Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
quualudes

Drives: 2015 1SS 1LE MPP
Suspension upgrades - front or rear first?

I have these Pedders items going into my ride:

Front:
Radius Arm bushings
Steering rack bushing
ZL1 front sway upgrade

Rear:
Cradle bushings
Diff bushings
ZL1 rear sway upgrade

No coilovers yet, so the car isn't getting lowered... Xa's will come after I get the money fairy to deposit some paychecks in the bank...

My question is: Assuming I wanted to divide the front and rear suspension work between different weekends, would there be any issues with me doing the front first and then doing the rear a week or two later? Or would the rear first be a better option?

Or should I just suck it up and do it all at the same time?

I think I have a handle on what needs to be done, but the front seems like a good place to cut my teeth before working on the rear (since the rear will likely be a much more involved job with the diff bushings and cradle bushing)

I guess I am mostly worried about having the new sway bar up front but still having the stock sway bar in the rear. To be honest, I only drive 2 miles to work, so I am unlikely going to run into a dangerous situation at 35-40 mph, but...

Thanks all!!!
quualudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
RatRacer

Drives: 11 Synergy Green LS 15 Colorado Z71
Well, they say that it's easier to get to the rack bushing with the sway out of the way. Full bushings or inserts on the radius and cradle bushings?

Did you get rear Brembo's to clear the rear ZL sways?
RatRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Front will be quicker to do first, the diff and craddle bushing will be a pain. And no you wont notice anything with just having the front sway bar on only unless your on a track or autocross on the street with normal driving you wont even know you have a different bar on
Old 01-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
quualudes

RatRacer: I am doing full bushings for the radius rods, diffs and cradles.

ICTsccaCamaro: Thanks for the input!! That's pretty much what I needed to hear - doing the front first won't unbalance my car too much if I need to take a week or two to get around to the rear. Since I have no desire to spend $1300+ for installation labor, I figured the front would give me enough confidence to tackle the rear. Thankfully, I am mechanically inclined, but I've never done suspension work before, so I am proceeding with caution.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
quualudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
Did you get rear Brembo's to clear the rear ZL sways?
JusticePete says I should be fine with my stock brakes, but he wants pictures of sways installed with the wheels at full sag. If I understand correctly, the clearance issues are only a concern if the rear end reaches that point AND the brake pads are low. In my case, I am at 1100 miles on a new car and I have a brake upgrade on my near-term upgrade list, so I likely won't see that corner-case.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:12 AM   #6
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
I did my front a few days before the rear and I didnt have any issues. I actually didnt push it till I got it aligned. you are going to be super happy with those mods.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by quualudes View Post
JusticePete says I should be fine with my stock brakes, but he wants pictures of sways installed with the wheels at full sag. If I understand correctly, the clearance issues are only a concern if the rear end reaches that point AND the brake pads are low. In my case, I am at 1100 miles on a new car and I have a brake upgrade on my near-term upgrade list, so I likely won't see that corner-case.
We ran our zl1 sways with stock v6 brakes for a while and even autocrosses multiple times with no issues, checked at full drop and check at much bump as posible and never saw the rear sway bar get close to the banjo bolt at the caliper
Old 01-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by quualudes View Post
Please share your photos!
Thanks.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
Richy_Rich
FAVOR

Drives: Many Different Rides
Do both at once, if not, your car will be very unsetteled.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
you will be fine either way on a 2013 1LE,
The front will be way faster than the front, and you can do it with out altering the alignment too much.

When you do the rear you will need a lot more time,

so if the first weekend you have tons of time, tackle the rear, if you are limited on time, do the front.
any problems while doing the install text or call me,
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote