Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Swytch

Drives: 10 2SS/RS Black, 99 Daktota
Which LED's should I get?

Hi all, a quick question for the lighting guru's out there. I need some help finding the right LED's for my project. I plan to use Red LED's to add dash-abl as well as change out and extend the GM ABL in the door panels. I already have the light pipe and other various supplies. I have read on here that the GM lights for the IOM interior use a red bulb. If I am changing all of the LED's anyway and not matching IOM abl already in the doors should are the GM LED's worth the extra money? I have looked around on some websites for 5mm led's and the only problem there is almost all of them lack the appropriate resistor and also the reviews tend to give mixed reactions about lifespan and light output. Anyone here have any suggestions? Any sponsors offer something that's reasonably priced compared to the GM units?

Thanks in advance all,

-Jake
Kooks Signature Series Headers 1-3/4 stepped to 1 7/8, Kooks 3" High Flow Cats, Vararam OTR Cold Air Intake, JRE Performance Tune, RX Catch Can, RX Oil Breather, LSR Tri-Ax short throw shifter, AAC Red/White Halos and Fog Rings, AAC Knight Rider Scanner Bar

Swytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
Kendell347
Doc

Drives: BLACKOUT & Fifty
If you want to match the coloration, stick with the GM LEDs. If you start going around and replacing LEDs with outside sources theres a chance that the wavelengths (nm) will be different (resulting in different colors).
1100-7/20/2009 * 6000-2/4/10 Proud Owner of Autographed Litho # 1282010 Camaro 2 SS/RS - BLACKOUT & 2017 Camaro 2 SS - 50th Anniversary #894 WWW. NY5THGEN.COM
Kendell347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Swytch

Drives: 10 2SS/RS Black, 99 Daktota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendell347 View Post
If you want to match the coloration, stick with the GM LEDs. If you start going around and replacing LEDs with outside sources theres a chance that the wavelengths (nm) will be different (resulting in different colors).

Hmm, thanks, I follow that. Like I said though, not sure what else would match as I dont have the IOM lighting package currently. I plan to replace the Aqua Blue LED's completely with red ones. Has anyone used non-stock red LEDs to do either of those mods that might have pics? I would assume if I order them all at the same time from the same vendor the color should at least be the same between them..
Kooks Signature Series Headers 1-3/4 stepped to 1 7/8, Kooks 3" High Flow Cats, Vararam OTR Cold Air Intake, JRE Performance Tune, RX Catch Can, RX Oil Breather, LSR Tri-Ax short throw shifter, AAC Red/White Halos and Fog Rings, AAC Knight Rider Scanner Bar

Swytch is offline   Reply With Quote