Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
SSYellow

Drives: Camaro10 Rally Yellow
Question time to chnage my break pads

hello
I own a camaro ss and as you can see from the title I need to change my break pads and I see I a lot of people talking about using HAWK break Pads my question is can I use them with out applying any changes to my break system just but'em and install them as you install a normal stock breaks or not , if not what do i need to change my other question is which is better
Hawk HP Plus Race brake pads
or Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads

thanks

Last edited by SSYellow; 01-09-2011 at 01:44 AM.
SSYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Camaro54

Drives: Camaro SS2/RS orange/black stripes
I just replaced my pads on my 2010 SS mainly because I didn't like the feel and all the brake dust. I went with the Hawk up grade pad from my stock pads. I did not go with the Ceramic. I believe the HP is probably what I have. I had my shop install them. They said they were a simple replace and go. I don't even think they turned the rotors since I only have 16K on the car. I did go ahead and do the steel braided brake lines and changed the brake fluid to a better fluid for higher temps. I'm considering a driving school this summer up in INDY and if I do that I have heard it's common for the stock brakes to over heat so I was preparing beforehand. The brakes do feel and stop better but just driving around town you won't feel a big difference. The dust problem is much better now. PM me if you need to know more.
Camaro54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
go with the ceramic, no dust
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
SSYellow

Drives: Camaro10 Rally Yellow
anyone have the ceramic ?? would love to hear what they think about it
SSYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Same as swapping in new factory brake pads... nothing extra is required to the brake system (unless you break something)

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
2quick

Drives: none
It really comes down to what you do with the car. Are you hard on brakes? Will you track and street drive your car? The hp plus will stop better than the hp pads. the hp pads will stop about the same as the stock pads if not slightly better. The hp pads will stop better than the ceramic pads but dust more, as well the hp plus pads will be even more dust than the hp pads. Brakes on the Camaro are very easy to change. Let me know if i can help you out anymore. I can get these for you.
2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSYellow View Post
hello
I own a camaro ss and as you can see from the title I need to change my break pads and I see I a lot of people talking about using HAWK break Pads my question is can I use them with out applying any changes to my break system just but'em and install them as you install a normal stock breaks or not , if not what do i need to change my other question is which is better
Hawk HP Plus Race brake pads
or Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads

thanks
If you are concerned more with ultimate stopping power and might be autocrossing your car, go with the HP Plus.

For normal and high-performance street driving, HPS is the best way to go.

If you are very concerned about dust and are willing to give up a little stopping power, choose the Performance Ceramic.

All three of these are a direct OE replacement, so no other other changes are required. If keeping the old rotors, I would suggest at least removing the old pad transfer layer (with a Flex-Hone or Scotch-Brite) and bedding in the new pads properly for best performance. Whoever is installing these for you should take care of that.