Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #43
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
Don't have to check it, its ALWAYS above full.
If you do the right break in, tempering the engine for four hrs in the summer you should have a solid stable engine block.
There are too many variations on breaking an engine in.
The other V6 failure was an engine that went into service in the harsh Canadian winter during December and was used as a daily driver.
Our winters are not that harsh, believe me it was just a production fail. Not driver related, or environment related. My brothers mustang has gone through 4 winters and shes still running strong apart from a clutch.
Like we said, mass production = some degree of failure.
If it becomes even more frequent, then we know that there is something seriously wrong. Even at this rate, 4 popped engines is quite a bit when you think about it. These are just the reported ones
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #44
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
yeah, routinely wipe the soot from the tips and brake dust off the car after every drive...
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #45
aeRayls

Drives: Black 2011 LS (gone)/white 2014 2LS
I had a strange situation myself. I picked my '11 LS up in June and took it in for the first change at like 4300. They(non-dealership) told me I was 2 quarts low, said it didnt even hit the dipstick. So a week later I stopped by the dealership and let them know what was up. They wanted to do an oil consumption eval on it. So I then kept a close eye on the oil level for the next 6 weeks or so and took it in for them to change it. It never left full the whole time and it was full for them.

Something to think about is this. I work in an auto plant, I build engines all night long. I know that we ship the cars out with just about the lowest fluid levels possible. Its on the dealerships to fill them all up. I did buy mine during an offsite "tent" sale. It literally got delivered to the tent sale brand new off the truck. They did tell me they did go through the car and did their prep work.

Bottom line is just keep an eye on your car wether it be new off the lot or down the line. Hopefully mine is ok from here on out.
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #46
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
I can attest to the oil being eaten up on like crazy. I check every 2 weeks tbh
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #47
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is for the L99 V8 Havn't seen one for the V6 yet.
#PI0104B: Excessive Oil Consumption and/or Blue Smoke, Oil May be Present in Intake Manifold, Intermittent MIL Illuminated w/ DTC P0300 (Diagnose / Replace PCV Tube, Rocker Arm Cvr (Left) and/or Lifter (Left) - (Aug 23, 2010)

Subject: Excessive Oil Consumption and/or Blue Exhaust Smoke, Oil May Be Present in Intake Manifold, Intermittent MIL Illuminated with DTC P0300 (Diagnose and Replace PCV Tube, Valve Rocker Arm Cover (Left Side) and/or Valve Lifters (Left Side), As Appropriate)

Models: 2010-2011 Chevrolet Camaro

Equipped with Engine RPO L99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI is being revised to add the 2011 model year. Please discard PI0104A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptoms described in this PI.

Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment on any of the following conditions:

• Excessive oil consumption.

• Blue exhaust smoke.

• The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is illuminated.

The technician may observe DTC P0300 set as current or in history.

This condition may be caused by one or more of the following:

• A PCV tube that is pinched or restricted by casting flash.

• The PCV baffle drain holes may be plugged.

• A malfunctioning PCV orifice.

• The PCV system pulling an excessive amount of oil through the left valve rocker arm cover.

• Overactive valve lifters spraying an excessive amount of oil onto the underside of the left valve rocker arm cover.

Recommendation/Instructions
Perform a complete visual inspection of the engine. Refer to Oil Consumption Diagnosis in SI.
Remove the left side valve rocker arm cover. Refer to Valve Rocker Arm Cover Replacement - Left Side in SI.
Important: If the valve lifters ARE overactive, this step will result in oil being sprayed in the engine area.

Start and idle the engine.
⇒ If idling the engine DOES RESULT in an excessive amount of oil being sprayed from ANY valve lifter, replace ALL 8 valve lifters AND then PROCEED to Step 4. Refer to Valve Lifter Replacement (With AFM) in SI.

⇒ If idling the engine DOES NOT result in an excessive amount of oil being sprayed from ANY valve lifter, then PROCEED to Step 4.

Inspect the crankcase ventilation system. Refer to Crankcase Ventilation System Inspection/Diagnosis and Crankcase Ventilation System Description in SI.
Inspect the PCV tube for oil dripping out of it. Refer to Positive Crankcase Ventilation Hose/Pipe/Tube Replacement in SI.
Look through the throttle body opening for oil collecting in the bottom of the intake manifold.
⇒ If oil is observed leaking from the PCV tube or accumulating in the intake manifold, then REPLACE the left bank valve rocker arm cover AND the PCV tube with the revised parts listed in the Parts Information section below. Refer to Valve Rocker Arm Cover Replacement - Left Side and Positive Crankcase Ventilation Hose/Pipe/Tube Replacement in SI.

Important: It is critical to remove any residual oil that may have accumulated in the intake manifold.

Remove ANY residual oil that may have accumulated in the intake manifold.
Inspect for the correct engine oil level.
Start and idle the engine to a complete warm up.
Part Information
Part Number
Description

Valve Rocker Arm Cover - Left Side

PCV Tube

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J7553*
Valve Rocker Arm Cover Replacement - Left Side
0.9 hr**

Add
Valve Lifter Replacement - Left Side With AFM
4.3 hrs

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

**This time includes oil consumption diagnosis and PCV hose/pipe/tube replacement.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #48
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
I break in all the engines I build easy for the first heat cycle to temper the valve springs and make sure there are no obvious issues, and then run then progressivly harder. Rings seat nicely and all is good. On our race engines since we build them with looser tolerances we do one 1/2 run down the track and 3 full all out runs after that and it's broke in and ready to race.

Excellent post of the PI bulletin....GM & every other manufacturer is well aware of the oil in the intake issues.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #49
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
break a few motors !!!!!

i never broke in a motor yet,355ci SBC, 267 crap motor(performance rebuild,LoL) and a 327 SBC..used Synthetic oil and never had any broken parts,go figure...fired them up from the get go and beat on them from day 1..
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #50
SC2150
Account Suspended

The issue I am convinced the failures are from when they are run low on oil without the driver knowing it. It only takes a few times of the pump pickup to suck oil or have a caviatation issue and that moment of starvation is enough to do the bearing damage people are experiancing.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:36 PM   #51
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
The issue I am convinced the failures are from when they are run low on oil without the driver knowing it. It only takes a few times of the pump pickup to suck oil or have a caviatation issue and that moment of starvation is enough to do the bearing damage people are experiancing.
In that case another design flaw is in the oil safety system. Most safeties warn you or trip before damage can be done. If I was designing a motor that I know would use more oil between oil changes and I wanted it to last. I would design a better safety system to let people know they must check it or add oil. Because we all know that people aren't going to check the oil like your talking about.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:48 PM   #52
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
i just changed my oil in my v6 after 9500 miles ( first oil change) oil was full and actually still golden in color pretty clean i was surprised
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #53
SC2150
Account Suspended

I have to agree with that as well. In the old days we would run into this issue with our drag motors (no low oil alarms!) after going through the traps when we would start to brake, or with the chute deployed it really compounded it as the top of the motor was still holding alot of oil, and the force of rapid deceleration caused the oil to pool toward the front of the pan, and the pickup is in the rear. That momentaryy oil starvation was enough to do the same damage. This has long ago been cured with the baffeled trap-door pans of today and the improved pumps & oil galleys, but it only takes a few seconds of the oil pump sucking air to start scouring a bearing, and once it is damaged it is only a matter of time.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #54
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
I have to agree with that as well. In the old days we would run into this issue with our drag motors (no low oil alarms!) after going through the traps when we would start to brake, or with the chute deployed it really compounded it as the top of the motor was still holding alot of oil, and the force of rapid deceleration caused the oil to pool toward the front of the pan, and the pickup is in the rear. That momentaryy oil starvation was enough to do the same damage. This has long ago been cured with the baffeled trap-door pans of today and the improved pumps & oil galleys, but it only takes a few seconds of the oil pump sucking air to start scouring a bearing, and once it is damaged it is only a matter of time.
I remember those days myself and have lost a few motors to just that.

Either way I hope they find a way to make these new motors more reliable for the every day non motorhead type that isn't going to think to check their oil.
I'm glad for this thread though because now I will be checking my wifes traverse often.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #55
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc0rPs View Post
All new award winning V6 engine... bound to have some issues that can only be seen in mass production.
Ya know I had the same award wining V6 in my CTS. Except it required Mobil 1. Not sure why the difference now. Maybe because it came with a 4 year 50,000 bumper to bumper warranty?

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #56
SC2150
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I remember those days myself and have lost a few motors to just that.

Either way I hope they find a way to make these new motors more reliable for the every day non motorhead type that isn't going to think to check their oil.
I'm glad for this thread though because now I will be checking my wifes traverse often.

I suspect we are from the same generation....I'm in my mid 50's. We seem to be on the same page with alot Seen alot of carnage through the years, but the motors being put out now are just unreal compared to the old days. I have been building 1,000 hp plus based LS motors and they are amazing, and the V6 looks to have a ton of potential as well.