Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #29
DrJohn

Drives: 2010 1LT
Strange that this thread should come up today. I was trying to figger out how to post a question about low oil without sounding like an idiot.

Well, maybe I can't stop the latter part but I checked my oil Monday eve and it wasn't even touching the dipstick. I had to add another quart about 2000 miles after an oil change and I know they added all the oil at the oil change cause the neighbor kid works at Jiffy Lube and when I take my car in he's the only one that works on it and he is very good with cars. Only knew him from the knees down for many years as he was always working on his street racer.

I use Mobil1 and do have a bit of a heavy foot but only for short bursts.

Here's another clue. I get alotta soot out the tail pipes.

I have the GFX body kit and it has the square exhaust ports in the diffuser panel that has a chrome bezel around it. I'm sure you have seen it before. Anyway, every time I wash it it has a ton of soot on the chrome bezels mainly because my pipes don't stick thru the diffuser like they do when they are stock. Instead the pipes stop just short of the bezel and have a square type bell end that is also inside the bezel. This leads me to believe they stuck the pipes out to avoid the user seeing the soot on the diffuser.

I have asked 2 diff dealership shops about it (niether knew I was asking another dealership) and both said the exact same thing. "It's normal. Because of the CATs." I don't think so, Vern.

I have an 88 G3 Camaro with 160+k miles and it never uses oil. Full from one oil change to the next so this confuses me. It also concerns me.

If this is the case I'm gonna have to blow it up before warranty expires.

If they are gonna release this kinda stuff they deserve the extra expense. But then Risk Management has probably factored this all in and figger it's cheaper to replace the motors than fix the problem.

I'm very disappointed at this.
DrJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #30
pennor

Drives: 2011 2LT - 73 Corvette 454
There's no doubt that I'm going to get flamed on this post, but sometimes I just can't sit quietly and not make a comment. It's not my nature

A few of you seem to have an oil consumption problem. And for the guy that has the spun rod barring, I'm truely sorry! But how are you folks running your car? How hard are you pushing that engine? Did you take it easy for the first 1500 mile break-in period as suggested by the owners manual?

I've see in other threads that people think that just because the Camaro is supposidly a sports/performance car they think that they can take it off the show room floor and drag race it. Hey guys, it's still mechanical. The engine needs a proper breakin. On top of that, you bought the V6 engine, and so did I. I don't think it was ever intended for racing abuse. The V6 is a Boulevard Cruiser not a race car engine. It was designed to run on regular, get good gas mileage, take you from point A to point B in style, but not be be abused. If you were wanting to do that you should have bought the SS, paid the extra $$$$'s and live with higher fuel and insurance bills.

I'm simply asking if the problem is the engine, the manufacturer or the driver? Think about it!
pennor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #31
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJohn View Post
Strange that this thread should come up today. I was trying to figger out how to post a question about low oil without sounding like an idiot.

Well, maybe I can't stop the latter part but I checked my oil Monday eve and it wasn't even touching the dipstick. I had to add another quart about 2000 miles after an oil change and I know they added all the oil at the oil change cause the neighbor kid works at Jiffy Lube and when I take my car in he's the only one that works on it and he is very good with cars. Only knew him from the knees down for many years as he was always working on his street racer.

I use Mobil1 and do have a bit of a heavy foot but only for short bursts.

Here's another clue. I get alotta soot out the tail pipes.

I have the GFX body kit and it has the square exhaust ports in the diffuser panel that has a chrome bezel around it. I'm sure you have seen it before. Anyway, every time I wash it it has a ton of soot on the chrome bezels mainly because my pipes don't stick thru the diffuser like they do when they are stock. Instead the pipes stop just short of the bezel and have a square type bell end that is also inside the bezel. This leads me to believe they stuck the pipes out to avoid the user seeing the soot on the diffuser.

I have asked 2 diff dealership shops about it (niether knew I was asking another dealership) and both said the exact same thing. "It's normal. Because of the CATs." I don't think so, Vern.

I have an 88 G3 Camaro with 160+k miles and it never uses oil. Full from one oil change to the next so this confuses me. It also concerns me.

If this is the case I'm gonna have to blow it up before warranty expires.

If they are gonna release this kinda stuff they deserve the extra expense. But then Risk Management has probably factored this all in and figger it's cheaper to replace the motors than fix the problem.

I'm very disappointed at this.
Bro honestly reading that made me cringe a bit for you. My father kept telling me he was noticing black smoke coming from my tail pipes when I left the house, meaning it was burning a little bit of oil. Sounds like you have the exact same problem as me...if I understand correctly your bearing isn't tight enough allowing your piston to sort of "wobble" allowing oil to get past a burn up.

I'd be worried as hell, how many miles do you have on it? I'd expect it to blow very soon.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #32
Tallboy
Say "when"...

Drives: 11 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Bro honestly reading that made me cringe a bit for you. My father kept telling me he was noticing black smoke coming from my tail pipes when I left the house, meaning it was burning a little bit of oil. Sounds like you have the exact same problem as me...if I understand correctly your bearing isn't tight enough allowing your piston to sort of "wobble" allowing oil to get past a burn up.

I'd be worried as hell, how many miles do you have on it? I'd expect it to blow very soon.
Black smoke=fuel.

Blue smoke=oil.
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #33
scruffyluv
CB5thGEN

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS BRM 1LE, 05 Trailblazer
i checked my oil this am, and its fine. We spent the weekend putting over 1600 miles on her, and did some racing as well. No problems.
scruffyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #34
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
These engines run rich.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #35
DrJohn

Quote:

Just cracked 20,600 miles on it.

I drive it rather conservatively actually. I did do all the 1500 mile break in stuff as advised by GM and changed the oil at 500, 1500, 3000 and switched to Mobil1 at the 1500 change. I will change by the oil life indicator now since it is fully broken in.

I let it finish it's high idle stuff before I drive away. I drive it easy until it warms up. I do have a tendency to ... how should I say ... enjoy the acceleration on occasion, though. Top speed I have done is 117 out in the eastern desert area or Oregon about 3 months ago.

I don't see an smoke, but the soot is definitely there.

We are planning a trip early next spring from Portland to San Francisco to Las Vegas to Reno and back to Portland. Hopefully it will puke before that trip if it's gonna.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #36
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Some of you may have noticed my thread about my motor breaking, my entire bottom end is being replaced as it threw a bearing on cylinder #4.

No abuse, oil was changed on time, NO mods at all.

All I can say is if you would like to avoid your motor blowing up I'd suggest you check your oil at least weekly!

Until I get my mess sorted out I'm not disclosing everything my tech said but all I can tell you guys for now is CHECK it! Even if you have been getting regular oil changes you still need to check it, it may be lower than you think...
Don't have to check it, its ALWAYS above full.
If you do the right break in, tempering the engine for four hrs in the summer you should have a solid stable engine block.
There are too many variations on breaking an engine in.
The other V6 failure was an engine that went into service in the harsh Canadian winter during December and was used as a daily driver.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #37
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennor View Post
There's no doubt that I'm going to get flamed on this post, but sometimes I just can't sit quietly and not make a comment. It's not my nature

A few of you seem to have an oil consumption problem. And for the guy that has the spun rod barring, I'm truely sorry! But how are you folks running your car? How hard are you pushing that engine? Did you take it easy for the first 1500 mile break-in period as suggested by the owners manual?

I've see in other threads that people think that just because the Camaro is supposidly a sports/performance car they think that they can take it off the show room floor and drag race it. Hey guys, it's still mechanical. The engine needs a proper breakin. On top of that, you bought the V6 engine, and so did I. I don't think it was ever intended for racing abuse. The V6 is a Boulevard Cruiser not a race car engine. It was designed to run on regular, get good gas mileage, take you from point A to point B in style, but not be be abused. If you were wanting to do that you should have bought the SS, paid the extra $$$$'s and live with higher fuel and insurance bills.

I'm simply asking if the problem is the engine, the manufacturer or the driver? Think about it!

Already did think about it.

To which I say there are many ways to break in an engine. Many have raced them right out of the dealership and do not see oil consumption after 20,000miles. May not always be the driver or the way you break in the engine.

But could be the way the engine is driven after break-in. I never get on my engine until at least all the fluids are up to operating temperatures. I never drive away until the engine comes back down off idle. Just some other thoughts to ponder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
Black smoke=fuel.

Blue smoke=oil.

BINGO......Thanks for helping those who didn't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieNsky View Post
These engines run rich.
Very rich indeed. Which is the cause of the soot, not necessarily the oil consumption. I know because I am not using any oil and I wipe my MRT tail pipes daily to take the soot off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJohn View Post
Just cracked 20,600 miles on it.

I drive it rather conservatively actually. I did do all the 1500 mile break in stuff as advised by GM and changed the oil at 500, 1500, 3000 and switched to Mobil1 at the 1500 change. I will change by the oil life indicator now since it is fully broken in.

I let it finish it's high idle stuff before I drive away. I drive it easy until it warms up. I do have a tendency to ... how should I say ... enjoy the acceleration on occasion, though. Top speed I have done is 117 out in the eastern desert area or Oregon about 3 months ago.

I don't see an smoke, but the soot is definitely there.

We are planning a trip early next spring from Portland to San Francisco to Las Vegas to Reno and back to Portland. Hopefully it will puke before that trip if it's gonna.
Very rich indeed. Which is the cause of the soot, not necessarily the oil consumption. I know because I am not using any oil and I wipe my MRT tail pipes daily to take the soot off.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #38
DrJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
Black smoke=fuel.

Blue smoke=oil.
Mine is soot and it seems to have a bit of liquidity to it since it seems to run down the diffuser bezels

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieNsky View Post
These engines run rich.
That has been a suspicion of mine since I added the CAI. Right after I installed the Airraid v2 tube it threw a CEL but did not store a code. I have a code reader/re-setter that also reads the Freeze Frame data.

I'm wondering if a fuse pull wouldn't be in order here to reset the fuel mapping.

About the break in procedure, I followed GM rules and also that of my service tech (not a writer, a mechanic/tech) and did not go out and cruise at 55 for 1500 miles. I drove in stop and go traffic and also short freeway trips around the Portland area. Varied the RPM as recommended and changed the oil as required if not before (the money is a non-sequitor).

My Camaro:

1LT
6M
Airraid CAI
Magnaflow CAT back
Clear Bra
Console Gauge Cluster
GFX
No Front Plate -
Old 10-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #39
steveww
RUSH TWO

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
I just check mine, 2010 2LT RS with K&N CAI and Borla Axle Back.
changed oil @5,000 with Penzoil Platinum.
Current milage 7,500 everything fine.
steveww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #40
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennor View Post

Brother, you can drive yours like a sexy mini-van, I'll drive mine like a sports-coupe. V6 or not, it's not always how it was broke-in, or being driven. Sometimes you just get a bad one.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:55 PM   #41
zen

Drives: 2011 CTS CPE & 2010 2LT/RS CGM
Let's not get carried away. GM has been building the 3.6L engine for years and years. The only difference with the DI engine is that cylider liners were installed and different heads for the DI. There have been tens of thousands of these DI engines installed in Cadillacs for the last several years and the only issues were some bad timing chains (2008 & 2009).
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #42
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Ok, but why are some v6's showing up low on oil and some are not?
I know when i did my first oil change, which was early, it was about 2 quarts low and i was shocked and told myself id never bring it to the dealer again. Didnt think my car was burning that much oil
Honestly, ill check it perodically, but if she blows, she blows. Ive never had to check any of our others cars this much, geeze shes more fragile then a ferrari. Im waiting for the shuttle to pick me up as we speak so i can get my car back from warranty work.
Thanks for the heads up
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote