Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
trooper182

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT yellow non RS
Having a CHP paid off big

I have always been an advocate of gun rights and being able to conceal carry a weapon. I know lots of people that say people that carry guns are paranoid and you are safer not having a gun. Well my 250 dollars for my permit paid off.

So yesterday I was at a local festival with my family. My wife's niece is down visiting for the summer. A little background, my wife is white and I am black. My niece is also white (yes race played a issue in this.) So we are having a great time at the festival just minding our own business when these 3 teens start to harass my teenage niece. I will not get into some of the words they were using but they were obviously intoxicated or on the verge of it. I polity but sternly told them I did not like the way they were talking to her and being disrespectful to not only us but also to other families that were there. Some derogatory words and threats on there part were exchanged. They started in on how black (not the word used) people should stick to there own kind. Eventually someone made a comment that they were going to notify the police that were patrolling the fair grounds. This spooked the guys enough that they backed off and I figured it was time for use to go ahead and leave.

So we start to head out to the parking lot and we make it to the camaro. First thing I did was open the drivers side door and retrieve my Kimber ultra covert II as there was a big sign that stated no firearms allowed in the fair. After my weapon was safely concealed on me I started to pack up my 2 year old son's stroller while my wife got him buckled in and my niece got in. Next thing I know the same punk ass teens are about 5 cars down and a row in front of me yelling at me. I have a Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran and a RIP sticker for one of my fallen battle buddies on the back of my car and one of the ass hats starts yelling crap about how soldiers are wimps (not the word he used) and other crap. I chose to ignore them and decided to close the trunk and leave. Well that is when things went from bad to worse. One of the teens decided to retrieve a piece of old scrap metal from the back of his friends truck and made a statement of "it would suck if something were to happen to your car" and started to approach me.

So I tell the guy that he is not going to like where this is going to end up and asked him to back off. Well I guess that made him even more mad and he starts to walk toward me faster. I could tell from his body language this guy was more than likely going to try something. Left me no choice but to draw my weapon. Never seen someones eyes and attitude change that fast. Well at that point his friends are yelling at him to get into the truck. He starts to back up and next thing I know I hear the local PD yelling at both of us to drop our weapons (more so at me.) So I released my aim on the guy and lowered my gun and placed it on the ground. Other guy drops the metal and next thing I know we are both in cuffs. Meanwhile his buddies that were in the truck try to pull out of their parking spot and in there rush backed into another car. More police run up and get them. So now I am standing in cuffs while the police start to question us. Apparently someone else in the lot saw the guy grab the metal out of the truck and ran to get the police. Well I explain to them what happened and I told them that I have a permit to carry. So they get my wallet and run my background and see that I am clear and that I am in the military. Some other people that were in the parking lot also backed up what I told them. So end the end the guy got charged with a bunch of things along with his friends including dwi. The police ran my gun and gave it back to me and let me go on my way. They gave me kudos for doing everything right and appreciated me following their directions and not arguing with them when they placed me in cuffs. So I guess we will see where all of this will go.

There really is no way to say how the situation may have turned out if I did not have my gun. It seemed like it lasted forever from the time I drew my weapon to the time the police ran up but from what the police said they were about 100 yards away and saw me draw my weapon but could not see the other person as a car was blocking him. I had my family with me and hate to think what may have happened if I did not carry my gun. Some people carry because they think that a gun is a end all situation thing. I know that is not the case. Looking back I think I was lucky because I did not know if maybe these guys had a gun in there truck even though I had them in plain view. The last thing I want to have to do is take a life but like I told myself and my guys over my last three deployments, at the end of the day I am going to go home and be with my family and if taking another life is something I must do to accomplish that goal... I give credit to the police for being there and doing their job but I refuse to solely rely on them for my protection. If you carry make sure you know the law and follow it and always follow the orders given to you by LEO's and you will not have any issues. Sorry if I posted in the wrong area but this may help someone else if they are ever in a situation like mine.
Staff Sergeant U.S. Army 13B Gun Bunny. 2011 Camaro 1LT A6 Mods: Pypes bomb V8 exhaust, Magnaflow x-pipe, resonator delete, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax Black Ice-olator, Elite Engineering catch can, painted engine cover and fuse box cover, 3dCarbon Front Fender Vents, Street Scene Front Splitter, ZL1 Side Rockers, Anvil Notch Rear Spoiler, interior/engine bay LED lights, two JL Audio W3's 10" and 1000w kenwood amp
trooper182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
First off, I am sorry this happened to you and your family. There is absolutely no excuse for this type of behavior. However, drawing your weapon in this situation seems a little much IMHO.
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Very smart and well played my friend!
I also spent 10 years in the Army, I was involved in Desert storm so I also thank you for your service.
I have three Kimbers and I and my wife both have our carry permits. My wife carries all the time, and I carry occasionally.
I picked up a Kimber Ultra carry and my wife used it for her class, she liked it so much...I had to buy another for me!!
You did everything right. Good for you and for taking your and your families security into your own hands and exercising good judgement and control.
America needs a LOT more level headed people like you.

Edit: They legalized "brandishing" in Utah a few years back, so this action would have been perfectly legal.
I take the security of my family much more seriously, I will draw sooner if my family is with me than I would if they were not.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
You can back me up anytime, good job.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
LS3 Handler
I love the LS3

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS Manual
You are a fine upstanding person if I ever heard of one. What you did sounded exactly like what I would have done. I also conceal carry legally. Your the LEO's cant always be everywhere but as long as you didn't commit a crime you have nothing to worry about and I have found that if I give an LEO respect he will respect me back. Yes I know there is always a story of that one jerk but there's one in every crowd.

And I Thank You and all of our military for all the service you have provided to keep this country safe and im sorry that an incident like this had to happen to you and your family.
LS3 Handler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
bdsdnfam
NoJoken

Drives: Synergy Green SS
I support the fact of him drawing his weapon and prepared to take it to the next level. The world has changed, people have changed and these punks are part of the reason we now feel that it's necessary to protect ourselves and our families. There just isn't respect for people the way there used to be. I carry legally and I hope I never have to pull my weapon. But if someone's coming at me or my family with any type of weapon I will not hesitate. Good job and God bless Trooper182.
bdsdnfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
TSW

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT Coup
Ya you should have let him beat you with that piece of metal and spit blood on him instead !
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarowa View Post
First off, I am sorry this happened to you and your family. There is absolutely no excuse for this type of behavior. However, drawing your weapon in this situation seems a little much IMHO.
Lol of course these type of people would show up in here.

Good job OP. There would be a lot less problems if all the good samaritans were armed. You handled yourself well and thank you for your service.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
Don't think drawing your weapon was a little much, those guys were out to cause you trouble and probably would have damaged your car to incite a fight with you. I would have drawn my weapon in that situation also. Punks are bad enough, drunk punks are worst.
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
jerryglg00

Drives: 2015 blue 1LE
no this is not too much.good job OP.to keep your family safe, and following LEO commands. thanks for your service
jerryglg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #11
Ertter11 (Silver Bullet)

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS M6 RRM NPP Exhaust
Thank you for your service sir. I can't wait till I'm 21 to get my license to carry. My father is a police officer and in today's society you never know can't always rely on police. It is nice to have good people like you sir you did the right thing.
Ertter11 (Silver Bullet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
First off, thank you for your service. Second, wow, that is intense. You got lucky, and I'm glad you, your family, and car are safe.

I see you live in Louisiana, I'm originally from Wisconsin and moved to Arkansas. It's really pathetic that racism is alive and well in the South.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #13
ff815

Drives: 2013 SS AGM
Sorry to hear about this dangerous and unfortunate incident; I'm glad it ended the way it did. I applaud your restraint and tactics in handling a situation that could have been deadly.
Thank you for your service, you make us all proud!
ff815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
rush2112

Drives: 2013 2LT Auto CRM. 2009 night train
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarowa View Post
A little much? Its obvious .....Holly crap I dont know how to respond to such a moronic statement. He protected his family. Thats ALL that matters.
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote