just been really busy the last couple weeks. I will try to get it all posted up this week. Sorry for the delay.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 01:35 PM   #75
hesster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Damn that thing is looking bad ass! I haven’t forgotten about the dovetail stuff Ive just been really busy the last couple weeks. I will try to get it all posted up this week. Sorry for the delay.
That would be appreciated, a I am about to begin on the Rear.

I cleaned off the 3M tape and the Dovetail and Winglets in prep for installation. Not sure if I want to put new 3M tape back on, maybe on the Winglets, cause I imagine once they stick they may never come off w/o damaging something.

I made a quick and dirty Template for mounting the Winglets to the Rear Quarters, that may get me in the ball park for drilling the mounting holes. If there are any additional pics with the Paper Template that show those hole locations that would help me know I have correct locations.

In my Pics I am holding the template to the Quarter to see positioning, I'll know better once I mount the D/L with the Spoiler on it.

The stop light is functional, cool....

Lastly, have to figure out where the hole is to be drilled in the DL for the Wire Harness, and how it is routed and where it it is connected. The grommet is too small for the hole on this piece, so I found something that snugs it up in the hole better. Looks like a 5/8" Dia hole has to be drilled for a pass through.
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2024, 07:44 AM   #76
hesster

Working the Rear Fascia.

Spent most of the day at my Brother's trying to get his 6-71 Blown SBC started on the car I sold him. No dice, set the distributer to 10 deg BTDC, and verified spark and gas, but ran out of battery power cranking it. The MSD and stuff wants a solid 12v and his battery is old. Will figure it out, I don't give up easily. Last Pic in this post.

Everything but the Tail Lamps comes off and is transferred to the ZTA Fascia. The new Fascia has it's own Trans Am style Tail Lamps, pretty cool looking.

I have a new EVO Diffuser on order from Auto Addicts, so I may not mount the old one to the new Fascia unless there is a issue impacting the fit, will find out when I install it first w/o it. Have to wait until April/May for it, better be worth it.

Instructions call for cutting off the (14) ends of whatever the bracket is on the rear of the car, and bashing the metal in somewhat for clearance. No going back here.

Also have to cut a clearance window on the Energy Absorber to clear the License Plate depression in the new Fascia. It is a flimsy piece, and breaks easily. Measure 2x, cut once. I fit nicely.

Will finish mounting all of the other crap on the Fascia, and fir it to the car.
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2024, 07:50 AM   #77
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Looking great! Using that packing foam for a template is ingenious also. I am going to borrow that one
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 08:07 PM   #78
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Bill,

The tape on the spoiler and on the winglets was a a one sided tape, or rather the peel material was never removed, as I installed and removed the dove tail numerous times a year, for the mile… maybe put some one sided tape on there to ensure a vibration free fit, and to protect the paint from vibration wear…

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 07:02 AM   #79
hesster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Bill,

The tape on the spoiler and on the winglets was a a one sided tape, or rather the peel material was never removed, as I installed and removed the dove tail numerous times a year, for the mile… maybe put some one sided tape on there to ensure a vibration free fit, and to protect the paint from vibration wear…
I noticed that, as there was the paint overspray on some of it. And I agree that I will not remove both sides of the 3M tape, as I don't think it is necessary for adhesion in addition to the studs.
It will act more like a vibration damper as you say.

Getting close to mounting that beauty!
Old 03-24-2024, 10:53 AM   #80
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
Looking good sir! Love the look of clean rotors and gold calipers. very clean looking!

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Holley Dominator ECU, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, Kooks Headers, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 11:08 PM   #81
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
I found the box that the template was in earlier tonight but wasn’t able to get a good clean shot of it. I will post one up in better light tomorrow evening when I get home from work. It was steady rain/snow mix most of the day today so getting pictures that would really made sense wasn’t easy.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:05 AM   #82
hesster

Got some work in on getting the Rear Fascia together and ready to mount.

I considered not removing and installing the Stock Diffuser seeing as I have a new one on order, but realized it is a structural member and "shapes" the Fascia when installed.

For those of you have removed and installed one, it is a struggle not to destroy it as the bullitt mounting tabs are a bitch to pry open enough to press the tabs out. But I perservered and got it off.

It is no easier to mount it back into a Fascia, and you have to press really hard to get the tabs to lock, and the new Fascia required slitting open the mounting receiver Tabs as they were moulded shut somewhat. All part of having patience and not destroying parts. But it is installed and a few more things 2 do before it is installed to the Car. I will not mount the Back Up Lamps and Harness as I of course have to paint it.

Also bought a number of LEDs for use in the CAI, Fender Vents, Front Fascia Grill's, and Underhood on the Firewall. Although they have good 3M mounting tape, I like to add some dabs of Epoxy to ensure they stay put.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2024, 03:34 PM   #83
hesster

Busy Day.
Got the CAI and Shaker Air Duct Feed mocked up and the install finalized.

I really like it - it is clean and should be functional, and should flow enough air to actuate the spring loaded flapper in the Scoop opening. Will find out after I put some of the car back together (electrical stuff disconnected).

First thing was to pull the Wash Bottle out. No way is that staying in the CAI. Prob do a remote set up at some point.

Then I bought a 4" Coupler with a "bump" in it which helps to seat in the side of the CAI cut out.

I needed to shorten the main 4" Aluminum Pipe somewhat, then traced a opening on the side of the CAI and started cutting. Somewhat unerving as it is not a cheap item, and did not want anything to go sideways.

The Black Coupler (Was initially Blue) got a hole drilled in it as it fits down over the Stock Air Box mounting stud - perfect for retaining the Pipes and keeping them secured, but allowing some flex for Engine movement. After all it is a Shaker.

Of course it has LEDs for show.

Finally, the Rear Fascia is ready for the initial install, that will be Friday when I have some help coming over.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2024, 08:48 PM   #84
Bee

Drives: SS/RS - Rally Yellow
Everything is coming along nicely!

While on the subject of washer bottles and air scoops, back when I got my CAI kit I also picked up (what I still call) an ADM scoop. Of course, ADM hasn't been around in a long time, but Phastek makes their own version with or without the washer tank.

SEPA5 South Eastern Pennsylvania 5th Gen Camaro Club
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote