Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 11-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #29
phk36

Drives: 45 th 2ss convertible
I also love the car just do not love the top problems. I would love to see t tops again😄
Old 11-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #30
PDILLON

Drives: GMC Slycone - 2011 SS Camaro conv.
Any one have buckling or waves behind rear side window above rear fender ? Sorry dont know how to post pictures.
PDILLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #31
phk36

Drives: 45 th 2ss convertible
Do a search on broken bow I think its the fifth bow
Old 11-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #32
BronxRS

Drives: '13 2LT RS Convertible - AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twintitan View Post
If you find a dealer that knows how to put it on. The rub marks becomes holes!
What he said...problem is, good luck finding a dealer like this.

Taking your top in to a dealer who will use a third party upholstery/soft top mercenary is usually fatal. How GM gets away with allowing this to happen is absurd. I just took my top in last week because of a slightly warped rear window seal that let a single drop of water in after a hose car wash. The leak was confirmed after a soak test and the dealer offered to replace the roof under warranty.

After the fabric replacement a few days ago, I now have: 1) an uneven seal along the trunk; 2) more wind noise; 3) a rear quarter window that clunks when it goes down; 4) a string that was hanging from between the passenger side roof/headliner; 5) a nylon strap rivet that popped when I tested the roof cycling myself today in my garage; 6) rear braces that don't fully retract when the roof is cycled open; and 7) a roof that does not close as tightly with the motor, causing me to have to pull harder on it to close it

Needless to say, it's going back to the dealer. What a PITA!!!! I am steamed beyond words...

I have written to GM as well - don't know why uncertified third parties are being given warranty work by dealers...they can't train their own to do this work?
BronxRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #33
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxRS View Post
What he said...problem is, good luck finding a dealer like this.

Taking your top in to a dealer who will use a third party upholstery/soft top mercenary is usually fatal. How GM gets away with allowing this to happen is absurd. I just took my top in last week because of a slightly warped rear window seal that let a single drop of water in after a hose car wash. The leak was confirmed after a soak test and the dealer offered to replace the roof under warranty.

After the fabric replacement a few days ago, I now have: 1) an uneven seal along the trunk; 2) more wind noise; 3) a rear quarter window that clunks when it goes down; 4) a string that was hanging from between the passenger side roof/headliner; 5) a nylon strap rivet that popped when I tested the roof cycling myself today in my garage; 6) rear braces that don't fully retract when the roof is cycled open; and 7) a roof that does not close as tightly with the motor, causing me to have to pull harder on it to close it

Needless to say, it's going back to the dealer. What a PITA!!!! I am steamed beyond words...

I have written to GM as well - don't know why uncertified third parties are being given warranty work by dealers...they can't train their own to do this work?
Ok from what I gather from talking to others the top being hard to latch where you have to pull it down is normal with the new top. Mine was almost impossible for me to latch I had to use both hands. After two weeks it was easy again to latch but is still did not close all the way by its self. The two side arms should ride higher than the old top but should not stick up so high that your tonneau has to hold them down. They should not touch the tonneau when installed. The other stuff you mentioned is wrong.
Mine is back in to get the side arms adjusted. Other than that mine looks great with no leaks. Just don't get mad and yell at the service advisor. Remain calm and let him know what you expect. Give them a couple more chances then ask for them to call in a Factory Engineer to fix it. If they refuse get in touch with one of the factory service people on here, they will take your information and the dealers name and open a case for you. Don't be an ass with them and take it through proper channels until you get it fixed to your satisfaction.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #34
BronxRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Ok from what I gather from talking to others the top being hard to latch where you have to pull it down is normal with the new top. Mine was almost impossible for me to latch I had to use both hands. After two weeks it was easy again to latch but is still did not close all the way by its self. The two side arms should ride higher than the old top but should not stick up so high that your tonneau has to hold them down. They should not touch the tonneau when installed. The other stuff you mentioned is wrong.
Mine is back in to get the side arms adjusted. Other than that mine looks great with no leaks. Just don't get mad and yell at the service advisor. Remain calm and let him know what you expect. Give them a couple more chances then ask for them to call in a Factory Engineer to fix it. If they refuse get in touch with one of the factory service people on here, they will take your information and the dealers name and open a case for you. Don't be an ass with them and take it through proper channels until you get it fixed to your satisfaction.
Hey AngryBird - appreciate your feedback. I can assure you I've remained very calm with the Service Manager, but have documented everything to a tee including photos. My dilemma is I've yet to hear from a Canadian GM tech on this forum. Several GM techs from the US seem to respond/PM on the general forum...not so much on the Canadian one. I simply want my car whole again, and will not rest until GM Canada makes it so. I don't even know if "buy backs" are an option for us as I don't believe we have similar lemon laws here. I don't want to part with her. My ten year old daughter started crying when I even suggested it as an option She believes she's getting it when she's sixteen

Please post what happens with your side arm adjustments (who did what, and is it related to the roof, the brace, or another part of the car). As far as the tightness to secure the latch, here is a photo of the gap left when the hydraulic motor stops on the "closing" cycle. It's way higher than it used to stop. Did yours (or anyone else's) leave such a gap. I'd love to see some photos of other owners' verts for the "normal" gap at the post-motor, pre-latch stage.

Best of luck with your Camaro AngryBird. I know how much you love that car, as I do mine.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #35
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxRS View Post
Hey AngryBird - appreciate your feedback. I can assure you I've remained very calm with the Service Manager, but have documented everything to a tee including photos. My dilemma is I've yet to hear from a Canadian GM tech on this forum. Several GM techs from the US seem to respond/PM on the general forum...not so much on the Canadian one. I simply want my car whole again, and will not rest until GM Canada makes it so. I don't even know if "buy backs" are an option for us as I don't believe we have similar lemon laws here. I don't want to part with her. My ten year old daughter started crying when I even suggested it as an option She believes she's getting it when she's sixteen

Please post what happens with your side arm adjustments (who did what, and is it related to the roof, the brace, or another part of the car). As far as the tightness to secure the latch, here is a photo of the gap left when the hydraulic motor stops on the "closing" cycle. It's way higher than it used to stop. Did yours (or anyone else's) leave such a gap. I'd love to see some photos of other owners' verts for the "normal" gap at the post-motor, pre-latch stage.

Best of luck with your Camaro AngryBird. I know how much you love that car, as I do mine.
Mine was a lot higher than yours at first, but after a couple weeks the material of the new top had stretched enough that it was a lot closer. I do think that is pretty normal with these new tops.
By the way I had both the fabric and frame changed to the 13 design.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:46 AM   #36
BronxRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Mine was a lot higher than yours at first, but after a couple weeks the material of the new top had stretched enough that it was a lot closer. I do think that is pretty normal with these new tops.
By the way I had both the fabric and frame changed to the 13 design.
That's good to know. I guess that leaves the road noise/loose and breaking ties/clunking window/poor rear seal/raised frame members as the critical issues...I guess I feel a little better
Old 04-29-2014, 02:43 PM   #37
gtoimpulse

Drives: 2012 SS 45th, 2020 ZL1 1LE
I brought mine back to the dealer to look again at my wear marks from rubbing the molding by the trunk and to document. They advised me to hold off until there are holes or I get closer to my warranty being up which is 2/2015. I think I will take that advice and when the time comes will have to insist on something being done to either replace the cloth or extend the waranty (or both). I really fear them screwing it up and causing more headaches.
gtoimpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #38
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Hey I had forgotten all about this thread, well mine is a lot better now, it does go far enough down now to get the tonneau cover on. It mostly worked its way out over time. I had an alignment issue on raising the top where the passenger side would not align and make it hard to close. I fixed that myself by adjusting the up stops.
I had requested extended top warranty, today I got the letter saying my top and various other components will be covered until April of 2016 or until 47,000 miles.
I have been using it a lot the last few weeks and everything seems to be working great.

I hope you get your issues fixed soon.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #39
REValie

Drives: 2011Vert 2SS/RS RJT
Hi All, thanks for the info. I have been debating if I should have my top replaced and still not sure. Early Build Mar/Apr of 2011, 20,000 miles. Live in MN.

I have started dialog with the dealer and they are willing to do it. Warranty expires next month. My SS is garaged when not being driven and stored in the winter. So the top does not get used as much as one in CA. The top has wear marks or rubs, they seem to be getting more noticeable. No fray's or holes. Indentations (divots?) or what I believe have been identified as waves along the seams (both sides). Haven't heard much about the wrinkling of top in the area behind the back seat window, is this common? Have not had any issue's with the waterbag. And the 5th bow was serviced.

Sounds like if I can get it replaced with the 13 design things should be good. Thanks Angrybird 12. So maybe the debate is over.

My question is for those who have had tops replaced.

Has anyone experienced any of the same issue's after replacement?
REValie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #40
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REValie View Post
Hi All, thanks for the info. I have been debating if I should have my top replaced and still not sure. Early Build Mar/Apr of 2011, 20,000 miles. Live in MN.

I have started dialog with the dealer and they are willing to do it. Warranty expires next month. My SS is garaged when not being driven and stored in the winter. So the top does not get used as much as one in CA. The top has wear marks or rubs, they seem to be getting more noticeable. No fray's or holes. Indentations (divots?) or what I believe have been identified as waves along the seams (both sides). Haven't heard much about the wrinkling of top in the area behind the back seat window, is this common? Have not had any issue's with the waterbag. And the 5th bow was serviced.

Sounds like if I can get it replaced with the 13 design things should be good. Thanks Angrybird 12. So maybe the debate is over.

I haven noticed any wrinkling in that area, any wrinkles I get now go away in a couple hours after putting the top back up. Speaking of wrinkles the other day I was behind a newer model BMW convertible and it had huge wrinkles all over the top. Much worse than any Camaro I have seen.
I have been very happy with the looks of my top when up since the frame and fabric replacement last November.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #41
walters477

Drives: white 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by REValie View Post

I had the water bag and fifth bow replaced on my 12 2ss, they put the improved water bag and fifth bow in. The wrinkles will come out if you wash it and let it dry in the sun. The rub spots I roughed up with my finger nail and used a lint roller to raise the nap on the fabric, the spots disappeared.
I am very happy with my car, secret is to find a dealer that knows what they are doing. If you get one that has little experience they will make a mess out of the top.
walters477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:44 AM   #42
PDILLON

Drives: GMC Slycone - 2011 SS Camaro conv.
I have the wrinkles (WAVES ) behind the rear side window and have seen others but have not hared much about those either - would like to hear from others
PDILLON is offline   Reply With Quote