Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 02-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #253
coolcamaroZ28
Camaro Addict

Drives: 2010SS/1995 Z28/2005 CTSV/2007 TBSS
I just finished everything up and have to say it looks GREAT! Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and were bold enough to go first! Still got some tweaking to do, but looks so much better than just the doors...

coolcamaroZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #254
camarorick

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcamaroZ28 View Post
I just finished everything up and have to say it looks GREAT! Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and were bold enough to go first! Still got some tweaking to do, but looks so much better than just the doors...

Cool, looks AMAZING !!
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:26 AM   #255
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
congrats! Looks great!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:28 AM   #256
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Well, I decided to go back and try the ABL light pipe. The reason why? The El Wire would kind of ....get bunched up in the tube as I strung it through. I tried pulling on the wire from both ends to try and straighten it out, but that never really worked. So, even though it was a beautiful light, I think I got overjoyed at just seeing the light up there again and didn't pay attention to the cleanliness of the light. So, I pulled the EW and tube from the backer of the inserts. Off they came. I installed the passenger side ABL stick. LOOKED BEAUTIFUL. I have to say, IMHO, this is the way to go for a cleaner look (in MY case).

Then, I quickly realized I could not find the driver side stick. So?....I ordered a brand new digi-key light pipe. Came in Friday. Going to re-cut and install tomorrow. Now I have extra el wire stuff....guess I'll use it to light up a few other things. I still have plans to wire the trunk and glove box. I'd also love to do the homelink mod.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:14 PM   #257
SSTony

Drives: SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to SSTony
i got a question about el wire before i buy it. lets say i buy 10 ft of el wire. i cut 1 foot off of it and weld the connector to the one end. what happens to the other end? wont it be an end with power running through it that can short out?
Old 02-15-2010, 03:02 AM   #258
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

From what I understand, no. You have to actually shave down the phosphorous to get bare metal (this is what you will do when you solder it). But, even IF the end touched metal in a way...well, in what situation COULD it ever touch metal? When it's behind the dash, you have plastic (some polymer type) on either end of the insert for both sides. There IS nothing for it to his that would even cause a short.

No...I honestly can't think of any scenario where the end of the el wire is going to touch anything. besides, you can always tape off that unused end for piece of mind.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #259
2010Inferno

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
My car does not have that power source can the mod still be done?
2010Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #260
FwyFlyer

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010Inferno View Post
My car does not have that power source can the mod still be done?
See posts #246 & #251 in this thread.
FwyFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #261
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
FwyFlyer:

Since you have the IOM interior, which EL wire is used (orange or red). I looked through the threads and couldn't find the info and guys at elwireonline didn't know anything other than the blue. Also since my car is away - can you tell me how many feet I should order for ABL and footwells. If you only did ABLs, I can check with Icntdrv55 regarding footwells.

Thanks
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #262
FwyFlyer

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
EL wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue70SS View Post
FwyFlyer:

Since you have the IOM interior, which EL wire is used (orange or red). I looked through the threads and couldn't find the info and guys at elwireonline didn't know anything other than the blue. Also since my car is away - can you tell me how many feet I should order for ABL and footwells. If you only did ABLs, I can check with Icntdrv55 regarding footwells.

Thanks
I installed the red. I can't say I'm 100% happy with the color match to the doors though. It is ok, but I wish I hadn't sanded anything first to see the color/brightness before I installed it. It does light up the entire length of the dash, it's just a little on the orange-ish side. I'm still playing around with the ABL and have a few things I am going to try, including retrying the GM light tube again with two bulbs on the passerger side.
I bought 15 feet of EL wire and two 4 foot inverters. You can branch off of each converter to multiple places as long as you don't exceed the length spec of the inverter. I did both sides with just one inverter. I want to do the footwells also but I don't think the red wire will throw enough light.
I have one inverter and enough of the red wire left to do another dash if you want to try it before ordering. Also if you need connectors I can make you up what ever you need harness wise.
If this weekend's run happens you can check mine out.
Rick
FwyFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #263
5THGENRS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT RS, 08 IOM G8 GT, 87ta
pictures of these purples wires would be great. my question to you guys is if i get the orange interior trim and do the orange lights would that look a little funny?
2500 = Preferenced (1/12/2010)
3000 = Accepted by Production (1/13/2010) TPW = (2/8/2010)
3100 = Sequenced (1/29/2010)
3300 = Scheduled (1/29/2010)
3400 = Broadcast (1/29/2010)
3800 = Produced (2/10/2010) VIN # 2G1FG1EVXA9192608
4150 = Invoiced (2/11/2010)
4200 = Shipped (2/12/2010)
5000 = Delivered to Dealer (2/24/2010)
6000 = Delivered to Customer (3/1/2010)
5THGENRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #264
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Orange lights go with the orange interior...that's the way it goes.

Fwyflyer, after doing all the el wire stuff myself, I decided on doing the same thing you are comtemplating...doing two wires on the passenger side. Let me tell you, it's MUCH better that way. I am goign to try to finish sanding up the new passenger side applique (3rd one I've done) and get it installed with pix. We'll see.

But, the El Wire all came out. And, now I can't do what I had in mind for the trunk with the el wire because I realized it's not that bright and I'm going to need a LOT of of to really light up the trunk. I don't know...guess I'll go back to using it all for the glove box or soemthing.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #265
DustinK

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I've started looking at this mod again... and I'm very, very tempted to follow through now. Seeing how perfect those of you with the standard ABL got everything to come out almost makes me regret getting the IO trim... almost

After seeing the pictures of those who have attempted this with the IO trim I'm just not 100% sold on it yet.
FwyFlyer: You mention that you're not 100% happy with the red EL wire -- how close would you say the match is? Think the orange would be too much?

Has anyone had any brilliant revelations on how to make the sanded line not look so noticeable during the day with the IO trim? It doesn't look that bad from what I've seen but it's certainly more noticeable than with the silver installs.

I would really love to find the perfect solution to Dash ABL with the IOM trim -- especially at this price point... I'm not just entirely sure that we've found that here just yet.
DustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #266
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Oh, crap...I completely forgot to get this started back up!

Ok. I completely refinished my dash ABL. I mean...I ordered a new passenger side trim and all.

I kinda found the key in doing the dash ABL.

Basically, to have a smooth and even light go all the way across, you need to use two light sources on the passenger side. In other words, but 3 GM lights and use one on the left side w/ the 4" or so light stick. Then, use a normal GM light on the left side of the passenger side light stick and actually the other light will have to be modified.

Left is normal.

The right light needs to be taken apart. Use a screwdriver and break off the black plastic casing. You will then show two wires going to a clear LED (blue LED). Make sure you tape off the two wires so they don't cross and blow the light when you hook it up. I used electrical tape to tape each wire separately and then taped them back together. It covered the exposed wires.

Then, you need to fish that light through the last hole in the far right of the passenger dash (from the backside to the frontside). Push the LED into that plastic tubing the other member was talking about (I got mine at Home Depot other wise known as flex tube .... I got the smallest size they had). I had about a quarter inch of the flex tube, slid it over the light and then slid the other end over the light stick which holds the LED against the light stick. Then, I used electrical tape to tape around that light (if you don't it will be bright as HECK!). ...and it will NOT look good having the glaring light super bright at the end of the dash (yes, you could put the plastic casing back on, but it would not fit behind the trim once put back on).

So, you have the light hooked up on the right and left side (take off the right side dash cover to get better access to the hole and all. Oh, and fish tht wire all the way through the dash. I used my old light pipe for that (bought new stuff so it would not have the oils from my fingers all over it....it's CLEAN!!!!!).

After getting both sides hooked up, GENTLY put the dash part back on from the LEFT side of the trim FIRST. Snap it one at a time....

I say the left side first because you can adjust the light pipe by twisting it (through the center gauge area w/ the gauges removed). As you get closer to the right side, you can reach in there and adjust a bit as well. Ultimately, you are going to be holding the wires from inside the dash pulling and pushing on them just a tiny bit to make sure the stick is in the perfect place for YOU. After getting that worked out, reach in the center gauge area and push the stick in a bit so it slides as far to the right as it can go. Make sure it's twisted in the right direction for you to give you the most uniformed light (from dash to doors) possible.

The last thing I want is to get the light to be the same brightness as the doors. The only way of achieving that is to paint a tiny layer over the sanded part on the dash parts OR sanding down the ABL parts on teh doors completely.

My dash ABL ROCKS. LOVE IT