Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

View Poll Results: Rear Diff groan by the numbers
I have NEVER had the groan 135 27.27%
I have the groan and need to take the car to the dealer 211 42.63%
I have changed the diff fluid and do not have the groan 39 7.88%
I have changed the diff fluid and the groan returned 53 10.71%
I have changed the rear diff completely and do not have the groan 11 2.22%
I have changed the rear diff completely and HAVE the groan 25 5.05%
I have changed the diff fluid more than once and do not have the groan 5 1.01%
I have changed the diff fluid more than once and have the groan 8 1.62%
I have changed the rear diff completely more than once and do not have the groan 3 0.61%
I have changed the rear diff completely more than once and HAVE the groan 5 1.01%
Voters: 495. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2017, 08:02 PM   #99
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Took my 2016 A8 in for the issue. They looked up the service bulletin, changed the fluid under warranty and I was on my way. No questions asked.
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:02 PM   #100
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDX2000 View Post
I figured it's time to share my groan story with everyone. I first had the groan start about a month after I bought the car. I took it to one dealer and they tried to tell me it was the brakes. I didn't waste time trying to argue with them. I just took it to another dealer who has been great. When I took it to them I had already called GM support and opened a case with them. I gave the case number to the service guy and they did the rear diff fluid change and figure eights. That worked for about a month (maybe). I took it back in and they spoke with GM. GM authorized a rear diff carrier replace. They replaced the carrier the end of March. I have not had the groan until about 2 weeks ago. I took it back to the dealership. They heard the grown and had a GM tech come look at the car. He told them it was normal. The dealership asked me to come pickup my car. At this point I called GM and opened another case with them as if this was a "normal" behavior, they would not have a SB on it nor would they have replaced the rear diff carrier. I should hear back on this case from GM tomorrow. In total the car has been seen and documented for this issue 4 times now. I had to also take the car in for an issue with some sort of "vibration or chatter" when the car is warm and under slight acceleration. The dealership flushed the transmission fluid and told me to put 200 miles on the car. I have since put about 500 miles on the car and the chatter has not returned. At this point I am very concerned about the rear diff and transmission issues I have been having. I love the car but I am not willing to except this as normal operational behavior. I would not like to lemon law it, so I hope GM will step up and figure out what is causing this and fix it. My advice to anyone going through this BS is to find a good dealership and don't get mad at them. They usually can only do what GM authorizes. So put the pressure on GM. So far this approach has worked well for me.
Very reasonable response explaining your issues. As an fyi, changed my fluid at 3500 miles (it was groaning just a bit and felt like binding first turn of morning) Once changed, groaning / binding improved by 75%. Had a ton of cars, but never one (till now) with rear end noises / binding.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:07 PM   #101
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
My car is getting its second diff fluid change tomorrow. They did the first about a month ago, I put 800 miles on it, and iwas still groaning. But the I would say the groan was 75% of what is was. Service manager said they may have not gotten all the original fluid out on the first fluid change...
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:12 PM   #102
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Never had the groan. Did a diff fluid swap a few days ago @ ~13k miles. Fluid was SILVER, and stunk to high heaven.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:57 AM   #103
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Going on 2 years and still got the groan after 2 diff fluid changes. I gave up on it... I will avoid the dealer at all costs unless its minor which to me this isnt.
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:38 AM   #104
wvyankee2

Drives: 2017 LT Turbo/6Man.
2017 4 Turbo/6 Man . I understand that I have the limited slip rear diff. Turning left mostly but right also I have the groan. Seems worse when cold.

wvyankee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:47 AM   #105
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Diff groan was much discussed in Gen5 as well.

I had some groan and got the oil changed. The groan diminished but on cold starts, sharp turns particularly in reverse are not silent. It's the nature of the limited slip to make some noise as the discs are slipping. My 2010 now has about 64,000 and the slight groan hasn't gotten any worse. The limited slip does its job when mashing the gas, too.

I had a rental jeep once that had obviously had its diff oil replaced with the wrong stuff. This was in Costa Rica. When you backing this car up while turning, it sounded almost like a collision as the diff grabbed and then released. That would be a problem!
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:20 AM   #106
killervette666

Drives: 1979 Corvette
For what it's worth I read up on this issue shortly after buying my 2017 1SS and had my dealership change my oil and diff fluid at 500 miles. No groan at all. I would recommend an early diff fluid change (even if the service tech does look at you like crazy).
killervette666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #107
Reaper333

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Black..
Ive had my differential fluid changed out a month ago. Still had the groaning. Two nights ago the differential took a dump on me and left me stranded in the middle of the night. I had it towed into the dealer that night. Next day they called me and confirmed that the differential was toast and they ordered a full assembly to be replaced under warranty. So, my advice to anyone with this issue is to keep taking it in because at some point it will fail. I took my 16 2ss in at least four times for this issue. Was told over and over that it was normal and that even with the fluid changes at some point the noise would come back. Very disappointed. Hopefully this will take care of the issue for me. Will see what happens Friday.
Reaper333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:47 PM   #108
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper333 View Post
Ive had my differential fluid changed out a month ago. Still had the groaning. Two nights ago the differential took a dump on me and left me stranded in the middle of the night. I had it towed into the dealer that night. Next day they called me and confirmed that the differential was toast and they ordered a full assembly to be replaced under warranty. So, my advice to anyone with this issue is to keep taking it in because at some point it will fail. I took my 16 2ss in at least four times for this issue. Was told over and over that it was normal and that even with the fluid changes at some point the noise would come back. Very disappointed. Hopefully this will take care of the issue for me. Will see what happens Friday.
Why waste our time taking in it, when they don't fix it. I had mine in 3 times. They keep telling me it's normal. Yeah, ok, can't wait till my lease is up, see you GM! I'm done with this crap.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:49 AM   #109
Reaper333

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Why waste our time taking in it, when they don't fix it. I had mine in 3 times. They keep telling me it's normal. Yeah, ok, can't wait till my lease is up, see you GM! I'm done with this crap.
I cant say I blame you. Its very irritating that GM doesn't stand behind their product. I'm just hoping that this will fix my issue with it. But question is what will break next.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:21 AM   #110
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I am on third flush and started groaning again but only on cold start. I give up.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:04 AM   #111
Reaper333

I just got a call from the dealer. They are also replacing the axles. Must have been really bad. Sigh sucks
Old 10-19-2017, 09:10 AM   #112
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
I had 2 flushes done last year and said fuk it, when my lease is up they can deal with the noise. I can't waste any more time trying to get something fixed that won't... Now that the colder weather is here the noise is coming back in full force. Good job GM!!!
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote