Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Applying Touch Up Paint!~

Hey I need some tips applying touch up paint! I have never done this before and don't want to mess up! I have the little black pen thing from GM- basically do I just dab where the paint chips are?? The pen didn't come with a clear-coat - would this be a problem?? Any tips on how to do this so it looks professionally done?
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
51733ChristyMM
Sweet '10 #2476

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue LT/RS Camaro #2476
i brought mine to the body shop at the dealer when i bought my pen and the guy i deal with came out and he did mine on the rocker panels, he took most of the paint off of the tip of the brush, then lightly dabbed it on until the spots were filled. The paint is usually really thick like nail polish and if you put too much you can't get the excess off, so put a little and you can always add more.
#2476 of 3903
51733ChristyMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
camarozzzz

Thanks!! Did you use a clear coat pen too?? Or just the touch up one?
Old 08-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Yes less is more. I didnt use the pen part but the brush on. Mine has both a brush and pen combo and IMO the brush is more controlled. I fixed rock chips on the front of mine. If your trying to repair chips that r on a horizontal surface like your hood, quarter panels, etc its really hard to get it to flow well. Vertical panels are much easier to hide it. It dries fast so have a wet paper towel handy so if you make a mistake, quickly wipe it off. This is gonna sound weird but I used a toothpick to help smooth the paint out on mine. I had several bad spots and you cant tell unless I point them out. Just take your time and practice a little bit on a piece of paper so you can get a feel for the paint and how the pen works.

Good luck!
Old 08-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
The trick with Langka is to use as many applications or layers of touch up paint to fill the chip up until there is a slight blob above the surrounding surface. It may take 3 coats to fill up chips like those in the video. Then use the blob eliminator to eliminate the blob. The system works and won't damage the surrounding paint and if you goof up it's easy to start over.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
I have always like applying touch paint with a plastic tooth pick. Apply a small dab of paint to the tip and aim it into the area. Allow it to roll into the chiip.

Applying many light coats is far better then applying one heavy coat. If you apply too thick of a coat it will take forever to dry (and it will shrink considerably as it dries). Light coats allow most of the solvent to out gas prior quickly, reducing shrinkage and speeding up cure times.

If you are going to sand it and polish, allow 48 hours for it harden/cure.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
camarozzzz

Hey thanks for all of the useful advice guys! I am going to actually do this later today!

One more question: Did you guys apply a clear coat on-top of the paint touch ups you did??