Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Putting Whipple on stock LS3 w/40K miles

I've wanted to put a Whipple in my 2010 LS3 M6 for a long time, but haven't been able to scrape up the cash so far. I've got a good prospect of getting some $$$ soon and thought about pulling the trigger.

How long would my stock bottom end LS3 last if I start supercharging now with 40,000 miles on the motor? I don't drive balls out much, if ever, but do like to redline it at least once or twice a week to blow the carbon out.

Would I be better off starting with a forged short block, or just FI my stocker now and wait for it to blow--THEN get the forged motor? Would I be destroying the core value of my stocker if it blows up in a big way? Seems like a waste of labor time and $$$ to put a blower cam in the stock block, then have to do it again if it blows and replace the cam in the forged motor.

Appreciate any advice.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
As long as your tune is a good one and you have plenty of fuel delivery and good octane gas and keep it at 9 psi or under your motor will last a long long time. I have seen people put D1SC's on stock Ls1's with over 100k miles on them and beat the crap out of them and the motor just keeps on ticking. Remember tune,octane,fuel,and psi. Keep all of these in check and you should not have any problems. Add 50/50 meth to that mix for even more safety. I will go out on a limb here and say if you added the Whipple with a 4.00" pulley, ZR1 MAP, ZL1 fuel pump, ID-850 injectors, 93 octane good gas, 50/50 meth, tuned and installed by one of the top shops in the country that you could not break the motor even if you tried (so long as you kept up with good maintenance of course)
Old 08-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
Tune and the proper supporting mods are key.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #4
SixGracing

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
As long as your tune is a good one and you have plenty of fuel delivery and good octane gas and keep it at 9 psi or under your motor will last a long long time. I have seen people put D1SC's on stock Ls1's with over 100k miles on them and beat the crap out of them and the motor just keeps on ticking. Remember tune,octane,fuel,and psi. Keep all of these in check and you should not have any problems. Add 50/50 meth to that mix for even more safety. I will go out on a limb here and say if you added the Whipple with a 4.00" pulley, ZR1 MAP, ZL1 fuel pump, ID-850 injectors, 93 octane good gas, 50/50 meth, tuned and installed by one of the top shops in the country that you could not break the motor even if you tried (so long as you kept up with good maintenance of course)
+1
Old 08-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Thanks for the replies so far. Keep 'em coming. I guess my biggest question is if I grenade the stock motor, including crack the block, it's really not worth anything more than the scrap value of the metal pieces is it? Anything less than block destruction I could still salvage some core value?