Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
Explain My First Spin

I spun for the first time. On ramp entering the freeway like I've done a hundred times before. Threw it in second and went into a 360.

This was a perfect storm of mistakes on my part. But just hours before, I put Royal Purple in the rear diff and I was wondering if that could have contributed in any way? Should I expect the car to handle differently? Is the Royal Purple more slippery in there?

Now here are the full confessions. I always drive with the nannies off. Tonight they would have saved me. But I don't think that's it really, I think it happened because it's 37 degrees and I'm running on summer rated P Zeros, and the tires were too cold. But mostly I want to hear whether or not I need to be more cautious with the Royal Putple?

What are your thoughts? I know some scolding is coming my way, haha, but I can take it
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
cj04

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs
Just a traction issue. The p-zeroes turn to stone in the cold.
cj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
ba2ss

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj04 View Post
Just a traction issue. The p-zeroes turn to stone in the cold.
this, like ridding on plastic tires in the cold
ba2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
LOBBS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Yep, I've been driving on the factory P-Zeros in cold KC since I bought my '10 SS 2 weeks ago. So glad my set of Conti DWS all-seasons showed up today. It's been unsettling, at best, getting back and forth to work.
LOBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #5
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
I bet you were not wearing flip flops when you walked out the door , Thats what you have on your car now when cold
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
This always makes me angry, why do you feel the need to turn the nannies off? I'm going to say it, you're an idiot and don't deserve to be driving. Save the turning the nannies off for the track where you really won't hurt anyone, stupid.

There is ZERO benefit to disabling the "nannies" on the street, there's absolutely no way your driving the car to it's limit that's the nannies slow you down. Obviously your skill level of driving proves my point, a good driver could have simply let the tail end kick out some and been smart enough to back out of the throttle and counter steer just the right amount.

Maybe now you will think about leaving them on. I track and autocross my car, they stay on when i'm on the street, mainly because I don't feel like hitting buttons when I start the car, but also because I like my car, and when it's wet out, slick parts of the road literally do come out of nowhere. You can't always tell which part of the road will be slick and which ones won't be.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Explain My First Spin

Nannies on probably wouldn't have helped you in this situation. The problem here was down shifting to accelerate on summer tires and 37 degree weather.

I did a 180 just making a turn with slight throttle on GY F1 tires and 25 degree weather which is dangerous but it was 70 earlier that day and didn't expect the temp drop.

Last edited by Camero5; 11-26-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Camero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #8
Destructo09

The Nannies in the normal startup mode are quiet aggressive and i've done some extra power in cold rain and it reigned it in quite promptly. You'd be surprised how well they work if you actually let them work.

Competition mode is awesome as well for the track. I used it in my last autocross and you might be surprised how much fun you can have before it even kicks in. I was doing some sliding around without it even kicking in on dry pavement. I only felt it shut me down once in all my 7 runs.

I do wish for the autocross I turned them all off however so I could really learn from my mistakes. The worst case is I would kill a few cones and maybe scratch some paint.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 11-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
Destructo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Well, was it 70F or 25F?

How do you know the SabiliTrack wouldn't have helped?
Have done many experiments?

I can only imagine how many experiments GM has done.
I've done my own experiments even, like today, it was low 40s and rainy, I went a bit fast around a corner which I go around very often and I of course had nothing turned off like normal. I can almost always tell when the rear is going to break lose and stabilitrak is VERY quick to kick in.

My wife has a jeep wrangler and while it's not a GM vehicle, it's very similar in that it has a similar stability control system, it's also a manual.

I tried doing doughtnuts in 2wd last winter in a few inches of snow, no matter how hard I tried, it couldn't do it, stability control reigned in all the fun, lol.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 11-26-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
This always makes me angry, why do you feel the need to turn the nannies off? I'm going to say it, you're an idiot and don't deserve to be driving. Save the turning the nannies off for the track where you really won't hurt anyone, stupid.

There is ZERO benefit to disabling the "nannies" on the street, there's absolutely no way your driving the car to it's limit that's the nannies slow you down. Obviously your skill level of driving proves my point, a good driver could have simply let the tail end kick out some and been smart enough to back out of the throttle and counter steer just the right amount.

Maybe now you will think about leaving them on. I track and autocross my car, they stay on when i'm on the street, mainly because I don't feel like hitting buttons when I start the car, but also because I like my car, and when it's wet out, slick parts of the road literally do come out of nowhere. You can't always tell which part of the road will be slick and which ones won't be.

a little harsh, but agree completely. if the op wants to wreck his car or kill himself so be it. but stay off the roads and the hell away from the rest of us. go be stupid someplace more secluded than the interstates and public roads.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:56 PM   #11
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Well, was it 70F or 25F?

How do you know the SabiliTrack wouldn't have helped?
Have done many experiments?

I can only imagine how many experiments GM has done.

It was close to 70 earlier that afternoon and dropped below 30 that evening.

I am no expert, I was giving my opinion based on previous experiences I have had myself and others . Your more than welcome to do a search on the forums and web and see the countless threads of people in this same situation with traction and stabilitrak turned on. There are several threads where the cars were wrecked or totaled from exact situation and NANNIES ON. There are also several Bulletins from the tire manufactures warning about loss of traction in cold weather.

These are SUMMER tires, not winter tires and they obviously loose some function as the temperature gets colder. Add rain, and some Tq and your asking for it. Will stabilitrak kick in, sure it will and it may save your life. In this situation, based on my experiences, it would not have helped MUCH. Again, my personal
opinion.

If you feel differently, this is an open forum and your more than welcome to provide your opinion.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:57 PM   #12
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
I spun for the first time. On ramp entering the freeway like I've done a hundred times before. Threw it in second and went into a 360.

This was a perfect storm of mistakes on my part. But just hours before, I put Royal Purple in the rear diff and I was wondering if that could have contributed in any way? Should I expect the car to handle differently? Is the Royal Purple more slippery in there?

Now here are the full confessions. I always drive with the nannies off. Tonight they would have saved me. But I don't think that's it really, I think it happened because it's 37 degrees and I'm running on summer rated P Zeros, and the tires were too cold. But mostly I want to hear whether or not I need to be more cautious with the Royal Putple?

What are your thoughts? I know some scolding is coming my way, haha, but I can take it
Don't worry about it..i spin a little in the summer months going around the same corner just before dark that I had went around about 4 in the aft. Little temp change but the road is cooler. That's with the nannies on...go sideways just a bit.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:06 AM   #13
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Personally dont understand the "I turn the Nannies off whenever I drive" thing but to each their own. I turn mine off too, at the track. Bottom line is GM has spent HUGE amounts of cash to build a system to save our collective a$$es because we drive cars everyday that not long ago were the dreams of every hot rodder.

With that extra HP punch came more responsibilities and GM helped out with PTM. Summer tires also have no place being on your car when it gets cold. If you car see your breath outside its to cold for summer tires are the ads on TV in my neck of the woods and it's probably true. If you drive your car year round get season appropriate tires, its not any more money than one set becasue now they will last twice as long because only drive on them half as much. In truth you are pulling a future tire sale forward and keeping yourself and everyone around you safer.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Last edited by Todd in Vancouver; 11-27-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:15 AM   #14
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Too much power and not enough grip will do it every time...
Looks like you figured it out though.... Like they say No Blood, no Foul.