Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #183
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP View Post
Ah yes could call there... Bull any pics by chance?
Hey Bull

UNSCREW THE RETURN FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE REGULATOR AND TURN THE KEY ON AND SEE IF IT SHOOTS FUEL TO FT WORTH

Note - Gasoline and other flameable liquids and gases should be dealt with very carefully - http://www.dallasnews.com/news/commu...-condition.ece
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #184
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Wow, do you really think they could have one of the feed lines going to the bottom (return port on the regulator) It seems almost impossible since the feed ports are on the sides of the regulator and only one port on the bottom which is obviously return.

Or is this to check to see if the ports on the pump hat are reversed. This seems more like it
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #185
realsquash

Drives: Four Door Camaro
Yeah i thought about doing that. There is a diagram in the install guide though.

Andy
Old 01-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #186
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realsquash View Post
Yeah i thought about doing that. There is a diagram in the install guide though.

Andy
Well, removed the cowl cover, unbolted the regulator, removed the bottom(return) -8 line on the regulator and turned on the key, 10 seconds later as teh gauge went to 58psi, large heavy stream of fuel started spewing forth from the bottom port on the regulator not the hose. So its plumbed correctly.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads

Last edited by BullF-16; 01-12-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #187
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Did that on a turbo buick of my friends once. Notice I said once. Lol
Old 01-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #188
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
Well, removed the cowl cover, unbolted the regulator, removed the bottom(return) -8 line on the regulator and turned on the key, 10 seconds later as teh gauge went to 58psi, large heavy stream of fuel started spewing forth from the bottom port on the regulator not the hose. So its plumbed correctly.
That rules that out...... No delay of 10 sec should be there
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #189
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Does it hold fuel pressure after shutting the engine off? If it doesn't, that would be a key hint. Maybe a check valve is stuck open or missing. Or a bad regulator. The check valve should be holding pressure at one end and the regulator at the other. If the regulator is regulating fuel pressure normally while running, I would think that is ok. Somehow the line is draining empty, then your pushing against air on start up. A cold vapor lock until enough injector openings clear out the air. A check valve problem can cause that.

Try turning the key on first thing in the morning, and within a few seconds press on the fuel rail schrader valve. Does it pffft out a bunch of air? But, if fuel pressure drops right off after the engine is shut off... something isn't right, and it's not in the calibration.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #190
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Does it hold fuel pressure after shutting the engine off? If it doesn't, that would be a key hint. Maybe a check valve is stuck open or missing. Or a bad regulator. The check valve should be holding pressure at one end and the regulator at the other. If the regulator is regulating fuel pressure normally while running, I would think that is ok. Somehow the line is draining empty, then your pushing against air on start up. A cold vapor lock until enough injector openings clear out the air. A check valve problem can cause that.

Try turning the key on first thing in the morning, and within a few seconds press on the fuel rail schrader valve. Does it pffft out a bunch of air? But, if fuel pressure drops right off after the engine is shut off... something isn't right, and it's not in the calibration.

Tried it just now after sitting for about 16 hrs. Key on, no pressure to the gauge for about 3 minutes....no audible fuel flow thru the lines at the regulator but the pump is definitely running this whole time. At the 3 min point gauge jumps to 58psi and fuel flow is very obvious(you can hear it) at the regulator as the psi jumps. Started the car, ran for a minute shut key off and gauge immediately drops ot Zero.

No schraeder valves that i can see on the Aeromotive LS7 rails.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #191
Russell James

Sounds like the check valve is dumping the fuel right back to the tank after shut off. A leaky injector would be a slow loss of fuel pressure after pump off. All the bad regulators I've seen, cause a running PSI problem.

Or something isn't plumbed right... but that also seems like it would cause running problems.

Can you take the main fuel feed line off from the pump up in the engine compartment but before the regulator and blow air/fuel back into the tank? There should be fuel in that line after shut off, and you shouldn't be able to blow it back into the tank.

Once everything is right, the system should hold your running psi for quite a while after key off.

Just be real careful for no key ons while any lines are off. I put the keys back in the house while tinkering with
high pressure lines.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #192
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Mine does exactly what Russell said it should do (hear the fuel entering everything) almost instantly.

Have you bypassed your inline filter just to rule it out?

Or maybe the actual fuel bucket isn't able to reach the fuel for some reason. Perhaps the siphon arm didn't get attached correctly? Just brainstorming here....
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #193
Russell James

It wouldn't be a filter problem. The problem is for some reason the system is not retaining fuel pressure after key off. The pump's check valve does it on one end, and the injectors on the other. Along with a regulator on a return style.

The regulator seems to be regulating, leaky injectors would only slowly bleed off pressure (and not empty the line). It sounds like the line is emptying back to the tank, then you get a cold vapor lock on a cold start up until the injectors pulsing can clear out the line. Check valve being the most suspicious culprit. Either missing or stuck, maybe some debris got caught in it.

Or maybe something weird like the regulator not plumbed right and it is siphoning the line dry after shut off.

That's why I'd blow back down that main feed line after a shut off. You shouldn't be able to if the check valve is closing. If the check valve is closing, then I'd look into what is going on with the regulator and return side.

Also check the oil, just to make sure it isn't filling up with raw gas.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #194
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Quote:
It wouldn't be a filter problem. The problem is for some reason the system is not retaining fuel pressure after key off. The pump's check valve does it on one end, and the injectors on the other. Along with a regulator on a return style.

The regulator seems to be regulating, leaky injectors would only slowly bleed off pressure (and not empty the line). It sounds like the line is emptying back to the tank, then you get a cold vapor lock on a cold start up until the injectors pulsing can clear out the line. Check valve being the most suspicious culprit. Either missing or stuck, maybe some debris got caught in it.

Or maybe something weird like the regulator not plumbed right and it is siphoning the line dry after shut off.

That's why I'd blow back down that main feed line after a shut off. You shouldn't be able to if the check valve is closing. If the check valve is closing, then I'd look into what is going on with the regulator and return side.

Andy at Squash thinks it may be wired to the wrong pink wire on the factory FPCM connector. There are 2 pink wires in this connector. One is 20 gauge and is the ignition source and the other is 16 gauge and is "fuel low reference". He says if its the pump trigger is wired into the wrong wire the voltage is insufficient. I will pull the interior panel off on the passenger side in the back seat and see which wire the pump is getting its power from. He also said the psi drop at key off is normal??????

SNL said they never had an issue with this when they were testing the car trying to trouble shoot the original problem of reduced power mode and P0606 code
Old 01-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #195
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Quote:

Andy at Squash thinks it may be wired to the wrong pink wire on the factory FPCM connector. There are 2 pink wires in this connector. One is 20 gauge and is the ignition source and the other is 16 gauge and is "fuel pump low reference". He says if the pump trigger is wired into the wrong wire the voltage is insufficient. I will pull the interior panel off on the passenger side in the back seat and see which wire the pump is getting its power from. He also said the psi drop at key off is normal??????

SNL said they never had an issue with this when they were testing the car trying to trouble shoot the original problem of reduced power mode and P0606 code
Old 01-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #196
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

I disconnected the fuel line that comes off the front of the drivers side fuel rail. I blew into the front of the fuel rail and and gas flowed from the connection that i disconnected at this fuel rail. So this tells me that the air flowed thru the fuel rail down to the Y block and back up the line from the y block to the pass side fuel rail then into the regulator and force gas out of the disconnected drivers side fuel rail connection. See pics, so basically i blew into this front end of the drivers side fuel rail and gas flowed from the black connector at a pretty good rate. Make sense?

The way this return system is plumbed is -10 line from fuel hat to Aeromotive 40 micron filter with billet housing, -10 line to y block. 2 x -8 lines from Y block to the back of each LS7 fuel rail. 2 x -8 lines from the front of the fuel rails to each side of the Aeromotive Pro Series regulator. The a -8 return line from the bottom of the regulator back to the return port on the Squash fuel hat.
Attached Images