Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #43
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
Coming from a vette to a camaro I've noticed similar issues as well. Although mine was a 96 and thus a C4 I have a good deal of seat time in C5/6 cars as well.
My cags is still hooked up but after 2500 miles Its kicked in maybe 3 times total and I vary my driving style greatly.
The clutch takeup is my biggest complaint. I autox/track days and know how to properly drive a manual trans. I have driven in anger: C6 zo6, boxters, miatas, (1)930, a factory five cobra, c5 vettes, c4 vettes and a string of 4th gen F bods. Heck, even my ex wife had a TVR3800 for a couple years(pos). The clutch takeup is horrible on my camaro.

I'm used to the blind spots by now so no worries there.

Happy motoring and congrats
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #44
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
I agree about the clutch! It catches too early and too short. You just have to get used to it. I drive it like a champ now but it does make it harder to be very smooth. One of my past time is to shift so smooth that it feels like a automatic haha. And yes, this car is VERY LONGGGGG. The ass sticks out all the time wherever I park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plan-b View Post
While I'm here researching the bits that I'd like to do with this car (intake, exhaust, wiring the halos to be on full-time, etc.), I figured I'd say hi and ramble a bit.

I'm new to the Camaro but I'm not really a stranger to Chevy. I bought a brand new C6 Corvette in February 2005 and that thing was a blast to drive. After a few years with it, my boyhood dream of owning a Porsche 911 finally took over and I managed to find a killer deal on a 2004 C4S. I couldn't justify keeping both since, despite the vast differences, they both had kind of a similar purpose. A year and a half after selling the Vette, the draw of having a V8 again came back with a vengeance. Then I read that the Camaro convertible had hit dealerships and all bets were off. Last Friday, after a harrowing ordeal with my crappy dealer (a story by itself), I picked up a Victory Red SS Convertible.

A few musings after having driven it all weekend… and I mean ALL weekend.

- This car gets a LOT of attention. The bright red probably plays into it but the drop top is definitely the head turner. I had 5 people ask me about it at red lights within the first 24 hours!
- GM engineers have a right to be proud of the chassis. I've driven my share of ragtops (though this is my first time owning one) and aside from "designed-from-scratch" roadsters (Miata, S2000, Boxster), this is the best drop top platform I've driven. And it's got back seats. Score!
- The clutch take-up is a bit finicky. It feels like the pedal spring is way over eager early in the travel leading to some jerkiness. I'm sure I'll adjust to it.
- The Hurst short shifter is ridiculous. I've driven manuals exclusively for well over 2 decades and I'm missing shifts now. But still loving every minute of it. I can't wait till this shifter becomes second nature for me.
- I think the Hurst shifter became a $380 CAGS eliminator. I have yet to trigger the forced 4th gear, even in scenarios that I'm positive should have based on my experience with the Vette (though the eliminator went on that car less than 1000 miles into ownership). I haven't even seen the 1->4 light, if there is one at all.
- The steering wheel controls for the radio are all but useless on the right side. If I have to take my hand off the shifter to change stations/songs or adjust the volume, it's actually an easier reach to the radio itself. Other cars I've driven have radio controls on the left so I can adjust the radio while I'm rowing through gears. There's no reason I'd ever need to adjust the cruise control while shifting so those really should be on the right. GM obviously didn't do focus groups in this department.
- The passenger side blind spot with the top up is big enough to hide the USS Ronald Reagan in it. I'll be backing into parking spots a lot more than I already do.
- It has fewer HUD display options compared to my Vette. That's a bit disappointing, though understandable. I could swear they've improved contrast, brightness and overall visibility though.
- I get looks from Mustang drivers more than anyone else, but I kind of expected that. I've never owned a car with such a fierce rivalry with another brand & model before. This is going to be interesting.
- This car is looooong. I can just barely squeeze my motorcycle behind it in my garage whereas the Porsche & Vette left plenty of room.

And for the "this thread is worthless without pictures" crowd:

Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #45
LT4Lover
LT4Lover

Drives: 2011 SG 2SS/RS,'97 30th Z28 SS LT4
That is so true about the clutch. Far too jerky until you focus & practice on how to feather it for smooth shifts... definately not for novices!
LT4Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:11 AM   #46
plan-b
No Compromise

Drives: '04 996 C4S, '11 2SS Convertible
Seriously, if you're new to manual transmissions, rethink your purchase here. I've gotten pretty used to it now but when I jump back into my Maxima or Porsche, it becomes a very strange feeling as both of those cars have relatively friendly clutches.
plan-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:19 AM   #47
Camaro8810

Drives: Black 2010 2LT RS
Beautiful ride. Congrats.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:20 AM   #48
Nightfall
"To Punish And Enslave"

Drives: B E RS GBA #72541 3564 CC 220 CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by plan-b View Post
While I'm here researching the bits that I'd like to do with this car (intake, exhaust, wiring the halos to be on full-time, etc.), I figured I'd say hi and ramble a bit.

I'm new to the Camaro but I'm not really a stranger to Chevy. I bought a brand new C6 Corvette in February 2005 and that thing was a blast to drive. After a few years with it, my boyhood dream of owning a Porsche 911 finally took over and I managed to find a killer deal on a 2004 C4S. I couldn't justify keeping both since, despite the vast differences, they both had kind of a similar purpose. A year and a half after selling the Vette, the draw of having a V8 again came back with a vengeance. Then I read that the Camaro convertible had hit dealerships and all bets were off. Last Friday, after a harrowing ordeal with my crappy dealer (a story by itself), I picked up a Victory Red SS Convertible.

A few musings after having driven it all weekend… and I mean ALL weekend.

- This car gets a LOT of attention. The bright red probably plays into it but the drop top is definitely the head turner. I had 5 people ask me about it at red lights within the first 24 hours!
- GM engineers have a right to be proud of the chassis. I've driven my share of ragtops (though this is my first time owning one) and aside from "designed-from-scratch" roadsters (Miata, S2000, Boxster), this is the best drop top platform I've driven. And it's got back seats. Score!
- The clutch take-up is a bit finicky. It feels like the pedal spring is way over eager early in the travel leading to some jerkiness. I'm sure I'll adjust to it.
- The Hurst short shifter is ridiculous. I've driven manuals exclusively for well over 2 decades and I'm missing shifts now. But still loving every minute of it. I can't wait till this shifter becomes second nature for me.
- I think the Hurst shifter became a $380 CAGS eliminator. I have yet to trigger the forced 4th gear, even in scenarios that I'm positive should have based on my experience with the Vette (though the eliminator went on that car less than 1000 miles into ownership). I haven't even seen the 1->4 light, if there is one at all.
- The steering wheel controls for the radio are all but useless on the right side. If I have to take my hand off the shifter to change stations/songs or adjust the volume, it's actually an easier reach to the radio itself. Other cars I've driven have radio controls on the left so I can adjust the radio while I'm rowing through gears. There's no reason I'd ever need to adjust the cruise control while shifting so those really should be on the right. GM obviously didn't do focus groups in this department.
- The passenger side blind spot with the top up is big enough to hide the USS Ronald Reagan in it. I'll be backing into parking spots a lot more than I already do.
- It has fewer HUD display options compared to my Vette. That's a bit disappointing, though understandable. I could swear they've improved contrast, brightness and overall visibility though.
- I get looks from Mustang drivers more than anyone else, but I kind of expected that. I've never owned a car with such a fierce rivalry with another brand & model before. This is going to be interesting.
- This car is looooong. I can just barely squeeze my motorcycle behind it in my garage whereas the Porsche & Vette left plenty of room.

And for the "this thread is worthless without pictures" crowd:

did not think of that (though i dont drive manuals) but good obseration and i agree btw welcome to the mad house frist round of meds on me

C.A.M.A.R.O- Constantly Adding Modifications Addiction Relentless Obsession
90% canadian 10% mexican 100% american muscle :flag2:
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #49
Bryan

Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
Any chance we could see some pics of your Porche?
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote