Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
LT5 rumors and more!

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/19/n...00-horsepower/

Well, looks like the next gen Z06 will be in my sights!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
trewyn15

Drives: 2004 Monte Carlo LS
That'll shut that one company up... Ford?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by trewyn15 View Post
It won't shut Ford up until they give the Camaro the same treatment.

I think AWD would be awesome on a 700HP vette though. That would be a lot of very expensive cars on the trailer.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
GrabberB5.Slow

Drives: 2011 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by trewyn15 View Post
I forgot Ford had a car to compete against the Vette? Lol.

Anyway, 700HP in the ZR1 sounds awesome. Can't wait to see what that could do on the track.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:24 AM   #5
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Old 02-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #6
Brutal SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
The amount of cash required to even pretend to own that machine would be insane! Just sayin... :(
Old 02-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Bring it on!
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberB5.Slow View Post
I forgot Ford had a car to compete against the Vette? Lol.
That's actually been to their benefit in recent memory IMO. They don't have to worry about intruding on the next level up (with cars such as the GT500). Chevy has to ensure they never show up the big dog for less money with the Camaro.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
That's actually been to their benefit in recent memory IMO. They don't have to worry about intruding on the next level up (with cars such as the GT500). Chevy has to ensure they never show up the big dog for less money with the Camaro.
Recent memory in the sense that they've sold more Mustangs then Camaros since both cars were out on the market? Oh wait a sec..

You can pretty much guarantee that even with a hypothetical 700hp engine this generation of Camaro OR Mustang won't show up anything more than the base model Corvette in anything besides raw HP numbers.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
I know this sounds crazy, but i dont think 700hp is enough, it has to be atleast 750hp. If it expects to compete with the lambo aventador, the next Ferrari and Porsche super cars from a performance point of view. Heck fords 5.8 with a blower makes 662, add D.I. And maybe some turbos and ford will easily be at 750hp. Dont look at hp numbers of today, look at tomorrows. Imo.

Edit: the base viper makes 640hp, you know their going to come out with more powerful versions sooner or latter.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
I know this sounds crazy, but i dont think 700hp is enough, it has to be atleast 750hp. If it expects to compete with the lambo aventador, the next Ferrari and Porsche super cars from a performance point of view. Heck fords 5.8 with a blower makes 662, add D.I. And maybe some turbos and ford will easily be at 750hp. Dont look at hp numbers of today, look at tomorrows. Imo.

Edit: the base viper makes 640hp, you know their going to come out with more powerful versions sooner or latter.

With Ferrari in the mix to build the next generation of the 8.4L for the Viper, from what I understand they are wanting to obtain the efficiency of 90 HP per liter with the engine retaining the push rod configuration. If SRT utilizes it residual sharing opportunities with Lamborghini I expect the Viper will either give way and finally incorporate an OHV config and with that and DI imagine where they will go.

The thing is GM if they do decide to release the LT5 it will probably be under rated in HP department. They usually do this just in case and have done it since the early 60s. That 700 HP engine may actually be producing 720 and capable of 760. Nobody ever knows for sure until they start tuning them.
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
It won't shut Ford up until they give the Camaro the same treatment.

I think AWD would be awesome on a 700HP vette though. That would be a lot of very expensive cars on the trailer.
AWD only helps when you've got more power than traction. The rest of the time it just slows you down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05stram View Post
With Ferrari in the mix to build the next generation of the 8.4L for the Viper, from what I understand they are wanting to obtain the efficiency of 90 HP per liter with the engine retaining the push rod configuration. If SRT utilizes it residual sharing opportunities with Lamborghini I expect the Viper will either give way and finally incorporate an OHV config and with that and DI imagine where they will go.

The thing is GM if they do decide to release the LT5 it will probably be under rated in HP department. They usually do this just in case and have done it since the early 60s. That 700 HP engine may actually be producing 720 and capable of 760. Nobody ever knows for sure until they start tuning them.
GM hasn't under-rated engines since they began using the current SAE test standard nearly a decade ago. When you advertise your engine as being SAE certified, there is a fairly narrow window that your engines have to fit in. You can go a little conservative, or a little optimistic, but they're not going to be consistently off by 10%. A certain percentage of engines have to be within a few percent of the advertised power, with the rest split roughly evenly above and below that window. I don't know what the numbers are exactly but it think its something like 80% have to be within 5%. About the most an automaker can do to 'under rate' with this system is to pick a nominal value (the advertised hp number) that is maybe 1 or 2 percent under the actual statistical average. So on 700ish hp, that works out to being under-rated by maybe 10 hp, not really anything to get excited about.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #13
_Nick_

Drives: '87 T/A, '87 IROC, '70 Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
Recent memory in the sense that they've sold more Mustangs then Camaros since both cars were out on the market? Oh wait a sec.

The Camaro was also off the market for 7 years, in addition to the current Mustang having been out for 4 years at the Camaros launch.
_Nick_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #14
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Nick_ View Post
The Camaro was also off the market for 7 years, in addition to the current Mustang having been out for 4 years at the Camaros launch.
I like turtles?