Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-27-2018, 04:53 PM   #1
SaGa

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 2LT I4
Blown Engine on I4?

Currently having some problems with the Maro, Car has a misfire cylinder 1 (P0301 this is before changing spark plugs, car still sounds like misfiring/my car is cammed now? Spark plugs are changed now) Cylinder 1 spark plug was burnt out. Engine shakes entire car, service stabilitrak, oil pressure is all the way up.
Battery also died completely (already changed it problems still occurring)
I have full bolt on and tune- 303 hp 330 trq

Randomly happened. Next step is reflashing the tune, if that doesn’t work off to mechanic for internal check.

Possible problems iv been told include: Alternator, ECU, coil, valve, heads, oil pump gear, honestly too many to remember.

Possible 2019 Turbo 1LE?

Any suggestions let me know I will upload a video and CEL codes in a little.
SaGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:33 PM   #2
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
OOOh, sounds bad. put it back to stock.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:15 PM   #3
nightfallcamaro

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Grey Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaGa View Post
Currently having some problems with the Maro, Car has a misfire cylinder 1 (P0301 this is before changing spark plugs, car still sounds like misfiring/my car is cammed now? Spark plugs are changed now) Cylinder 1 spark plug was burnt out. Engine shakes entire car, service stabilitrak, oil pressure is all the way up.

Randomly happened. Next step is reflashing the tune, if that doesn’t work off to mechanic for internal check.

Possible problems iv been told include: Alternator, ECU, coil, valve, heads, oil pump gear, honestly too many to remember.

Possible 2019 Turbo 1LE?

Any suggestions let me know I will upload a video and CEL codes in a little.
You poor thing, I hope you can get that fixed soon man.

https://www.instagram.com/nightfallcamaro/

nightfallcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
SaGa

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 2LT I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfallcamaro View Post
You poor thing, I hope you can get that fixed soon man.
<3
SaGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:15 AM   #5
suzook

Drives: camaro
I think your issue is calling it Maro.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:54 PM   #6
Kevin_S17

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 Vert Summit White
Engine being replaced

Quote:

Randomly happened. Next step is reflashing the tune, if that doesn’t work off to mechanic for internal check
I have a 2017 2.0T that was purchased new in July 2018. Around 2k miles I heard what I thought was a knock at RPMs above 5k. Around 3k miles I was hearing knock around 4k RPMs. At 3800 miles I was driving at 60 mph and the car backfired, then threw the same code as you as well as service stabilitrak. I remember thinking there is no way I have an engine issue. Oil looked good, all gauges read within normal limits, engine was producing good power, OBD reader showed minimal knock.

I checked the log of the engine after the CEL. It showed misfire in cylinder 1. Turns out the piston in cylinder 1 came apart due to a ring issue. GM sent an engine tech to check the motor. They found that the cylinder wall was scored so badly they had to replace the engine.

It will be 4 weeks on Thursday since I’ve even seen my car. I’m guessing you have the same issue.

Reflash your stock tune and take off your bolt on (assuming it’s a CAI). Get ready to replace your motor. I know your pain. Hang in there.
Kevin_S17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #7
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Your describing LSPI (Low Speed Pre-Ignition) that occurs when a cheap syn blend oil is used by the dealer instead of a premium full synthetic. What occurs is oil vapors along with raw fuel get behind the compression ring and ignite. This explosion breaks the piston at the ring land. Amsoil signature series and Mobil 1 as well as most brand names now have a new formulation to render these vapors less volatile. GM had the pistons made thicker in the area prone to failure after the first 2 years the 2.0T was released in the ATS but did nothing else to address the cause. The failure rate is far less than the initial design. Our catchcan system design just for these eliminates this as well.

Here is an example of what occurs:

First is an example of just the land broken. Engine still ran fine but started using excessive oil:

This is a more severe example where cylinder wall was damaged beyond repair so engine replacement was warranted:

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:54 PM   #8
Kevin_S17

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 Vert Summit White
Quote:
How is it going? Any news?
Kevin_S17 is offline   Reply With Quote