Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #15
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
All you need for the perfect car finish:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/

Their products are a little pricey, but they have a 100% satisfaction gaurantee (which I've tested), and they work as described. Some of the best detailing products I've ever used and I've used a bunch. These guys think of everything.

I use their clay bar with my random orbital, their machine polish 2 and 3, and their paint sealant once a year on all my vehicles to keep them looking like new.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #16
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Would the factory Camaro's machine painted look anything like this hand painted and color sanded black? Are they machine color sanded at factory at all? Just curious.. I too would like ot know what products were used as well to get this shine as it is the best I've ever seen on a black car before.. Also would it be possible to get a mirror shine like this with the cyber grey as I've never seen one freshly waxed in person ???
Factory built cars are not color sanded and buffed. It takes too much time and effort. They may buff out a blemish here or there but never the entire car.

It would be interesting to make color sanding and buffing an option though, wouldn't it ? They could put a few extra coats of clear on the car and send it to a shop that color sands and polishes it. I'd pay an extra $1,500 for that option.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:32 AM   #17
Eich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
All you need for the perfect car finish:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/

Their products are a little pricey, but they have a 100% satisfaction gaurantee (which I've tested), and they work as described. Some of the best detailing products I've ever used and I've used a bunch. These guys think of everything.

I use their clay bar with my random orbital, their machine polish 2 and 3, and their paint sealant once a year on all my vehicles to keep them looking like new.
That will make the finish you have look like new. But it won't give you the perfect finish.

The only way to get close to a "perfect" finish is to "color" sand and polish out all the orange peel and other imperfections. I put color in quotes becuase you're only sanding the clear coat on modern finishes.

Sanding and buffing the clear normally requires more coats of clear than what the factory puts on. Otherwise, you risk going through the clear. And sometimes by the time the car is delivered to you, the clear has hardened so much that it's difficult to sand and polish. Some clear coats have a limited window of time where it's best to do the sanding and polishing.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #18
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post
That will make the finish you have look like new. But it won't give you the perfect finish.

The only way to get close to a "perfect" finish is to "color" sand and polish out all the orange peel and other imperfections. I put color in quotes becuase you're only sanding the clear coat on modern finishes.

Sanding and buffing the clear normally requires more coats of clear than what the factory puts on. Otherwise, you risk going through the clear. And sometimes by the time the car is delivered to you, the clear has hardened so much that it's difficult to sand and polish. Some clear coats have a limited window of time where it's best to do the sanding and polishing.
I'll agree with you for a show car, for a car that's actually gonna be driven though......that's a lot of expense to go to for the dings and chips you'll pick up from just driving.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:01 PM   #19
Eich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
I'll agree with you for a show car, for a car that's actually gonna be driven though......that's a lot of expense to go to for the dings and chips you'll pick up from just driving.
True - but everyone is asking how that Black Camaro above looks so flawless, smooth and incredibly shiny. I'm betting it was color sanded and polished - not painted on a factory assembly line.

The dings and chips are one reason I avoid black cars anymore. They look great when new and all polished up. But after just short time driving, the areas behind the wheels look sandblasted. I guess that's why companies like 3M came out with clear protective stickers.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #20
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:

you a part right. get a show finish on the car, clay the whole vehical and ad the polish and shine it up. Zaino products are prefured here.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #21
Eich

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13F20 View Post
you a part right. get a show finish on the car, clay the whole vehical and ad the polish and shine it up. Zaino products are prefured here.
I clay & polish my car every year. Doesn't make the finish any better than a new finish. Clay bars don't remove or smooth out paint, they remove contaminants stuck to the paint.

The only way to get close to a perfect, show car type of finish is to color sand the orange peel and other imperfections out. Color sanding levels out orange peel and gives you the ability to get that glass or mirror-like surface.

I'm pretty sure that the black Camaro shown in the beginning of this thread was not painted on a factory assembly line without any kind of color sanding and polishing.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #22
GameOver620

Drives: 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer
i would love to get this car in black but i'm kind of ocd when it comes to how things look. so i'll probably be killing myself trying to keep it clean.
GameOver620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #23
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Factory built cars are not color sanded and buffed. It takes too much time and effort. They may buff out a blemish here or there but never the entire car.

It would be interesting to make color sanding and buffing an option though, wouldn't it ? They could put a few extra coats of clear on the car and send it to a shop that color sands and polishes it. I'd pay an extra $1,500 for that option.
Same here, I would pay extra for that option as well...
Old 10-08-2008, 02:38 PM   #24
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
Quote:

The dings and chips are one reason I avoid black cars anymore. They look great when new and all polished up. But after just short time driving, the areas behind the wheels look sandblasted. I guess that's why companies like 3M came out with clear protective stickers.
3M clear protective stickers???
i need to look into that...

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #25
JameSS

Drives: Past SS Owner~Future SS Owner
Very easy to obtain, just takes time and LOTS and LOTS of coats of ZAINO!!!

You will obtain that mirror finish you are looking for. This is without a doubt the best stuff I have used.

Here is the link: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
JameSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #26
ctk1
Camarofanatic

Drives: 1969 SS, 1998 RS, 2010 VR 2SS/RS
Not soo easy, I guarantee there was a TON of wetsanding, and even more buffing! Hard work and not cheap to do.
ctk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #27
JameSS

Drives: Past SS Owner~Future SS Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk1 View Post
Not soo easy, I guarantee there was a TON of wetsanding, and even more buffing! Hard work and not cheap to do.
Gaurantee you I can get that same look with several coats of Zaino.

Mind you I have to go through the whole process: clay bar, z1, z5, gloss enchancer, grand finale spray...etc.... you do this over and over and you will start to achieve that Mirror look. I am sure some die hard Zaino users here can vouch for this.
JameSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:43 PM   #28
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JameSS View Post
Gaurantee you I can get that same look with several coats of Zaino.

Mind you I have to go through the whole process: clay bar, z1, z5, gloss enchancer, grand finale spray...etc.... you do this over and over and you will start to achieve that Mirror look. I am sure some die hard Zaino users here can vouch for this.
i may be convinced. i read most of their products page and it sounds amazing. so maybe it will not match/exceed the color sanding finish, but it looks like it sure gets results.
thanks for the link

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote