Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-25-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
SSNYSTR

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2SS
Upgraded Suspension

Question for the 1LE owners out there, how well is the stock suspension for y'all cars? I have a 2SS and it's horribly rough and bumpy over certain parts of the road. Or any ZL1 owners, I've ridin in a 2014 ZL1 and the magnetic ride control and suspension are great. Could you get the entire suspension package with magnetic ride control(or how exactly does the magnetic ride control work) for the SS? Would that even be possible? Also, anyone else out there with upgraded suspension, feel free to chime in with your setups/opinions on what's the best and how smooth the ride is for you.

Thanks
SSNYSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
I have a 1LE. I think that when it comes to ride, it can be considered subjective, as each person may have a different opinion on what is rough.

That being said, my 1LE hits bumps and potholes better than my 2002 Saturn SL2 econobox. I would describe the 1LE as firm, yet compliant. I have zero complaints on its ride and I am frankly amazed that a car that handles exceptionally as the 1LE does can be (IMHO) so nice on the street. And where I live, the Laurel Mountains of west-central PA, winters are brutal on our roads.

What tires do you have on your 2011? Sometimes tires can be part of a problem with ride.

Good vid on how MRC works

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagneRide

Realistically, adding the ZL1's MRC suspension would be expensive, not to mention it has to be integrated into the body control and powertrain control modules. It would be lots of work that may be far beyond the average car guy skills.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:34 PM   #3
SSNYSTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
I have a 1LE. I think that when it comes to ride, it can be considered subjective, as each person may have a different opinion on what is rough.

That being said, my 1LE hits bumps and potholes better than my 2002 Saturn SL2 econobox. I would describe the 1LE as firm, yet compliant. I have zero complaints on its ride and I am frankly amazed that a car that handles exceptionally as the 1LE does can be (IMHO) so nice on the street. And where I live, the Laurel Mountains of west-central PA, winters are brutal on our roads.

What tires do you have on your 2011? Sometimes tires can be part of a problem with ride.

Good vid on how MRC works

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagneRide

Realistically, adding the ZL1's MRC suspension would be expensive, not to mention it has to be integrated into the body control and powertrain control modules. It would be lots of work that may be far beyond the average car guy skills.
I'm a big guy. 6'5 350, so already when I hit a bump, my head it's he roof. I feel like I go over a rough part in the road and it's terrible in my car. On the rear, I have Nitto NT555R's 305's 20" and on the front, I have BF Goodrich g force sport comp 2 245's 20"
Old 02-25-2015, 11:00 PM   #4
Assassinx1

Drives: Corvettec5
I hate how bad the 2ss rides. It's the only part of the car I hate. I've been contemplating coil over suspensions with double adjustable shocks to fix it.
Assassinx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:54 AM   #5
SSNYSTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassinx1 View Post
I hate how bad the 2ss rides. It's the only part of the car I hate. I've been contemplating coil over suspensions with double adjustable shocks to fix it.
I just want to get something that won't make my car ride so rough.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:05 PM   #6
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
You won't be able to put mag ride on your SS. The wiring harnesses are not there & the BCM (Body Control Module) is different. Mag ride is really one of those things you just need to get from the factory if you want it.

So if you look around you might be able to upgrade to a ZL1 for a decent price. I've started seeing used ones for very low 40K's.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #7
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Op,
I am not sure what you are referring to-
are you saying that your 2SS has to firm of a suspension?
The firmer it is the more bumps you will feel, but this is a sports car so I can see what you mean.

Did you buy your car used? It is possible that somebody upgraded the suspension.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:05 PM   #8
Assassinx1

Drives: Corvettec5
I've been doing a lot of research. Seams it's possible to do two thing cheap remove rear sway bar compley. Secondly swap to v6 rear springs. And shocks. Expensive side double adjustable coil overs with 350 lbs 12" springs.
Assassinx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #9
SSNYSTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
Op,
I am not sure what you are referring to-
are you saying that your 2SS has to firm of a suspension?
The firmer it is the more bumps you will feel, but this is a sports car so I can see what you mean.

Did you buy your car used? It is possible that somebody upgraded the suspension.
I'm guessing it's too firm, I feel lots of bumps. I did buy my car used, but it was from a dealership, so I'm not sure of who owned it before me and if they had done any upgrades. I doubt they would have though, there was only 5,700 miles on my car when I got it.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #10
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
What is your tire pressure?

Tires and Wheels have a big impact (no pun) on how the bumps harshness is transferred to the car.

1LE parts will make it worse, they are geared towards performance over comfort.

It's hard to tell from the small pic, but it almost looks like your car is lowered too.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #11
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
get a set of coilovers that way you can set it soft or hard
Old 02-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #12
SSNYSTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
What is your tire pressure?

Tires and Wheels have a big impact (no pun) on how the bumps harshness is transferred to the car.

1LE parts will make it worse, they are geared towards performance over comfort.

It's hard to tell from the small pic, but it almost looks like your car is lowered too.
In the summer, I had my tires set to 35psi. And now with the colder weather, they've dropped a few psi. So they're about 32-33 right now If I had to guess. I also have the replica ZL1 wheels. I've always thought my car seemed lowered already too. I scrape on things when other people say they have no problem. I would like to get in touch with the previous owner to ask.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:36 PM   #13
SSNYSTR

But when you get up close, I don't find it seems lowered.

This is random and off topic, but how do you get rid of the yellow bar on top of the pictures?
Old 02-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #14
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
To get rid of the yellow bar your pictures need to be resized to be smaller than 800px wide.

In the bigger pics it doesn't look lowered, damn small pics, lol
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote